M&M6: Shadow Guild doors? (spoilers)

Last response: in Video Games
April 19, 2005 6:29:02 AM

Okay, all the talk about this a while back has got me playing Might & Magic
VI again. I found the 1.2 patch and applied it and am trying to do the
Shadow Guild dungeon in the Frozen Highlands. But I can't open or get thru
the doors. One walkthrough I found said just walk into/thru them, but
that's not working. I seem to have a vague memory of there being some kind
of trick or gimmick to getting them to open but can't remember what it is.
Anyone help?

--
Multiversal Mercenaries. You name it, we kill it. Any time, any reality.
Anonymous

James Gassaway wrote:
> Okay, all the talk about this a while back has got me playing Might &
Magic
> VI again. I found the 1.2 patch and applied it and am trying to do
the
> Shadow Guild dungeon in the Frozen Highlands. But I can't open or
get thru
> the doors. One walkthrough I found said just walk into/thru them,
but
> that's not working. I seem to have a vague memory of there being
some kind
> of trick or gimmick to getting them to open but can't remember what
it is.
> Anyone help?

You can't open those doors if you have the 1.2 patch installed. I think
I read somewhere that you can save your game outside the guild, roll
the game back to 1.1, then go in, complete the dungeon and repatch to
version 1.2. But there's nothing critical in the Shadow Guild hideout,
so that's probably more trouble than it's worth.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 1:05:06 PM

"James Gassaway" <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote in message
news:o 1_8e.15160$m31.143529@typhoon.sonic.net...
> Okay, all the talk about this a while back has got me playing Might &
> Magic
> VI again. I found the 1.2 patch and applied it and am trying to do the
> Shadow Guild dungeon in the Frozen Highlands. But I can't open or get
> thru
> the doors. One walkthrough I found said just walk into/thru them, but
> that's not working. I seem to have a vague memory of there being some
> kind
> of trick or gimmick to getting them to open but can't remember what it is.
> Anyone help?

I'm replaying M&M6 right now, but haven't hit the Shadow Guild place in the
Frozen Highlands yet. I'm close to doing it though (if it's where I think it
is), so I'll get back to you on this.

N.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 1:21:08 PM

<burt1112@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> James Gassaway wrote:
>> Okay, all the talk about this a while back has got me playing Might &
> Magic
>> VI again. I found the 1.2 patch and applied it and am trying to do
> the
>> Shadow Guild dungeon in the Frozen Highlands. But I can't open or
> get thru
>> the doors. One walkthrough I found said just walk into/thru them,
> but
>> that's not working. I seem to have a vague memory of there being
> some kind
>> of trick or gimmick to getting them to open but can't remember what
> it is.
>> Anyone help?
>
> You can't open those doors if you have the 1.2 patch installed. I think
> I read somewhere that you can save your game outside the guild, roll
> the game back to 1.1, then go in, complete the dungeon and repatch to
> version 1.2. But there's nothing critical in the Shadow Guild hideout,
> so that's probably more trouble than it's worth.

That's interesting. I *thought* I played M&M6 all the way through with the
1.2 patch and don't remember any such problem, but it's so long ago that I
may be mistaken. Possibly I was just in 1.1 when I got to that place. I'm
replaying it right now with 1.2 installed, so we'll see.

With this new installation I went directly from 1.0 to 1.2, so I don't have
any 1.1 to roll back to.
The patch just modifies the original executable anyway, doesn't it? How do
you "roll back" to an earlier version? (Short of doing another installation
elsewhere and copying that executable?)

