Functional Sound Card? (Crashman and all)

DuckTape

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002
Hello Crashman and all.

What would be a functional, non-problematic and very inexpensive sound card? (As old as the Sound Blaster PCI 128 is fine. 5.1 versions not needed.)

Any specific models you've found to meet these criteria?

(Please also specify brands.)

Perhaps one made by Turtle Beach?

Thanks much!
DuckTape

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
a nice and cheap sound card would be the hercules fortissimo II....not to mention it has 5.1 capability...I would stay away from the older sblasters.....

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by civilized on 01/30/03 08:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

HoldenCommodore

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
Like it was said above, the Hurcules Fortissimo II would be more then adequate (if you can still find one around). A card with the C-media 8738 chip would also be adequate, while it may not have the same sound quality as the Fortissimo, the C-media based cards are dirt cheap, and have quite reasonable support.

Cheers

Helpmostimes

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2001
Well im still useing a Creative 512 card.It has all the Basic Speaker Outs.Front ,Rear,and all the useuall ins.Been useing it for about 2 1/2 years.Works really well,and sounds good.With the latest driver from Creative its better yet.But as a note,ive been a Diehard Creative fan from day 1.Say??since around 1988 or so.Im not sure when they started,but that is how long i have been useing them without a problem..Well maybe one.Stupid SBlive Platinum series a few years back..What a Headache.I dumped it really Quick. The 512 card can be had for about $40 or less now. Good luck.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd say a C-Media card. You can get them for around $6! Of course if you had an ISA slot the old ESS 1868F cards were super solid.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, and take a look at <A HREF="http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=AU8810" target="_new">THIS AUREAL CARD</A>, it's an old cheap 2 channel version, one that didn't overload the crappy VIA PCI bus like their later cards did. Built in drivers in XP. $5.50 and should offer clean sound.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>