Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What type of Ethernet cable should I use?

Last response: in Networking
February 12, 2013 10:41:42 PM

Hi all. I've been having a lot of Wi-Fi connection issues on my Blu-ray player, while streaming netflix, which is upstairs from where the router is located (I have no issues at all streaming wirelessly to my PS3, which is on the same level as the router), so I thought I would try a wired connection and see if that will help. It's been many years since I last bought an Ethernet cable and was unsure of what type I should I get.
I need approx. 50 feet and I see several different types available online for roughly the same $10-20 price range: Cat5e, Cat6, Cat6a, Cat6e and Cat7. So my question is, what type of cable should I buy? Does it really matter? I read that Cat6 is better for longer distances, but I doubt that matters much in home networking.

My router is a Linksys WRT54GS. Thanks =)

More about : type ethernet cable

Best solution

February 12, 2013 11:40:22 PM

The wired ports are 10/100, not gigabit. So category 5 on up will be fine. Cat 6 is pretty good all around for everything up to and including 10Gbase (10 gigabit), however it can be troublesome at those speeds over long distance...

Not a problem you are likely to encounter in home networking.
February 13, 2013 3:33:26 AM

For your current router, Cat5e is your best bet. If you want to plan for the future, go with Cat6.
m
l
Related resources
September 15, 2013 12:29:08 PM

cat 5 and cat6 both had working range of 100 meters (which means approx 330 feet).

So if we consider distance then it won't affect much. However it's true that cat6 is better in performance as compare to cat5 which is why it's almost 20-30 % more expensive than traditional cat5e..but the performance is mostly in speeds so if you are not dealing with speed in Gb/s (which you won't) then there is no need to spend extra cash on cat6.

So go with cat5 for now. For more info on cat 5 http://receivetipstricks.com/cat5-ethernet-cable/
m
l
September 30, 2013 2:17:14 AM

You can opt both cat5e and cat6 but my suggestion is that you should choose cat6 cable...
m
l
July 8, 2014 2:00:34 AM

I think you can use cat6 Ethernet cable is better if you want good speed. Cat6 Network Wire is Ideal for smooth network installations.
m
l
July 8, 2014 2:33:36 AM

Near to me cat6 and cat6e Ethernet Networking cables give to you a batter and smooth network.
m
l
!