Anyone got Kult yet?

dawg wrote:
> Has anyone bought this one yet? Any opinions?

It's Diablo 2 with more depth and less raw adrenaline. That's really
all you need to know about it.

Laszlo

Nick Vargish wrote:
> laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu writes:
>
> > It's Diablo 2 with more depth and less raw adrenaline. That's
really
> > all you need to know about it.
>
> What kind of depth? Story and NPCs,

I've read that the story has more depth, but I haven't played enough to
decide whether or not this is true.

There are supposed to be multiple endings, too.

> character development, item variety?

Character and item development is handled in a pretty interesting way.
You have a bunch of abilities, and you can select which ones are
"active" at any time. You gain new abilities by unlocking the elemental
forces inherent in items.

In practice, what this means is that the longer you use an item (the
more monsters you kill with it), the more abilities of that item you
can unlock. For example, if you beat up monsters with a long sword,
maybe you'll get an ability that gives +10% to all melee attacks. You
can then continue using that sword, and later on get another ability
that give +15% (or maybe one that makes your melee attacks faster), or
you can switch to using a Wand of Cold, and get more powerful cold
spells as you rack up the kills.

It's a pretty elegant and deep system. At least, it seemed neat to me.
But, again, I only played it for a couple of hours, so I don't know if
it has staying power.

> As it is, you've piqued my curiosity. :^)

Two factors killed it for me: the first one was that I was simply
burned out on Diablo clones. The second one was that while the method
of character advancement is very interesting, it didn't make up for the
lack of twitch action. Basically, the game wasn't deep enough for a
"real" RPG, and wasn't action-packed enough for a Diabo clone. Also,
character advancement is kind of "blind", unlike Diablo 2. You never
know how many abilities can still be unlocked from an item, and whether
they're any good. (Obviously, this problems can be circumvented, if you
don't mind reading FAQS).

All in all, it was a mediocre game... for me. But I would not be
surprised in the least if someone else were to find it the best action
RPG ever.

> Nick

Laszlo

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu writes:

> It's Diablo 2 with more depth and less raw adrenaline. That's really
> all you need to know about it.

What kind of depth? Story and NPCs, character development, item
variety?

--
# sigmask (lambda deprecation version) 20041028 || feed this to a python
print ''.join([chr(ord(x)-1) for x in 'Ojdl!Wbshjti!=ojdlAwbshjti/psh?'])

Thanks for the detailed response Laszlo!

I dug around, and didn't have to look too far before I found the
demo. Not sure when I'll be able to try it out, since my server
crashed I've been using my desktop system to handle mail and web,
which means I can't really boot it into XP right now. :^(

Maybe I'll try it here at work -- it's not like some people here spend
most of the day playing Bejewled and Zuma. :^)

Nick

--

"dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote in news:3kf7e.572765$w62.530202
@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

> Has anyone bought this one yet? Any opinions?

Still waiting for it to come to the states, without the KULT in the name.
Because we all know that anything named KULT is evil.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

> Two factors killed it for me: the first one was that I was simply
> burned out on Diablo clones.

How many Diablo clones are out there?I haven't played any of them.

dawg wrote:
>> Two factors killed it for me: the first one was that I was simply
>> burned out on Diablo clones.
>
> How many Diablo clones are out there?I haven't played any of them.

Several--Darkstone, Divine Divinity, and Sacred are probably among the
better ones, although none are anywhere near as good as the original.

Well, maybe close to the original for some, but not D2.

--
chainbreaker

Hey knight,
Kult:Heretic Kingdoms was realeased in the U.S on Monday .

Arcana Dragon wrote:
> "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> skrev i meddelelsen
>
> > Several--Darkstone, Divine Divinity, and Sacred are probably among
the
> > better ones, although none are anywhere near as good as the
original.

> Divinity is a MUCH deeper game than Diablo.

So is Kult. Deeper is not necessarily better.

Laszlo

"dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> once tried to test me with:

> Hey knight,
> Kult:Heretic Kingdoms was realeased in the U.S on Monday .

I thought they were dropping the word Kult in the title for the US release.

Not that I care.

I'm supposed to review this game in a couple of days so I guess I shouldn't
say much more about it at this point.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Arcana Dragon wrote:
> laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu skrev i meddelelsen
>
> >> Divinity is a MUCH deeper game than Diablo.
> > So is Kult. Deeper is not necessarily better.
>
> Imnsho Divinity is a far better game than Diablo.

Fair enough, I don't wanna debate that. I just wanted to note that
"Divinity is a MUCH deeper game than Diablo" is not really a relevant
response to "Divine Divinity not being anywhere near as good as Diablo
2" (paraphrase).

> Diablo's force is solely in the multiplayer function, and
> my tastes are purely single player when it comes to RPG's.

I am also a single-player kind of guy, but I would disagree with you. I
played with Diablo 2 and the expansion for _years_, strictly
single-player, before growing terminally sick of it.

> Divinity and Diablo are so different games that it's
> unfair to compare them.

I disagree.

Laszlo

"chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> skrev i meddelelsen

> Several--Darkstone, Divine Divinity, and Sacred are probably among the
> better ones, although none are anywhere near as good as the original.

Divinity is a MUCH deeper game than Diablo.

--
Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu skrev i meddelelsen

>> Divinity is a MUCH deeper game than Diablo.
> So is Kult. Deeper is not necessarily better.

Imnsho Divinity is a far better game than Diablo. Diablo's force is solely
in the multiplayer function, and my tastes are purely single player when it
comes to RPG's. Now Counter-Strike, on the other hand... :)

Arcana Dragon wrote:
> Divinity and Diablo are so different games that it's unfair to compare
> them.

You're way in the minority with that viewpoint.

--
chainbreaker

You're right.I was looking at the gogamer site. They call it Kult:Heretic
kingdoms.I think that's the import.The EBworld site has it as Heretic
Kingdoms.

> You're way in the minority with that viewpoint.

- but I'm usually right anyway. A majority can very well lack in reason and
taste. So there.

--

Arcana Dragon wrote:
> "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> skrev i meddelelsen
>
>> You're way in the minority with that viewpoint.
>
> - but I'm usually right anyway. A majority can very well lack in
> reason and taste. So there.

No problem. I love being in the company of perfection. It removes a lot of
the pressure.

--
chainbreaker

Arcana Dragon <this@ress.is.invalid> writes:

> Diablo's force is solely in the multiplayer function, and my tastes
> are purely single player when it comes to RPG's.

Disagree. I almost never played D2 on battle.net, and only
occasionally with friends on a LAN compared to the many, many hours I
played it single player. I found its charm to be in item acquisition
and the great number of interesting character builds the game allows
for.

Not a lot of story, but that was a strength rather than a weakness. If
it had been more story-driven, I probably wouldn't have played it
through as many times as I did.

Nick

--

>> - but I'm usually right anyway. A majority can very well lack in
>> reason and taste. So there.
> No problem. I love being in the company of perfection. It removes a
> lot of the pressure.

Enjoy, underling! :)