Hard drive failure?

Gauge

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
I have been haveing trouble with my computer randomly rebooting for a couple of weeks now. When trying to run Bestcrypt wipe to permanatly erase deleted files, I noticed that the computer rebooted everytime the wipe got to a certain file. A ".img" file. Anytime I try to do anything with that file such as delete, move, open, etc. the comupter reboots. I tried running fix disk error checking in Windows XP but the computer also shuts down and reboots before finishing this. I have gotten a couple of error messages latley during boot up saying something like "possible hardrive failure immenent, back up files now." Does this sound like my hard drive is failing? Is there any way to fix this or get rid of this file? If I need a new hard drive, I would like to just gost this drive onto the new drive. Will I even be able to do this if the computer shuts down everytime it gets to this point on the disk?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
its possible.
you should do two things immediately though.

A. Backup all your important data (allways a good thing to do)

and

B. Go to the drive manufacturers website and download their drive diagnostic utilities. Use them to get your drive checked.

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>