N.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 4:03:26 PM

Nostrobino wrote:
> <burt1112@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > James Gassaway wrote:
> >> Okay, all the talk about this a while back has got me playing
Might &
> > Magic
> >> VI again. I found the 1.2 patch and applied it and am trying to
do
> > the
> >> Shadow Guild dungeon in the Frozen Highlands. But I can't open or
> > get thru
> >> the doors. One walkthrough I found said just walk into/thru them,
> > but
> >> that's not working. I seem to have a vague memory of there being
> > some kind
> >> of trick or gimmick to getting them to open but can't remember
what
> > it is.
> >> Anyone help?
> >
> > You can't open those doors if you have the 1.2 patch installed. I
think
> > I read somewhere that you can save your game outside the guild,
roll
> > the game back to 1.1, then go in, complete the dungeon and repatch
> > version 1.2. But there's nothing critical in the Shadow Guild
hideout,
> > so that's probably more trouble than it's worth.
>
> That's interesting. I *thought* I played M&M6 all the way through
with the
> 1.2 patch and don't remember any such problem, but it's so long ago
that I
> may be mistaken. Possibly I was just in 1.1 when I got to that place.
I'm
> replaying it right now with 1.2 installed, so we'll see.

I've played the game 3 times now and encountered this problem every
time. It's also well-documented in several places. The 1.2 patch fixes
a lot of nasty bugs, but also prevents those two doors from being
opened.

> With this new installation I went directly from 1.0 to 1.2, so I
don't have
> any 1.1 to roll back to.
> The patch just modifies the original executable anyway, doesn't it?
How do
> you "roll back" to an earlier version? (Short of doing another
installation
> elsewhere and copying that executable?)

You have to reinstall the game and patch it to 1.1. Then when you're
finished with the dungeon, you can patch to 1.2 again.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 4:08:06 PM

James Gassaway wrote:
> "Auggie" <Imperial.Palace@Rome.com> wrote in message
> news:p s99e.43927$VF5.9564@edtnps89...
> >
> > There were two problems that came up with v1.2 and doors in MM6
> >
> > The first encountered would be the Shadow Guild (none of the doors
operate
> > with v1.2) and the second is a door in... I beleive its Castle
Kriegspire,
> > that doesn't open.
> >
> > IIRC the Shadow Guild doesn't matter to the game (you can still
finish the
> > game without going in there) but you need to be able to open the
second
> door
> > to complete the game.
> >

> But don't you need to clear the Shadow Guild so you can get Stone's
council
> vote?

No. You need to capture the Prince of Thieves to get Stone's vote, but
he's not in the Shadow Guild hideout, he's in the Free Haven sewers.
There's nothing critical to the game in the SG hideout.

> > These door problems are covered quite abit on the net (alot of
people
> > getting stuck... checking FAQs and then wondering why whats in the
> > doesn't work). Alot of the bug fixes for this usually include a
link
> where
> > you can download the MM6 v1.0 or v1.1 executable... what they
suggest is:
> > Skip the Shadow Guild and then when you get to the door in Castle
> Kriegspire
> > and are at the point where you should be able to open it by
clicking in it
> > save the game and exit back to windows. Make a backup copy of your
> MM6.exe
> > file. Copy the downloaded v1.0 version of MM6.exe into your MM6
game
> > folder. Load the game up. Open the door. Walk through the door.
Save
> the
> > game. Exit back to windows. Copy your backup copy of MM6.exe v1.2
back
> into
> > the folder (overwriting the v1.0 of MM6.exe you had) and then load
the
> game
> > back up again.
> >

> Well, that's a pisser. But all you have to do is swap out the one
> executable?

You don't even have to do that. You can play the entire game to
completion with the 1.2 patch. Like I said, there's nothing critical in
the SG hideout, and the door in Kriegspire does have a quest item
behind it, but it's not a game-critical quest. All that not being able
to get through that door means is that you'll miss out on some
experience (and I don't even think it's very much experience - at
least, not by the time you're ready to go into Kriegspire). You can
still get the memory crystal just fine, and that's all you need out of
that castle. So no file-swapping is necessary.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 7:28:47 PM

"Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote in message

> With this new installation I went directly from 1.0 to 1.2, so I don't
have
> any 1.1 to roll back to.
> The patch just modifies the original executable anyway, doesn't it? How do
> you "roll back" to an earlier version? (Short of doing another
installation
> elsewhere and copying that executable?)

