Best CD-RW Drives?

DuckTape

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002
Hello folks.

Would you be so kind as to help me answer a couple questions?

What brands (and models, speeds, etc.) of CD-RW drives are more reliable? More quiet? Best of both worlds? Any to avoid?

Thanks much!
DuckTape

P.S. I am posting a similar question about CD Rom drives and DVD Rom drives in the forum about CD Rom drives and DVD Rom drives.

vetplus40

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
This will probably end up being a "personal preference" type thread,but here goes.I have had good luck with both Sony,and Yamaha devices.....:)

If ya don't ask..How ya gonna know.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
LiteOn is the best. My LiteOn LTR-40125S (40x/12x/48x) is great. Every LiteOn owner of this forum is very satisfied like me with their LiteOn drives

I recommend LiteOn 48x/24x/48x CD-RW for you. It's the best buy now

<b> "You can put lipstick on a pig, but hey, it's still a pig!" - RobD </b>

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
a little heads up for ya'll Yamaha<A HREF="http://www.cdfreaks.com/news2.php3?ID=5592" target="_new">(link)</A> <i><b>may</i></b> dumping its cdrw manufacturing operation so keep this in mind in terms of future tech support .. now I like yamaha drives and still use a 16x one in my kids machine and it continues to work great in spite of no buffer under run protection (8mb buffer though) so please don't accuse me of bad mouthing them .. just a friendly alert here

<b><font color=blue>Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most </b></font color=blue>

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
Liteon is nice. But you will be unsatisfied with the acoustical noise they bring with the small price :smile: ....they are a lil loud but are of very good quality...
If you want the best and dont mind paying for it Plextor make the best CD writers

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
I was actually quite pleased with the noise.
Sure it was a tad loud, but what do you expect for something running at 9000rpm or so???
FAR quieter than other fast spinning optical drives ive heard! (liteon dvd, sony 52x, pioneer 106S etc)

All 40X or grater burners will by their nature be loud.

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I swear by my 40x12x40 Samsung drive. Not the fastest, but it's got an 8mb cache and after 200+ cd's, still not a single coaster. Also, it can overburn like crazy.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti

tua

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2002
i had samsung and it died when i tried to burn the third CD, so i will never buy samsung again

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
So far ive had 2 cd's die on me...

1 was why trying out blindwrite and its odd aspi layer trying to copy a copy protected game.

The only other problem was with a TDK non 48x certified disk on an uber hot day last week (room temp 32.5C). I was trying to burn at 52x and it didnt finalise properly... got stuck in a loop.
Maybe i should get some 48x certified media and stop burning at 52x for everything! hehe

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>

JPWRana

Distinguished
May 2, 2002
I really have been looking into Plextor and Lite on. However, I know that Lite-On is NOT ONLY CHEAPER than plextor (in $$$ that is), but it has ALOT MORE success in copying copyrighted games. Does Plextor have these same advantages also??! Also, which overburns more/better (i don't care how fast it overburns...)

The greatest risk of all is not taking one!

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
With more and more cheap burners with advanced features that make getting coasters almost a thing of past, Plextor is lossing its niche in the market. Who needs an expensive burner when a cheap one can do the same job?

dhlucke

Polypheme
I'd like to vote AGAINST Hewlett Packard. They suck. It doesn't make coasters, but it lacks features (what good is a burner that can't burn copy protected cd's?) and the company stopped supporting it for WinXP.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Introducing the NVIDIA GeForceFX: The first Videocard designed exclusively for deaf people!</A></font color=red>

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Actually HP makes very bad CDRW drive. My friend have a 16X model and when she try to burn music cd at maxium speed she cannot play the cd correctly. The worst thing is that The CDRW does not give any error message and lead you to think that the CD have been created successfully.

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
I've had no problems with LG and Plextor. They both have served me well.

I really agree that HP is horrible. I use to have a 2x burner that died in less than 2 years. Made lots of coasters and I couldn't even use it as a reader. I think they don't make cd-rw burners any more but only dvd ones.

<i><font color=blue>There is no failure when you believe in success.</font color=blue></i>