From laptop to Internet thru V220

Tags:
  • Motorola
  • Laptops
  • Cell Phones
  • Connection
  • Internet
Last response: in Brands
a b D Laptop
August 13, 2005 10:55:35 PM

I'm normally get on the Internet from a Toshiba laptop using a land-line
connection, but when I travel I am frequently have no land-line
connection, hence no Internet. I am using a Motorola V220 cell phone for
communication. Can I use "Motorola Phone Tools" and connect to the
Internet through my cell phone?

Thanks--

Big John

More about : laptop internet v220

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 15, 2005 11:56:25 PM

Big John <watson6918@invalid.sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I'm normally get on the Internet from a Toshiba laptop using a land-line
> connection, but when I travel I am frequently have no land-line
> connection, hence no Internet. I am using a Motorola V220 cell phone for
> communication. Can I use "Motorola Phone Tools" and connect to the
> Internet through my cell phone?

Yes. You need the proper account items enabled, but you can use a v220 to
connect via USB cable to the internet.

You can use Mobile Phone Tools, or the free Cingular Connection Manager,
which includes the drivers for the USB modem.

Cingular has a tutorial about USB cable connections.
www.cingular.com customer_service phones&devices
Device Tutorials, select the Motorola V220.
USB Cable Setup - WinXP
"Download and install Cingular Connection Manager"

Check John Navas' page for other clues.
http://navasgrp.home.att.net/tech/cingular/

--
---
a b D Laptop

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <ddqs19$1hj$2@blue.rahul.net> on Mon, 15 Aug 2005 19:56:25 +0000 (UTC),
dold@XReXXFromX.usenet.us.com wrote:

>Big John <watson6918@invalid.sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> I'm normally get on the Internet from a Toshiba laptop using a land-line
>> connection, but when I travel I am frequently have no land-line
>> connection, hence no Internet. I am using a Motorola V220 cell phone for
>> communication. Can I use "Motorola Phone Tools" and connect to the
>> Internet through my cell phone?
>
>Yes. You need the proper account items enabled, but you can use a v220 to
>connect via USB cable to the internet.
>
>You can use Mobile Phone Tools, or the free Cingular Connection Manager,
>which includes the drivers for the USB modem.

Or you can just use Windows Dial-Up Networking.

>Check John Navas' page for other clues.
>http://navasgrp.home.att.net/tech/cingular/

a b D Laptop
August 16, 2005 4:16:31 AM

>>You can use Mobile Phone Tools, or the free Cingular Connection Manager,
>>which includes the drivers for the USB modem.

> Or you can just use Windows Dial-Up Networking.

For the V220-USB modem, you have to load drivers from somewhere.
They aren't part of WinXP.

Once you load Cingular Connection Manager, you can remove it, which leaves
the drivers installed, and then use DUN. (I think that is a defect in
their removal process, leaving the drivers behind, but it's handy.)

I suppose you could just extract the drivers from the Connection Manager
package, but I wanted to see what the package had to offer.

--
---
a b D Laptop

WOW!! Many thanks to all for the great information!! I am "bug eyed"
from reading and "brain dead" from trying to remember it all, but I'm
sure it will all come together after a couple of reviews! I have ordered
the Motorola Phone Tools for my cell phone, and I just got a notice
that it has been shipped. Can't wait for the chance to put it all together!!

If I can get it to work, I figure to save a bundle on phone bills from
the wilds of deep South Texas!!

Thanks again!!

Big John

Big John wrote:
> I'm normally get on the Internet from a Toshiba laptop using a land-line
> connection, but when I travel I am frequently have no land-line
> connection, hence no Internet. I am using a Motorola V220 cell phone for
> communication. Can I use "Motorola Phone Tools" and connect to the
> Internet through my cell phone?
>
> Thanks--
>
> Big John
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 16, 2005 6:04:17 AM

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <ddrb8u$e6p$2@blue.rahul.net> on Tue, 16 Aug 2005 00:16:31 +0000 (UTC),
dold@XReXXFromX.usenet.us.com wrote:

>John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>>>You can use Mobile Phone Tools, or the free Cingular Connection Manager,
>>>which includes the drivers for the USB modem.
>
>> Or you can just use Windows Dial-Up Networking.
>
>For the V220-USB modem, you have to load drivers from somewhere.
>They aren't part of WinXP.

You can use generic drivers.