There were two problems that came up with v1.2 and doors in MM6

The first encountered would be the Shadow Guild (none of the doors operate
with v1.2) and the second is a door in... I beleive its Castle Kriegspire,
that doesn't open.

IIRC the Shadow Guild doesn't matter to the game (you can still finish the
game without going in there) but you need to be able to open the second door
to complete the game.

These door problems are covered quite abit on the net (alot of people
getting stuck... checking FAQs and then wondering why whats in the FAQ
doesn't work). Alot of the bug fixes for this usually include a link where
you can download the MM6 v1.0 or v1.1 executable... what they suggest is:
Skip the Shadow Guild and then when you get to the door in Castle Kriegspire
and are at the point where you should be able to open it by clicking in it
save the game and exit back to windows. Make a backup copy of your MM6.exe
file. Copy the downloaded v1.0 version of MM6.exe into your MM6 game
folder. Load the game up. Open the door. Walk through the door. Save the
game. Exit back to windows. Copy your backup copy of MM6.exe v1.2 back into
the folder (overwriting the v1.0 of MM6.exe you had) and then load the game
back up again.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 7:50:18 PM

"Auggie" <Imperial.Palace@Rome.com> wrote in message
news:p s99e.43927$VF5.9564@edtnps89...

> "Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote in message
> >
> > With this new installation I went directly from 1.0 to 1.2, so I don't
> have
> > any 1.1 to roll back to.
> > The patch just modifies the original executable anyway, doesn't it? How
do
> > you "roll back" to an earlier version? (Short of doing another
> installation
> > elsewhere and copying that executable?)
>
> There were two problems that came up with v1.2 and doors in MM6
>
> The first encountered would be the Shadow Guild (none of the doors operate
> with v1.2) and the second is a door in... I beleive its Castle Kriegspire,
> that doesn't open.
>
> IIRC the Shadow Guild doesn't matter to the game (you can still finish the
> game without going in there) but you need to be able to open the second
door
> to complete the game.

But don't you need to clear the Shadow Guild so you can get Stone's council
vote?

> These door problems are covered quite abit on the net (alot of people
> getting stuck... checking FAQs and then wondering why whats in the FAQ
> doesn't work). Alot of the bug fixes for this usually include a link
where
> you can download the MM6 v1.0 or v1.1 executable... what they suggest is:
> Skip the Shadow Guild and then when you get to the door in Castle
Kriegspire
> and are at the point where you should be able to open it by clicking in it
> save the game and exit back to windows. Make a backup copy of your
MM6.exe
> file. Copy the downloaded v1.0 version of MM6.exe into your MM6 game
> folder. Load the game up. Open the door. Walk through the door. Save
the
> game. Exit back to windows. Copy your backup copy of MM6.exe v1.2 back
into
> the folder (overwriting the v1.0 of MM6.exe you had) and then load the
game
> back up again.

Well, that's a pisser. But all you have to do is swap out the one
executable?

--
Multiversal Mercenaries. You name it, we kill it. Any time, any reality.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 11:21:19 PM

On that special day, James Gassaway, (dtravel@sonic.net) said...

> I found the 1.2 patch and applied it and am trying to do the
> Shadow Guild dungeon in the Frozen Highlands. But I can't open or get thru
> the doors. One walkthrough I found said just walk into/thru them, but
> that's not working.

You have to save the game at this point, install patch 1.1 over the
1.2, then opne the door. After finishing the Shadow Guild, revert to
Patch 1.2

Patch 1.2 fixed something in the sorcerors house in Kriegspire, IIRC,
which was a one-time-only door before.

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

just so, at no cost.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 1:46:08 AM

> James Gassaway wrote:
> > "Auggie" <Imperial.Palace@Rome.com> wrote in message
> > news:p s99e.43927$VF5.9564@edtnps89...
> > >
> > > There were two problems that came up with v1.2 and doors in MM6
> > >
> > > The first encountered would be the Shadow Guild (none of the doors
> operate
> > > with v1.2) and the second is a door in... I beleive its Castle
> Kriegspire,
> > > that doesn't open.
> > >
> > > IIRC the Shadow Guild doesn't matter to the game (you can still
> finish the
> > > game without going in there) but you need to be able to open the
> second
> > door
> > > to complete the game.
> > >

> > But don't you need to clear the Shadow Guild so you can get Stone's
> council
> > vote?
>
> No. You need to capture the Prince of Thieves to get Stone's vote, but
> he's not in the Shadow Guild hideout, he's in the Free Haven sewers.
> There's nothing critical to the game in the SG hideout.

