Amazingly stupid repair solution (Rant)

June 10, 2004 5:30:52 PM

So last month my Palm M130 stopped accepting taps in the area where
[Details] button shows up when creating a new appointment. Not good.
So, I manage to dig up the service contract I got when I bought the
thing a couple of years ago. I still have thru September on the
contract, so good deal. I describe the problem to the semi-clueless
girl at Best Buy, who, after ten minutes of futzing with it and
conferring with the tech heads in the back, finally decides to send it
in for repair.

Three weeks later, I get the call from Best Buy; my Palm's back. It's
got about 30 seconds of charge left on the battery, but it's enough to
test it out. I start a new appointment, and go to hit [Details]...
Yep, you probably guessed it. Still not working.

So I go right back to the counter. They print out the report from the
repair tech. Here's what it says: "Disassembled unit, reconnected a
part, plug, unit or assembly." I take this to mean, "Took the back
panel off, looked at it real hard for a minute, then put the back
panel back on before playing solitaire on it until the battery was
almost dead" since that's the amount of improvement I saw in
performance.

One would think that a step in the repair procedure would include
something like "tried to recreate the problem" or "verified that
stated problem no longer existed." Is this part of the reason Palm
sales are bottoming out so badly?

This is like a stereotypical bad car garage, where they replace parts
that don't need fixing, then charge you for it. Wonder if the battery
was drained by the tech rifling through the files in search of
passwords and pin numbers.

I'm now assuming that I'll be told to "upgrade" to a newer model or
some similar swindle. Any recommendations? I use it primarily to set
appointments, store dozens of addresses/phone numbers, and play
Scrabble and Mummy Maze. No MP3 or camera technology required.

Dennis
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 6:26:37 PM

In article <ee7b8830.0406101230.324c26c1@posting.google.com>, Dennis
Kuhn <doctor9@fflax.com> wrote:

> I describe the problem to the semi-clueless
> girl at Best Buy...
> Three weeks later, I get the call from Best Buy; my Palm's back...
> Yep, you probably guessed it. Still not working...
>
> Is this part of the reason Palm sales are bottoming out so badly?

I don't think so. I think it might be why I make a point to buy things
anywhere BUT Best Buy. Aside from their abysmal support of these
service contracts they push so hard, they're often not even CLOSE to
the lowest price in town. (I'm considering a Tungsten E -- every store
in town has them for $199.95 *except* Best Buy. They want $219.95.)

Best Buy is evil.

--
Garner R. Miller
Manchester, CT =USA=

In article <Iznyc.10760$0g3.2522394@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>, Andrew <I_dont_like_ham_@_or_spam_thanks.NOSPAM.net> writes:
> btw, I never buy the service contracts on anything
> computer/electronic. The way tech moves, by the time it outlives the
> warranty, the same warranty money will get me a similar unit or a
> little more money will get me a better one. I hate to sound
> "disposable" but they really don't build anything along these lines to
> be repaired anymore.

I tend to agree with that statement, be it a computer, car, fridge, or
whatever. The one exception I made was when I bought a demo model DV
camcorder. First being a demo, it was half price, and OfficeMax prices the
contract by the item price, so it too was half price. Second being a demo
model, I didn't know what problems it might have. Finally, camcorders have
LOTS of mechanical stuff, and the warranty even covers a battery
replacement, which I'm about to need and would cost more than the warranty
did.

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
>>> To reply, remove the TRABoD! <<<
Kaplow Klips & Baffle: http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

June 13, 2004 4:36:11 AM

On 10 Jun 2004 13:30:52 -0700, doctor9@fflax.com (Dennis Kuhn) wrote:

>Three weeks later, I get the call from Best Buy; my Palm's back. It's
>got about 30 seconds of charge left on the battery, but it's enough to
>test it out. I start a new appointment, and go to hit [Details]...
>Yep, you probably guessed it. Still not working.

Three weeks???? Must have sent it to Palm's repair center in India.

>So I go right back to the counter. They print out the report from the
>repair tech. Here's what it says: "Disassembled unit, reconnected a
>part, plug, unit or assembly." I take this to mean, "Took the back
>panel off, looked at it real hard for a minute, then put the back
>panel back on before playing solitaire on it until the battery was
>almost dead" since that's the amount of improvement I saw in
>performance.

