[WoW] Boneheaded moves

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

I'd like to share a recent boneheaded move of my very own.

I'm part of a group of four in Gnomeregan. Although not the highest
level, I'm the de facto leader [1] as I have some vague sense of the
way to go. We've just killed Electrocutioner 6000 on the elevated
platform and the other party members have used the C punch card
machine there.

Someone asks: "Which way next?" I say "I think I know the way." I then
go to what I think is the walkway. Except it's not. I plummet to the
distant bottom, nearly drained of health, where the mobs promptly kill
me . . . and my groupmates, who trustingly followed me
down.

(Fortunately they didn't hold it against me; after doing the corpse
run to the back door of the instance, we fought our way to the D punch
card and the nearby walkway, where we promptly got crushed by the
first group of Dark Iron Dwarves we met. Still, good times.)

[1] I find that I often become de facto group leader in an instance
simply because I always insist before setting off that we a) define
explicit roles (puller, healer, tank; which Paladin is responsible for
which Blessings and Auras so we can stack them right; that sort of
thing), and b) rebuff regularly (especially important given Paladins'
5-minute buffs).

--
<URL:http://www.pobox.com/~ylee/> PERTH ----> *
Cpu(s): 1.8% us, 1.0% sy, 0.6% ni, 95.1% id, 1.5% wa, 0.1% hi, 0.0% si

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> wrote in

> Someone asks: "Which way next?" I say "I think I know the way." I then
> go to what I think is the walkway. Except it's not. I plummet to the
> distant bottom, nearly drained of health, where the mobs promptly kill
> me . . . and my groupmates, who trustingly followed me
> down.

I guess if someone jumps off a cliff there really ARE people that will
follow along. ;)

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

phlip

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

"knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I guess if someone jumps off a cliff there really ARE people that will
> follow along. ;)
>
> --
>
> Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com
> Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

LOL...

Phlip

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> wrote in
>
>> Someone asks: "Which way next?" I say "I think I know the way." I
>> then
>> go to what I think is the walkway. Except it's not. I plummet to
>> the
>> distant bottom, nearly drained of health, where the mobs promptly
>> kill
>> me . . . and my groupmates, who trustingly followed me
>> down.
>
> I guess if someone jumps off a cliff there really ARE people that
> will
> follow along. ;)

And this is why gnomes make Parachute cloaks...

On a related note, the cloak lasts for like 10 seconds:

If you jump from Ironforge, the cloak's buff runs out
about 3 feet above the ground. Since the buff has worn
out, you now fall at normal speed for about 2 1/2 feet
(seriously, it's less hight than jumping off a dwarf's
shoulders)...but since you're falling at normal speed,
the game calculates damage as if you had just fallen
all the way down (which is actually impossible without
the "glide" effect of the cloak, as you'll hit rocks
down all the way that stop you).

A 2 1/2 foot fall will take you from 3000+ hps to
0. :)

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Mark A. Rimer" <abuse@bellsouth.net> once tried to test me with:

> A 2 1/2 foot fall will take you from 3000+ hps to
> 0. :)

LOL that's wack.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> wrote in
>
>> Someone asks: "Which way next?" I say "I think I know the way." I then
>> go to what I think is the walkway. Except it's not. I plummet to the
>> distant bottom, nearly drained of health, where the mobs promptly kill
>> me . . . and my groupmates, who trustingly followed me
>> down.
>
> I guess if someone jumps off a cliff there really ARE people that will
> follow along. ;)

I didn't know about the "Lemmings" quest.

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Azeus" <azizerrafay@NOSPAMhotmail.com> once tried to test me with:

> "knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> wrote in
>>
>>> Someone asks: "Which way next?" I say "I think I know the way." I then
>>> go to what I think is the walkway. Except it's not. I plummet to the
>>> distant bottom, nearly drained of health, where the mobs promptly kill
>>> me . . . and my groupmates, who trustingly followed me
>>> down.
>>
>> I guess if someone jumps off a cliff there really ARE people that will
>> follow along. ;)
>>

> I didn't know about the "Lemmings" quest.

ROFL.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

"Azeus" <azizerrafay@NOSPAMhotmail.com> writes:

> "knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > I guess if someone jumps off a cliff there really ARE people that will
> > follow along. ;)
> >

> I didn't know about the "Lemmings" quest.