Some of the walkthroughs have it wrong then. They say that the Prince of
Thieves won't be in the Free Haven sewers until he's been driven out of the
Shadow Guild and a pair of dungeons near Ironfist.

I'll probably clear the Shadow Guild anyways. Just swapping an exe only
takes a minute and I like the idea of being thorough. Just have to remember
to do it again when I hit Kriegspire. :p

--
Multiversal Mercenaries. You name it, we kill it. Any time, any reality.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 1:16:26 PM

"Auggie" <Imperial.Palace@Rome.com> wrote in message
news:p s99e.43927$VF5.9564@edtnps89...

> "Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote in message
>>
>> With this new installation I went directly from 1.0 to 1.2, so I don't
> have
>> any 1.1 to roll back to.
>> The patch just modifies the original executable anyway, doesn't it? How
>> do
>> you "roll back" to an earlier version? (Short of doing another
> installation
>> elsewhere and copying that executable?)
>
> There were two problems that came up with v1.2 and doors in MM6
>
> The first encountered would be the Shadow Guild (none of the doors operate
> with v1.2) and the second is a door in... I beleive its Castle Kriegspire,
> that doesn't open.
>
> IIRC the Shadow Guild doesn't matter to the game (you can still finish the
> game without going in there)

In fact, I niow think that's exactly what I did. I'm trying to find it now
in the far south of Frozen Highlands, but without this message thread and
the map from the Web site I don't think I'd have known about it. There isn't
any quest that involves this particular Shadow Guild place, is there? It's
so long since I first played the game there's a lot I don't remember. But I
did finish it, got the diploma. ;-)

I hate those harpy witches, hate being cursed. That irks me probably more
than anything else the game has to offer. So maybe I gave that area short
shrift the first time.

> but you need to be able to open the second door
> to complete the game.
>
> These door problems are covered quite abit on the net (alot of people
> getting stuck... checking FAQs and then wondering why whats in the FAQ
> doesn't work). Alot of the bug fixes for this usually include a link
> where
> you can download the MM6 v1.0 or v1.1 executable... what they suggest is:
> Skip the Shadow Guild and then when you get to the door in Castle
> Kriegspire
> and are at the point where you should be able to open it by clicking in it
> save the game and exit back to windows. Make a backup copy of your
> MM6.exe
> file. Copy the downloaded v1.0 version of MM6.exe into your MM6 game
> folder. Load the game up. Open the door. Walk through the door. Save
> the
> game. Exit back to windows. Copy your backup copy of MM6.exe v1.2 back
> into
> the folder (overwriting the v1.0 of MM6.exe you had) and then load the
> game
> back up again.

Many thanks. I don't recall any problem with Kriegspire the first time, but
it's very possible I was still playing version 1.0 or 1.1 at that point and
only updated to 1.2 afterward. I am pretty sure, now that you mention it,
that I was unable to get through some door at Castle Kriegspire when I later
started to replay the game, and that of course would have been with the 1.2
patch.

N.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 1:28:14 PM

> <burt1112@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> James Gassaway wrote:
>> > "Auggie" <Imperial.Palace@Rome.com> wrote in message
>> > news:p s99e.43927$VF5.9564@edtnps89...

>> operate
>> Kriegspire,

>> finish the
>> second
>> > door
>> > >

>> > But don't you need to clear the Shadow Guild so you can get Stone's
>> council
>> > vote?
>>
>> No. You need to capture the Prince of Thieves to get Stone's vote, but
>> he's not in the Shadow Guild hideout, he's in the Free Haven sewers.
>> There's nothing critical to the game in the SG hideout.
>>

> Some of the walkthroughs have it wrong then. They say that the Prince of
> Thieves won't be in the Free Haven sewers until he's been driven out of
> the
> Shadow Guild and a pair of dungeons near Ironfist.