>Dennis

In the 1970's I worked for a major corporation that sold 2-way
business band radios (the same kind that police and fire departments
use). A new, top of the line radio cost $1700 and would last for 20
years in just about any enviroment. A Maintenance Contract cost about
$7.50 / month. The company made more, much much more, money on their
service contracts than they did selling radios. That's why I never,
ever buy service contracts.

Another aspect to service contracts is that your Best Buy contract is
with Best Buy, not Palm. Best Buy contracts out their repair work to
the lowest bidder. Any wonder you get techs that can't fix it?
Jack

"The virtuous need but few laws; for it is not the law which determines
their actions, but their actions which determine the law."

-- Theophrastus
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 4:01:53 AM

doctor9@fflax.com (Dennis Kuhn) wrote:

>So last month my Palm M130 stopped accepting taps in the area where
>[Details] button shows up when creating a new appointment. Not good.
>So, I manage to dig up the service contract I got when I bought the
>thing a couple of years ago. I still have thru September on the
>contract, so good deal. I describe the problem to the semi-clueless
>girl at Best Buy, who, after ten minutes of futzing with it and
>conferring with the tech heads in the back, finally decides to send it
>in for repair.
>
>Three weeks later, I get the call from Best Buy; my Palm's back. It's
>got about 30 seconds of charge left on the battery, but it's enough to
>test it out. I start a new appointment, and go to hit [Details]...
>Yep, you probably guessed it. Still not working.

[snip]

If you decide Best Buy has your money and no interest in fixing the M130 - then
you have four options:

1. yell louder and to more highly placed people in Best Buy

2. open it up, reseat the digitizer cable, and see if that fixes it:
http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen...

3. go to www.gethightech.com and get a new digitizer:
http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen...
$30 + shipping.

4. I'll give you $15 for it.

More about me: http://www.jecarter.com/
VB3/VB6/C/PowerBasic source code: http://www.jecarter.com/programs.html
Freeware for the Palm with NS Basic source code: http://nsb.jecarter.com
Drivers for Pablo graphics tablet and JamCam cameras: http://home.earthlink.net/~mwbt/
Email here: http://www.jecarter.com/contactme.htm
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 6:20:53 PM

On 10 Jun 2004 13:30:52 -0700, doctor9@fflax.com (Dennis Kuhn) was
understood to have stated the following:

>So last month my Palm M130 stopped accepting taps in the area where
>[Details] button shows up when creating a new appointment. Not good.
>So, I manage to dig up the service contract I got when I bought the
>thing a couple of years ago. I still have thru September on the
>contract, so good deal. I describe the problem to the semi-clueless
>girl at Best Buy, who, after ten minutes of futzing with it and
>conferring with the tech heads in the back, finally decides to send it
>in for repair.
>
>Three weeks later, I get the call from Best Buy; my Palm's back. It's
>got about 30 seconds of charge left on the battery, but it's enough to
>test it out. I start a new appointment, and go to hit [Details]...
>Yep, you probably guessed it. Still not working.
>
>So I go right back to the counter. They print out the report from the
>repair tech. Here's what it says: "Disassembled unit, reconnected a
>part, plug, unit or assembly." I take this to mean, "Took the back
>panel off, looked at it real hard for a minute, then put the back
>panel back on before playing solitaire on it until the battery was
>almost dead" since that's the amount of improvement I saw in
>performance.
>
>One would think that a step in the repair procedure would include
>something like "tried to recreate the problem" or "verified that
>stated problem no longer existed." Is this part of the reason Palm
>sales are bottoming out so badly?
>
>This is like a stereotypical bad car garage, where they replace parts
>that don't need fixing, then charge you for it. Wonder if the battery
>was drained by the tech rifling through the files in search of
>passwords and pin numbers.
>
>I'm now assuming that I'll be told to "upgrade" to a newer model or
>some similar swindle. Any recommendations? I use it primarily to set
>appointments, store dozens of addresses/phone numbers, and play
>Scrabble and Mummy Maze. No MP3 or camera technology required.