Maybe it's safer to play FFXI, where you cannot jump over cliffs in
the first place.

"Tor Iver Wilhelmsen" <tor.iver.wilhelmsen@broadpark.no> wrote in message
> "Azeus" <azizerrafay@NOSPAMhotmail.com> writes:
>
> > "knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I guess if someone jumps off a cliff there really ARE people that will
> > > follow along. ;)
> > >

> > I didn't know about the "Lemmings" quest.
>
> Maybe it's safer to play FFXI, where you cannot jump over cliffs in
> the first place.

Any time I'm showing WOW to an FFXIer, I make a point of doing all the
things that they can't. Like going into a full pvp battle, and when I'm on
the verge of losing, running at and jumping off of the nearest cliff.
Freaks em out every time (partially from me jumping, and partially from the
brutality inherent in WOW's combat).

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen left a note on my windscreen which said:

> Maybe it's safer to play FFXI, where you cannot jump over cliffs in
> the first place.

And miss posts like this?

I remember helping a shaman do his fire totem quest and I jumped down
the mountain you finish the quest on having recently got my levitate
spell.

Next thing I know is a shammie shooting past me on a downwards
trajectory with a rather worried look across his Taurean brow. He had
obviously just followed me in jumping off, assuming if I could jump off
there, so could he.
--
Stoneskin

My personal army of Sash Crackers on Sunstrider are...

Necrofear - lvl 45 Undead Priest
Jericho - lvl 19 Undead Mage
Jigen - lvl 11 Orc Rogue
Wartorn - lvl 11 Tauren Warrior
Nightmane - lvl 2 Tauren Druid

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

In article <MPG.1ccdb9e0c7255f58989b1a@nntp.dsl.pipex.com>,
no@thanks.com says...

> I remember helping a shaman do his fire totem quest and I jumped down
> the mountain you finish the quest on having recently got my levitate
> spell.
>
> Next thing I know is a shammie shooting past me on a downwards
> trajectory with a rather worried look across his Taurean brow. He had
> obviously just followed me in jumping off, assuming if I could jump off
> there, so could he.

My second day of play involved some bizarre adventures in the next
world. Having been killed, I woke in a graveyard and raced across
Tyndrassil (an island that is a giant tree) to find my corpse.
Unfortunately, I took a shortcut across a river and got swept [yes,
still a ghost] over the edge and down out of the tree.

The problem with Tyndrassil is that there is no entry point at sea
level! Well, there is, but I hadn't found it. After many vain
attempts to climb the roots and get into the central bowl somehow, I
gave up and decided to swim to the nearest continent ;-)

Sadly, when I hit the deep ocean my strength began to leave me and I
lost stamina. Eventually my ghost tragically drowned. I was a bit
concerned, but next thing I woke up in the same graveyard again.

[I guess this is the sort of thing that would never happen in a single-
player CRPG - you would reload. Which, incidentally, rather proves the
point that I and others often make about the damage caused by the
unbalancing reload spell. MMORPGs seem to survive all right without
it.]

- Gerry Quinn

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen <tor.iver.wilhelmsen@broadpark.no> once tried to test
me with:

> "Azeus" <azizerrafay@NOSPAMhotmail.com> writes:
>
>> "knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > I guess if someone jumps off a cliff there really ARE people that will
>> > follow along. ;)
>> >

>> I didn't know about the "Lemmings" quest.
>
> Maybe it's safer to play FFXI, where you cannot jump over cliffs in
> the first place.

Or Guild Wars. ;)

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Gerry Quinn <gerryq@DELETETHISindigo.ie> once tried to test me with:

> Sadly, when I hit the deep ocean my strength began to leave me and I
> lost stamina. Eventually my ghost tragically drowned. I was a bit
> concerned, but next thing I woke up in the same graveyard again.

That's hilarious, I didn't realize that when you are a ghost you can "die
again." Does it hit you with another penalty to item fatigue? :)

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

In article <Xns963CC67E5CC99knight37m@130.133.1.4>, knight37m@email.com
says...
> Gerry Quinn <gerryq@DELETETHISindigo.ie> once tried to test me with:
>
> > Sadly, when I hit the deep ocean my strength began to leave me and I
> > lost stamina. Eventually my ghost tragically drowned. I was a bit
> > concerned, but next thing I woke up in the same graveyard again.
> >
> That's hilarious, I didn't realize that when you are a ghost you can "die
> again." Does it hit you with another penalty to item fatigue? :)

I didn't think to check. You'll just have to try it for yourself...