Interesting. Maybe one of that pair of dungeons *is* the Shadow Guild
hideout west of Castle Ironfist, and that's the only Shadow Guild you have
to drive him out of? Because I'm now fairly sure I never did do this Shadow
Guild place in the Frozen Highlands, and I'm sure I got the Prince of
Thieves in the Free Haven sewers.

N.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 1:34:43 PM

> Nostrobino wrote:
>> <burt1112@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Might &
>> > Magic
> do
>> > the
>> > get thru
>> > but
>> > some kind
> what
>> > it is.
>> >
>> > You can't open those doors if you have the 1.2 patch installed. I
> think
>> > I read somewhere that you can save your game outside the guild,
> roll
>> > the game back to 1.1, then go in, complete the dungeon and repatch
>> > version 1.2. But there's nothing critical in the Shadow Guild
> hideout,
>> > so that's probably more trouble than it's worth.
>>
>> That's interesting. I *thought* I played M&M6 all the way through
> with the
>> 1.2 patch and don't remember any such problem, but it's so long ago
> that I
>> may be mistaken. Possibly I was just in 1.1 when I got to that place.
> I'm
>> replaying it right now with 1.2 installed, so we'll see.
>
> I've played the game 3 times now and encountered this problem every
> time. It's also well-documented in several places. The 1.2 patch fixes
> a lot of nasty bugs, but also prevents those two doors from being
> opened.
>
>> With this new installation I went directly from 1.0 to 1.2, so I
> don't have
>> any 1.1 to roll back to.
>> The patch just modifies the original executable anyway, doesn't it?
> How do
>> you "roll back" to an earlier version? (Short of doing another
> installation
>> elsewhere and copying that executable?)
>
> You have to reinstall the game and patch it to 1.1. Then when you're
> finished with the dungeon, you can patch to 1.2 again.

Thanks, I'll do that. I'm playing it on the Win98 partition of a dual-boot
machine and wanted to try it on WinME anyway, so this is no problem.

Do I understand you correctly that I won't need anything the 1.2 patch does
for me until after Kriegspire anyway? (I suspect that probably is the way I
played it the first time.)

N.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 1:57:25 PM

Nostrobino wrote:
> <burt1112@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> >> With this new installation I went directly from 1.0 to 1.2, so I
> > don't have
> >> any 1.1 to roll back to.
> >> The patch just modifies the original executable anyway, doesn't
it?
> > How do
> >> you "roll back" to an earlier version? (Short of doing another
> > installation
> >> elsewhere and copying that executable?)
> >
> > You have to reinstall the game and patch it to 1.1. Then when
you're
> > finished with the dungeon, you can patch to 1.2 again.
>
> Thanks, I'll do that. I'm playing it on the Win98 partition of a
dual-boot
> machine and wanted to try it on WinME anyway, so this is no problem.
>
> Do I understand you correctly that I won't need anything the 1.2
patch does
> for me until after Kriegspire anyway? (I suspect that probably is the
way I
> played it the first time.)

You should play as much of the game as possible with 1.2 installed,
since I understand that it fixes some nasty bugs. I couldn't tell you
what, though, as I've never played the game unpatched. Who knows, it
might play just fine.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 2:07:41 PM

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 21:46:08 GMT, "James Gassaway" <dtravel@sonic.net>
wrote:

><burt1112@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> James Gassaway wrote:
>> > "Auggie" <Imperial.Palace@Rome.com> wrote in message
>> > news:p s99e.43927$VF5.9564@edtnps89...