Your mistake was being a Best Buy Consumer. A few years ago I had some
problems with a IIIC that someone purchased for me for Christmas the
year before; it was *still* within it's service contract. It took me
two hours to get the damned thing exchanged, even though no one was
ahead of me in line at the customer service department when I entered.
That, combined with their assinine policy regarding having to "walk a
hard drive to the check-out" (like I'm going to be able to stick a
hard drive under my shirt?) has forever made me a non-Best Buy
customer. And not that it matters, but within the first week of
operation by the Best Buy in my town, they managed to kill (or let
die) a shop lifter in the parking lot after they apprehended him, but
before the police arrived.

That being said, Best Buy is, for the most part, run by tech flunkies
who can't get jobs anywhere else. Like a poster in another news
group's sig states: "Friends don't let friends shop at Best Buy." I'm
a seriously dissatisfied customer of Best Buy, and if there is a
product available only from that store, I'll live without it. Circuit
City, on the other hand, has been much more responsive, as well as
more reasonable with prices, to my needs. Fortunately the two are
located close together in my burg, although Circuit City is much more
convenient to get to.

Returning to the flunkie-techs, I work as a help desk analyst, and
have the opportunity to interact with a large number of techs. Some of
them are wonderful; others are, well, let's just say I wish I didn't
have to interact with them. Had one call a couple of nights ago trying
to "re-diagnose" a dispatch I did because a customer's modem stopped
working right after lightning struck very close to his building. Tech
wasted 30 minutes blaming the problem on software and/or procedures,
and when he *finally* got around to swapping the modem out, the
problem was resolved in 5 minutes. My guess is that your PDA may have
ended up in the hands of one of these lesser-equipped techs.

My suggestion would be, if you are mechanically inclined, or know
someone who is, would be to see about purchasing a replacement
digitizer and installing it yourself. I know on my old IIIx* series
it's a reasonably simple procedure if you can work with small screws
and cables.

--

The last song I started on my PC was: Searching With My Good Eye Closed-Soundgarden-Badmotorfinger
This is track 12 of 1023 in the current playlist.

On 12 Jun 2004 19:43:10 -0600, kaplow_r@encompasserve.org.TRABoD (Bob
Kaplow) was understood to have stated the following:

>I tend to agree with that statement, be it a computer, car, fridge, or
>whatever. The one exception I made was when I bought a demo model DV
>camcorder. First being a demo, it was half price, and OfficeMax prices the
>contract by the item price, so it too was half price. Second being a demo
>model, I didn't know what problems it might have. Finally, camcorders have
>LOTS of mechanical stuff, and the warranty even covers a battery
>replacement, which I'm about to need and would cost more than the warranty
>did.

I disagree; some items I will buy the contract for, others I won't. A
$400 PDA usually gets a service contract, as if it fails after the
manufacturer's warrantee expires and the unit fails through no fault
of my own, it's nice to be able to get someone else to hassle with
exchange or repair. Other items, like DVD players and what not, I skip
on.

--

The last song I started on my PC was: Pain Lies on the Riverside-Live-I Alone (CDS)
This is track 14 of 1023 in the current playlist.

Anonymous
June 22, 2004 1:34:32 AM

In article <pp8fq1xbkd.ln2@news.conpoint.com>, Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com> writes:
> My personal favorite is when they ask to search your bags on the way out the
> door. Did you know that you are under no legal obligation whatsoever to
> let them do so? Unless they are explicitly accusing you, personally, of
> shoplifting, then they are disallowed by federal law from requiring you to
> open your bags for them.

Correct. And it's no different if one of those stupid alarms go off at the
door. Those things are as bad as car alarms; they are ignored when they go
off. And if they as much as lay a hand on you to stop you, then YOU can file
charges against THEM. Just say no to violations of your rights.

[My wife's pouch used to set a couple of them off every time she went
through. Cell phone, car remote, pda, keys. Never figured out what or why.
But ALWAYS in one or two particular stores. Once we were curious, and she
tool the items out one at a time to see which one it was. Never went off at
all.]