alltaken

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
ok all my power cords were put in by the computer store and frankly they put them in really poorly

they used all those clip things to keep them looking tidy

i had to remove them to install some new brakets at the back (external SATA conectors) and alos a HDD.

i was wondering (now that my power cables are all messy) if it is a problem to wrap electrcal tape (black stretchy type) around the cords to keep them as thin as possible (e.g the yellow red and black cables together)

or is that a silly idea (i don't see why but you guys will know)

svol

Champion
Nope that should work perfectly fine... I also did that to clean the PSU cable mess.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
nup. I used dozens of black cable ties on my beastie. looks good now

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>

vetplus40

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
Don't use the black electrical tape.After a while it leaves a nasty black glue residue on the wires.
Use small black "tie-wraps",or what some folks call "zip-ties" instead.

If ya don't ask..How ya gonna know.

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I'm not sure if what I do is right, but if I don't have any cable ties (zip-ties) around, I reach into my endless drawer of twisty ties.

For the longest time, an 80mm fan was twisty tied into place by my video card

It's all good ^_^

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
twist ties i advise against, at least the ones containing metal in the center of them...

its unlikely, but still possible that the metal bit sticks out and gets caught on something or touches an electrical component... cauzing a short.

cable ties or zip ties are best. you can get boxes of 100 or 200 for a couple of bux.

heat shrink wrap if you know u will never need to undo something haha

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>

alltaken

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
sorry i didn't reply for a while guys i have been having a bad break up.

oh well s*it happens.

ok i was reall wanting to know, not becasue i want to join individual cable groups toegther.

but make a single cord e.g (red yellow and 2xblack) into a solid wire type thing. (like electrical wire has an outer sheth around the three coloured cords)

so i can still undo them!!!
but just have them looking good/better at the same time.

i think i will try buy some shrink stuff that you use the hairdryer on!!!

or some cable ties.

cheers for the respones