>> operate
>> Kriegspire,

>> finish the
>> second
>> > door
>> > >

>> > But don't you need to clear the Shadow Guild so you can get Stone's
>> council
>> > vote?
>>
>> No. You need to capture the Prince of Thieves to get Stone's vote, but
>> he's not in the Shadow Guild hideout, he's in the Free Haven sewers.
>> There's nothing critical to the game in the SG hideout.
>>

>Some of the walkthroughs have it wrong then. They say that the Prince of
>Thieves won't be in the Free Haven sewers until he's been driven out of the
>Shadow Guild and a pair of dungeons near Ironfist.
>
>I'll probably clear the Shadow Guild anyways. Just swapping an exe only
>takes a minute and I like the idea of being thorough. Just have to remember
>to do it again when I hit Kriegspire. :p

For those of us who do not have access to the 1.1 .exe, could someone
upload it to a binary group and tell us so that we may download it? I
only have the original CDs and the 1.2 patch.
thanks.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 7:43:11 PM

> I hate those harpy witches, hate being cursed. That irks me probably
> more than anything else the game has to offer. So maybe I gave that
> area short shrift the first time.

That's what ICBM:s are for. (Using meteor shower or starburst at long
range, before the monsters are able to start moving). If they die before
they see you they can't curse you.
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 12:19:11 AM

Big McLargehuge wrote:

> For those of us who do not have access to the 1.1 .exe, could someone
> upload it to a binary group and tell us so that we may download it? I
> only have the original CDs and the 1.2 patch.
> thanks.

There's a 1.0 to 1.1 patch here
http://dlh.net/cgi-bin/patdl.cgi?lang=eng&sys=pc&file=m...
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 3:53:24 AM

"Thomas Palm" <Thomas.Palm@chello.removethis.se> wrote in message
> "Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote in
>
>> I hate those harpy witches, hate being cursed. That irks me probably
>> more than anything else the game has to offer. So maybe I gave that
>> area short shrift the first time.
>
> That's what ICBM:s are for. (Using meteor shower or starburst at long
> range, before the monsters are able to start moving). If they die before
> they see you they can't curse you.

ICBMs, right. :-)

I love to take out harpies and Magyars with meteor showers, but they don't
seem to have as much range as the harpy witches' curse spells. By the time
they get close enough to nail 'em with meteors, I've got one guy busy trying
to cure everyone's cursed condition. Starburst I've never tried, as a matter
of fact. I will do so.

The short range of meteor showers has often been a problem for me. With
hydras too; they can nail my party long before I can hit 'em with meteors.
The only method I've found that works is to use the terrain, keep a hill or
cliff between my party and the bad critters and then I *can* get close
enough to lay meteor showers on 'em while they can't hit me because they
don't have a line-of-sight shot. This seems to annoy the hydras a great deal
and a few of them manage to scrabble up the cliffs somehow, which is fun to
watch, especially since by the time they get their heads in sight they're
nearly dead from getting conked with meteors.

N.
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 10:07:00 AM

> "Thomas Palm" <Thomas.Palm@chello.removethis.se> wrote in message
> > "Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote in
> >
> >> I hate those harpy witches, hate being cursed. That irks me probably
> >> more than anything else the game has to offer. So maybe I gave that
> >> area short shrift the first time.
> >
> > That's what ICBM:s are for. (Using meteor shower or starburst at long
> > range, before the monsters are able to start moving). If they die before
> > they see you they can't curse you.
>
> ICBMs, right. :-)
>
> I love to take out harpies and Magyars with meteor showers, but they don't
> seem to have as much range as the harpy witches' curse spells. By the time
> they get close enough to nail 'em with meteors, I've got one guy busy
trying
> to cure everyone's cursed condition. Starburst I've never tried, as a
matter
> of fact. I will do so.
>
> The short range of meteor showers has often been a problem for me. With
> hydras too; they can nail my party long before I can hit 'em with meteors.
> The only method I've found that works is to use the terrain, keep a hill
or
> cliff between my party and the bad critters and then I *can* get close
> enough to lay meteor showers on 'em while they can't hit me because they
> don't have a line-of-sight shot. This seems to annoy the hydras a great
deal
> and a few of them manage to scrabble up the cliffs somehow, which is fun
> watch, especially since by the time they get their heads in sight they're
> nearly dead from getting conked with meteors.

