Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Computer Locks Up When Wireless Drops

Last response: in Networking
Share
February 12, 2013 11:54:25 PM

Hi guys,

Every time I use internet applications, browsers, game clients, games, etc. the computer will completely lock up and I am required to manually reboot it. All devices stop working and the only way to get it working again is to hard reset. I'm so fed up with it, and have tried virtually everything, so I'm all out of ideas. On top of that, I am getting only 1-9 Mbps download speed, opposed to all my other wireless devices, which are getting 34-36, which is what my wired connection is. Help would be greatly appreciated. Here are my specs:

Core i5 3570k
16GB DDR3 Corsair
1000w Kingwin
Zotac 4gb GTX 680
240 Sandisk Ultra SSD
z77 AsRock Extreme 4 motherboard
D-Link DWA-556 Xtreme N Wifi Card

Thanks.

EDIT: Windows 7 Professional x64 bit

Also, When first installing the card, I used to get around 34 Mbps, as this started occurring just in the past week or so. It works fine in other computers though and my signal strength is showing 100%.
February 13, 2013 12:16:41 AM

I assume this is a Windows 7 machine. Make sure to use the wireless drivers available from D-Link’s website and not those automatically downloaded and installed from Microsoft. Sometimes they’re outdated, or even the wrong ones, and thus lead to problems.
m
0
l
February 13, 2013 12:33:19 AM

eibgrad said:
I assume this is a Windows 7 machine. Make sure to use the wireless drivers available from D-Link’s website and not those automatically downloaded and installed from Microsoft. Sometimes they’re outdated, or even the wrong ones, and thus lead to problems.


I have made sure of this. I removed the previously installed drivers that the windows update tool automatically installed through the device manager and went to the d-link website and downloaded and installed the newest version, which is 1.4, yet, still no luck. Thank you for the suggestion though.

And yes, running windows 7 x64.
m
0
l
February 13, 2013 3:46:00 AM

Figured it out after hours of searching for the culprit! Hamachi, a program my friends and I use for "LAN" so to speak, running a 1mb process, was keeping my speeds from reaching anything past 2 MB. Uninstalled it, and viola, back up to 34.
m
0
l
!