tbcarey

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2003
For some reason, I'm getting real inconsistencies between programs when I try to defragment. Initially I've been using Symantec SpeedDisk 2002 to try and defragment both NTFS and FAT32 volumes, but when I go into XP's defrag utility afterwards, it always claims that the volumes are highly fragmented and need to be defragmented.

I understand that SpeedDisk uses a different method than the regular defragmentation utility in XP (it arranges files by how often they're used or where they belong on a disk), but shouldn't it still defragment the files so that they're not scattered all over the disk? XP's defrag util claims that some of the files are in 200+ fragments.

Any hints as to why? Should I stop using SpeedDisk?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well the files themselves shouldnt be fragmented, but the arrangement within directories and on the disk are.
Diff programs sort the files different ways, by name, by date, by lasted used, by most often used etc.
Choose a defragger thats quick and effective and stick with it.

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well the files themselves shouldnt be fragmented, but the arrangement within directories and on the disk are.
Diff programs sort the files different ways, by name, by date, by lasted used, by most often used etc.
Choose a defragger thats quick and effective and stick with it.

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>