My way of dealing with that is to fly. Fly in at full speed (shift-arrow),
go into turn mode and then when they belch at you dive or climb to avoid the
incoming. Or land and do a 'pogo-stick' (pop-up when they belch and land
again after the spell has missed.) Admittedly gamey but considering how
tightly packed the critters are in some places....

--
Multiversal Mercenaries. You name it, we kill it. Any time, any reality.
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 10:29:30 AM

"Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote in

> "Thomas Palm" <Thomas.Palm@chello.removethis.se> wrote in message
>> "Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote in
>>
>>> I hate those harpy witches, hate being cursed. That irks me probably
>>> more than anything else the game has to offer. So maybe I gave that
>>> area short shrift the first time.
>>
>> That's what ICBM:s are for. (Using meteor shower or starburst at long
>> range, before the monsters are able to start moving). If they die
>> before they see you they can't curse you.
>
> ICBMs, right. :-)
>
> I love to take out harpies and Magyars with meteor showers, but they
> don't seem to have as much range as the harpy witches' curse spells.
> By the time they get close enough to nail 'em with meteors, I've got
> one guy busy trying to cure everyone's cursed condition. Starburst
> I've never tried, as a matter of fact. I will do so.

Then you are doing something wrong. Both Meteors and starburst have a
range so long that the monsters don't see you and don't start moving,
even after you've hit them. Just preselect the spell, go into real time
mode, move so you can just see the monsters and point the cursor at them
and cast the spell using the keyboard command. It doesn't work in turn
based mode, though. (This may be considered as cheating)

This is how you can clear out dragonsand at level 1 (using the level
boosting well) if you are patient. You only need enough spellpoints to take
out one dragon, and then teleport to a temple to refill. Four sorcerors
rule!
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 1:08:22 PM

James Gassaway:

jg> My way of dealing with that is to fly. Fly in at full speed
jg> (shift-arrow), go into turn mode and then when they belch at you
jg> dive or climb to avoid the incoming. Or land and do a 'pogo-stick'
jg> (pop-up when they belch and land again after the spell has missed.)
jg> Admittedly gamey but considering how tightly packed the critters
jg> are in some places....

Hearing stories like that reminds me why I loved these games so much. The
"gameyness" of it all just enhances the experience. I remember taking out a
gold dragon by casting some rock spell down a corridor at which end the
poor beast was stuck in a side niche. It took a hundred casts but we didn't
take a scratch.

Regards, Hartmut "those were the days" Schmider
--
Hartmut Schmider, Queen's University

We are capable of sacrificing ourselves for sentiment.
Sentimentality exacts the sacrifice of others.
Yoritomo-Tashi
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 5:02:14 PM

> "Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote in
>

>> "Thomas Palm" <Thomas.Palm@chello.removethis.se> wrote in message
>>> "Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote in

>>> That's what ICBM:s are for. (Using meteor shower or starburst at long
>>> range, before the monsters are able to start moving). If they die
>>> before they see you they can't curse you.
>>
>> ICBMs, right. :-)
>>
>> I love to take out harpies and Magyars with meteor showers, but they
>> don't seem to have as much range as the harpy witches' curse spells.
>> By the time they get close enough to nail 'em with meteors, I've got
>> one guy busy trying to cure everyone's cursed condition. Starburst
>> I've never tried, as a matter of fact. I will do so.
>
> Then you are doing something wrong. Both Meteors and starburst have a
> range so long that the monsters don't see you and don't start moving,
> even after you've hit them. Just preselect the spell, go into real time
> mode, move so you can just see the monsters and point the cursor at them
> and cast the spell using the keyboard command. It doesn't work in turn
> based mode, though. (This may be considered as cheating)

If you're saying that the range is much increased in real-time mode (over
turn-based mode), then that probably is what I've been doing wrong. I have
always gone into turn-based mode in those circumstances. I *definitely*
cannot get close enough to hit 'em with meteors before they curse me. Just
tried it again this morning. They see me (start moving toward me) long
before I'm close enough. I will try real-time mode as you suggest.

