[EQ2] Question

Question for the EQ2 players... I got the EQ2 trial Saturday to play with a
friend of mine who talked me into trying it, and I was going to go into it
today, but it is scanning all my EQ2 files. Does it do this every time you
run? It takes a long time.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

"Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message news:Xns963CC58A17886knight37m@130.133.1.4...
> Question for the EQ2 players... I got the EQ2 trial Saturday to play with a
> friend of mine who talked me into trying it, and I was going to go into it
> today, but it is scanning all my EQ2 files. Does it do this every time you
> run? It takes a long time.

I think there is a fast scan, and a slower deeper scan. The first time or two that you run it, the
patcher performs the slower scan, then it seems to scan faster.

"James_" <_no_@spam.com> once tried to test me with:

> "Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message
>> Question for the EQ2 players... I got the EQ2 trial Saturday to play
>> with a friend of mine who talked me into trying it, and I was going
>> to go into it today, but it is scanning all my EQ2 files. Does it do
>> this every time you run? It takes a long time.
>>

> I think there is a fast scan, and a slower deeper scan. The first time
> or two that you run it, the patcher performs the slower scan, then it
> seems to scan faster.

Maybe not such a smart move if you're trying to convince someone to play
your game. ;) Although, it could be worse. It could be a server queue. ;)

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

i own a yacht <me@privacy.net> once tried to test me with:

> Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:
>
>> Maybe not such a smart move if you're trying to convince someone to
>> play your game. ;) Although, it could be worse. It could be a server
>> queue. ;)
>
> WoW does the exact same thing whenever it patches.

Right, when it PATCHES, but not when you run it. Unless there is a patch.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

"Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message

> Question for the EQ2 players... I got the EQ2 trial Saturday to play with
> friend of mine who talked me into trying it, and I was going to go into it
> today, but it is scanning all my EQ2 files. Does it do this every time you
> run? It takes a long time.

No, only when there's reason to. The first time you log in, of course, it
needs to do a full first-time validation of all files. Most MMOGs do this,
including WoW, SWG, etc. On later log-ins the list maintained from the full
scan is checked and log-in proceeds unless something unusual is detected. If
for example you try and rename a bogus file the same filename as an intended
file, it will detect this spoofing and will download the original file to
overwrite the renamed file. Standard integrity checking for SOE.

If new content is added via a patch, there will usually be at least a
partial scan. EQ2 adds new content and patches almost weekly so you can
expect small additional scans at least once a week. You also have the
opportunity to choose to have more or fewer "Optional downloads" by checking
the Download Options button for additional choices on what you want
downloaded. I always choose to download everything, including all the
optional "Voiceover" packs, which are large, but which add a touch of
personality to all those NPCs standing around.

A lot of this downloading and scanning may seem like useless and annoying
overhead, but it comes as a result of a fair amount of experience over the
years shipping high volume traffic in a market heavily populated by
exploiters, hackers and pirates who would love to muck things up for SOE.
The result is a more stable system, but *no one* likes full file scans when
they happen, any more than they like waiting in a security line in an
airport.

--
Redbeard, the Lore Seeker
<Veritas>

Descendant of the Elder Winterfury Thunderwolf
<Resolution, Retired>
Barbarian Prophet of The Tribunal
Retired Citizen of Firiona Vie

"Bob Perez" <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> once tried to
test me with:

> No, only when there's reason to. The first time you log in, of course,
> it needs to do a full first-time validation of all files. Most MMOGs
> do this, including WoW, SWG, etc. On later log-ins the list maintained
> from the full scan is checked and log-in proceeds unless something
> unusual is detected. If for example you try and rename a bogus file
> the same filename as an intended file, it will detect this spoofing
> and will download the original file to overwrite the renamed file.
> Standard integrity checking for SOE.

How can it do that if it doesn't scan all the files? I can see it doing it
for critical files, like executables, but why do it for art files and stuff
like that?

> If new content is added via a patch, there will usually be at least a
> partial scan. EQ2 adds new content and patches almost weekly so you
> can expect small additional scans at least once a week.

Yah that's fine, got no problems with that.

> You also have
> the opportunity to choose to have more or fewer "Optional downloads"
> by checking the Download Options button for additional choices on what
> you want downloaded. I always choose to download everything, including
> all the optional "Voiceover" packs, which are large, but which add a
> touch of personality to all those NPCs standing around.

Hmm interesting, didn't know about that.

> A lot of this downloading and scanning may seem like useless and
> annoying overhead, but it comes as a result of a fair amount of
> experience over the years shipping high volume traffic in a market
> heavily populated by exploiters, hackers and pirates who would love to
> muck things up for SOE. The result is a more stable system, but *no
> one* likes full file scans when they happen, any more than they like
> waiting in a security line in an airport.

That's correct, and I think every time you load is overkill. Maybe it could
log when the client has last been full scanned and do it on a different
schedule than every load.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

"Bob Perez" <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> wrote:
> No, only when there's reason to. The first time you log in, of course,
> it needs to do a full first-time validation of all files. Most MMOGs
> do this, including WoW, SWG, etc. On later log-ins the list maintained
> from the full scan is checked and log-in proceeds unless something
> unusual is detected. If for example you try and rename a bogus file
> the same filename as an intended file, it will detect this spoofing
> and will download the original file to overwrite the renamed file.
> Standard integrity checking for SOE.

Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:
>How can it do that if it doesn't scan all the files? I can see it doing it
>for critical files, like executables, but why do it for art files and stuff
>like that?

It's possible to quickly verify that the file exists, has the correct
size and size time stamp. The quick file scan for the full version of
EQ2 takes about a second or two on my computer. It might take longer
if you're using a virus scanner or the HTFS file system.

>> You also have
>> the opportunity to choose to have more or fewer "Optional downloads"
>> by checking the Download Options button for additional choices on what
>> you want downloaded. I always choose to download everything, including
>> all the optional "Voiceover" packs, which are large, but which add a
>> touch of personality to all those NPCs standing around.
>
>Hmm interesting, didn't know about that.

I don't think it's available in the trial version of EQ2.

>> A lot of this downloading and scanning may seem like useless and
>> annoying overhead, but it comes as a result of a fair amount of
>> experience over the years shipping high volume traffic in a market
>> heavily populated by exploiters, hackers and pirates who would love to
>> muck things up for SOE. The result is a more stable system, but *no
>> one* likes full file scans when they happen, any more than they like
>> waiting in a security line in an airport.
>
>That's correct, and I think every time you load is overkill. Maybe it could
>log when the client has last been full scanned and do it on a different
>schedule than every load.

You shouldn't be getting the full, long, file scan everytime you play
the game. If it's taking more a few seconds to scan your files each
time you play, then something's wrong.

Ross Ridge

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU