Is it worth making a jump from 512 meg to 1 gig RAM?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

Would I notice a difference when I'm playing The Sims 2 or Children of
the Nile?

Champion wrote:

> Would I notice a difference when I'm playing The Sims 2 or Children of
> the Nile?

Yes and I don't know.

Champion wrote:
> Would I notice a difference when I'm playing The Sims 2 or Children
of
> the Nile?

Sims 2, yes. It uses a lot of ram, and if you have 1 gig, it will cut
down a lot on the loading time when you leave the house and go
someplace (or go to another house).

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic.]
On 2005-04-19, Champion <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Would I notice a difference when I'm playing The Sims 2 or Children of
> the Nile?

As someone else mentioned it's a great help with hogs like Sims
2. I personally have 1 gig and plan to move to 2 gigs on my next
upgrade. Typically you'll have quick load times in games because
even if the game doesn't cache in memory, the OS will use the
extra unused ram to cache anything its read.

Champion wrote:
> Would I notice a difference when I'm playing The Sims 2 or Children of
> the Nile?

I don't know about those, but it made a helluva difference in Everquest 2.

--
chainbreaker

"Champion" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Would I notice a difference when I'm playing The Sims 2 or Children of
> the Nile?

1GB of RAM is a good idea, particularly for Sims 2 as others here have
already mentioned. Besides that, 1GB of RAM is pretty much becoming
standard on gaming computers these days. With prices dropping the way they
are, I shouldn't be surprised to see 2GB as the norm in a year's time.

Champion wrote:
> Would I notice a difference when I'm playing The Sims 2 or Children
of
> the Nile?

Upgrading to 1 GB of ram will allow you to turn up all the visual
settings that the game has , considering that you have a decent video
card to begin with.

Also more ram allows things to run smoother not faster , less video
stuttering and stuff like that...

Champion wrote:
> Would I notice a difference when I'm playing The Sims 2 or Children of
> the Nile?

Yes!!!! (for BOTH games)

qs8rzr001@sneakemail.com wrote:
> Champion wrote:
>
>>Would I notice a difference when I'm playing The Sims 2 or Children
>
> of
>
>>the Nile?
>

> Upgrading to 1 GB of ram will allow you to turn up all the visual
> settings that the game has , considering that you have a decent video
> card to begin with.
>
> Also more ram allows things to run smoother not faster , less video
> stuttering and stuff like that...

And how, exactly, is doubling your system RAM going to enhance your
graphics card's efficiency with pixel / vertex shading, etc.? It *may*
allow you higher resolutions at similar frame rates, depending on the
rest of the system, but it will most certainly NOT "allow you to turn up
all the visual settings".

HTH,
-joe.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 21:21:32 +1000, Joe Mama
<bloodywanker@drugsmakemecool.com> wrote:

>qs8rzr001@sneakemail.com wrote:
>> Champion wrote:
>>
>> Upgrading to 1 GB of ram will allow you to turn up all the visual
>> settings that the game has , considering that you have a decent video
>> card to begin with.
>>
>> Also more ram allows things to run smoother not faster , less video
>> stuttering and stuff like that...
>>
>And how, exactly, is doubling your system RAM going to enhance your
>graphics card's efficiency with pixel / vertex shading, etc.? It *may*
>allow you higher resolutions at similar frame rates, depending on the
>rest of the system, but it will most certainly NOT "allow you to turn up
>all the visual settings".

You're right that it won't let you turn of ALL the visual settings,
but it'll most likely let you turn up things like texture resolution
and turn on additional animation settings. So it CAN make a game look
better, in addition to simply turning up the resolution.

Nightwing

Distinguished
May 11, 2004
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

I don't play either game, but it did help other games like HL2 when I did.