- Gerry Quinn

Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> writes:

> Or Guild Wars. ;)

Ah, yes, they too have the Glass Wall Syndrome.

> Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> writes:
>
>> Or Guild Wars. ;)
>
> Ah, yes, they too have the Glass Wall Syndrome.

Really? I tried Guild Wars during one of their 'Free Beta Weekends' back in
October, and was very unimpressed with it. But I didn't think to try jumping
off a cliff, lol.

I've often wondered if it's possible to leap into the molten steel at the
Great Forge in Ironforge, since I don't really see a way out. I've not tried
it, might have to create a disposable character just to give it a shot. Of
course, until I tried it, I didn't realize you could fall down into the
subterranean area in Ironforge between the bank and the AH (which,
fortunately, causes no damage and there's a way out).

--
<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Apollorah, 24th level Human Paladin, Ner'zhul

"Firian" <G.Booth@usm.edu> wrote in news:42650bc3$1@nntp.usm.edu:
> I've often wondered if it's possible to leap into the molten steel at
> the Great Forge in Ironforge, since I don't really see a way out. I've
> not tried it, might have to create a disposable character just to give
> it a shot. Of course, until I tried it, I didn't realize you could
> fall down into the subterranean area in Ironforge between the bank and
> the AH (which, fortunately, causes no damage and there's a way out).

Yes it is possible, and you die instantly if you go into the lava at the
bottom. Obviously, this makes it impossible to retrieve your corpse. Of
course you can always talk to the spirit healer if you feel compelled to
try it.

--
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu f'htagn!

"Fredrick Garvin" <mmeine@kidsloveguns.com> wrote in message
> "Firian" <G.Booth@usm.edu> wrote in news:42650bc3$1@nntp.usm.edu:
>> I've often wondered if it's possible to leap into the molten steel at
>> the Great Forge in Ironforge, since I don't really see a way out. I've
>> not tried it, might have to create a disposable character just to give
>> it a shot. Of course, until I tried it, I didn't realize you could
>> fall down into the subterranean area in Ironforge between the bank and
>> the AH (which, fortunately, causes no damage and there's a way out).
>
> Yes it is possible, and you die instantly if you go into the lava at the
> bottom. Obviously, this makes it impossible to retrieve your corpse. Of
> course you can always talk to the spirit healer if you feel compelled to
> try it.

I take it you've tried it? *grin* Hmm, if you jumped in right by the side,
you wouldn't be able to rez as normal when you're close enough? I know I've
always had the option, if I'm close enough horizontally, to rez no matter
how far away vertically my body is (although, perhaps I just haven't been in
a situation where I WAS too far away vertically...?). But no, I don't feel
compelled to try it with any character I care about, was just curious. :)
It's been a concern a few times when moving around the griff area with lag
that makes me lose control of how far my character is going to go.

--
<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Apollorah, 24th level Human Paladin, Ner'zhul
Subtlety, 15 level Human Rogue, Draenor
Etherol, 15 level Human Mage, Draenor
Licentious, 14th level Undead Mage, Draenor
Satyr, 21st level Tauren Druid, Dethecus

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Fredrick Garvin" <mmeine@kidsloveguns.com> wrote in message
> "Firian" <G.Booth@usm.edu> wrote in news:42650bc3$1@nntp.usm.edu:
> > I've often wondered if it's possible to leap into the molten steel at
> > the Great Forge in Ironforge, since I don't really see a way out. I've
> > not tried it, might have to create a disposable character just to give
> > it a shot. Of course, until I tried it, I didn't realize you could
> > fall down into the subterranean area in Ironforge between the bank and
> > the AH (which, fortunately, causes no damage and there's a way out).

You don't die instantly. But the lava is 650'ish damage per tick.

Retrieving your corpse was not an issue. The lava area is small enough that
you can reach the corpse icon while standing on the ledge.

--
Davian / Dearic (Bloodhoof)

"We need a new Mario game, where you rescue the princess in the first ten
minutes, and for the rest of the game you try and push down that sick feeling
in your stomach that she's "damaged goods"... When Peach asks you, in the
quiet of her mushroom castle bedroom "do you still love me?" you pretend to be
asleep. You press the A button rhythmically, to control your breath, keep it
even." - Joey Comeau on increased realism in gaming.

"Firian" <G.Booth@usm.edu> wrote in message news:4265480f$1@nntp.usm.edu...
> "Fredrick Garvin" <mmeine@kidsloveguns.com> wrote in message
>> "Firian" <G.Booth@usm.edu> wrote in news:42650bc3$1@nntp.usm.edu:
>>> I've often wondered if it's possible to leap into the molten steel at
>>> the Great Forge in Ironforge, since I don't really see a way out. I've
>>> not tried it, might have to create a disposable character just to give
>>> it a shot. Of course, until I tried it, I didn't realize you could
>>> fall down into the subterranean area in Ironforge between the bank and
>>> the AH (which, fortunately, causes no damage and there's a way out).

You know, it makes you wonder... what boneheaded people build a city in an
active volcano? What happens when that thing blows? Hopefully Stormwind
has plans to isolate the Deeprun Tram in case of overflow.

>> Yes it is possible, and you die instantly if you go into the lava at the
>> bottom. Obviously, this makes it impossible to retrieve your corpse. Of
>> course you can always talk to the spirit healer if you feel compelled to
>> try it.
>
> I take it you've tried it? *grin* Hmm, if you jumped in right by the side,
> you wouldn't be able to rez as normal when you're close enough? I know
> I've always had the option, if I'm close enough horizontally, to rez no
> matter how far away vertically my body is (although, perhaps I just
> haven't been in a situation where I WAS too far away vertically...?). But
> no, I don't feel compelled to try it with any character I care about, was
> just curious. :) It's been a concern a few times when moving around the
> griff area with lag that makes me lose control of how far my character is
> going to go.

I always shift from autorun to manual when I'm in Ironforge.

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Fredrick Garvin <mmeine@kidsloveguns.com> once tried to test me with:

> Yes it is possible, and you die instantly if you go into the lava at the
> bottom. Obviously, this makes it impossible to retrieve your corpse. Of
> course you can always talk to the spirit healer if you feel compelled to
> try it.

Why would it be impossible to get the corpse? Is it a long drop? You
usually can rez pretty far away from the corpse.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

sanjian wrote:

> You know, it makes you wonder... what boneheaded people build a city in an
> active volcano? What happens when that thing blows? Hopefully Stormwind
> has plans to isolate the Deeprun Tram in case of overflow.

I always thought it was molten metal, not lava... but in either case, if
you *do* happen to fall in, you can always check out Old Ironforge
before rezzing :)

> I always shift from autorun to manual when I'm in Ironforge.

Bah. Doesn't make a blind bit of difference if the lagmonster gets you
when you're moving. Blizzard *really* needs to add a global LFG channel
and put a linked AH in each capital city.

--
Remove the mess to reply.

"Cataleptic" <cat.the.mess@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message

> > I always shift from autorun to manual when I'm in Ironforge.
>
> Bah. Doesn't make a blind bit of difference if the lagmonster gets you
> when you're moving. Blizzard *really* needs to add a global LFG channel
> and put a linked AH in each capital city.

Better yet would be an EQ style "/lfg" interface.

--

Davian wrote:
> "Cataleptic" <cat.the.mess@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
>

>> > I always shift from autorun to manual when I'm in Ironforge.
>>
>> Bah. Doesn't make a blind bit of difference if the lagmonster gets you
>> when you're moving. Blizzard *really* needs to add a global LFG channel
>> and put a linked AH in each capital city.
>>

> Better yet would be an EQ style "/lfg" interface.

On thing's for certain... those Meeting Stones are a dead loss. Those
things simply won't work unless they put them in the capitals, and allow
the player to activate more than one at a time (and by then, you've
basically got /lfg, right? :)

--
Remove the mess to reply.

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

* Cataleptic <cat.the.mess@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

| On thing's for certain... those Meeting Stones are a dead loss. Those
| things simply won't work unless they put them in the capitals, and
| allow the player to activate more than one at a time (and by then,
| you've basically got /lfg, right? :)

Or they could let you teleport straight back to the meeting stone when
there is a full group for you to join. That means you can go ahead and
do other stuff while you wait, and as soon as the group is formed you
can all enter the instance in a matter of seconds.

--
Lars Haugseth