> This is how you can clear out dragonsand at level 1 (using the level
> boosting well) if you are patient. You only need enough spellpoints to
> take
> out one dragon, and then teleport to a temple to refill. Four sorcerors
> rule!

<guffaw!>
I can hardly imagine playing with four sorcerors, but maybe I'll try two or
three one of these days. I think I'll always want one cleric, at least.
That's an intriguing idea, though, four sorcerors. Hmmm.

N.
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 8:36:26 PM

"James Gassaway" <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote in message
> <burt1112@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> Some of the walkthroughs have it wrong then. They say that the Prince of
> Thieves won't be in the Free Haven sewers until he's been driven out of
the
> Shadow Guild and a pair of dungeons near Ironfist.

I don't think there is any thing needed like "driving him out". I found the
Prince of Thieves by stumbling across him when I was just clearing out the
sewers and looking for xp and loot

MM6 and 7 were really basic like that... you could "finish" a quest and get
the XP and reward for it even if you never got the quest in the first place
(IE: in MM7 if you explored the dwarven barrows fully looking for the
lantern of light and came across the "secret meditation spot" and had never
talked to the guy about the promotion (monk, I think it was) he would still
appear to you in a vision and say "Ah, I see you found the meditation spot!
well done here is your promotion to initiate!")

> I'll probably clear the Shadow Guild anyways. Just swapping an exe only
> takes a minute and I like the idea of being thorough. Just have to
remember
> to do it again when I hit Kriegspire. :p

Just remember to swap the v1.2 executable back in when you are done... there
are a few bugs that will make some promotion quests and dungeons unsolvable.
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 8:39:56 PM

"Big McLargehuge" <nomore@spam.com> wrote in message

> For those of us who do not have access to the 1.1 .exe, could someone
> upload it to a binary group and tell us so that we may download it? I
> only have the original CDs and the 1.2 patch.
> thanks.

There is a link at the bottom of this page where you can download the old
executable:
http://www.keytech.com/~klar/MM6/MM6Fix/MM6_Fix.html

It also explains the bug (Shadow Guild doors and Kriegspire door) and what
to do.

Clint
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 9:59:30 PM

> I can hardly imagine playing with four sorcerors, but maybe I'll try
> two or three one of these days. I think I'll always want one cleric,
> at least. That's an intriguing idea, though, four sorcerors. Hmmm.

If you want to finish in as short time as possible it's probably the
best combination. Three sorcerers and a cleric is possible, but once
you get Lloyds Beacon you can always go to a temple to heal and cure
afflictions, and nothing beats a sorcerer in damage potential. (A druid
is tempting since he has more spellpoints at low level, but his promotion
quest is fixed in time so you can't get him promoted in a speed game,
which is a major letdown).
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 9:59:31 PM

> "Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote in
>
>> I can hardly imagine playing with four sorcerors, but maybe I'll try
>> two or three one of these days. I think I'll always want one cleric,
>> at least. That's an intriguing idea, though, four sorcerors. Hmmm.
>
> If you want to finish in as short time as possible it's probably the
> best combination. Three sorcerers and a cleric is possible, but once
> you get Lloyds Beacon you can always go to a temple to heal and cure
> afflictions, and nothing beats a sorcerer in damage potential.

Yes, good points.

> (A druid
> is tempting since he has more spellpoints at low level, but his promotion
> quest is fixed in time so you can't get him promoted in a speed game,
> which is a major letdown).

BTW, I did try casting Meteor Shower in real-time mode and I *still* can't
get enough range. My meteors fall well short of the harpies and the next
time I know most of my party is cursed. I may be doing something wrong, but
I can't imagine what it is.

N.
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 2:28:41 AM

"Justin H." <justinh@NOSPAM.whidbey.net> wrote in message

> > IIRC, the circus at Bootleg Bay doesn't work (no matter what patch you
are
> > using)
> >
> > But the schedule for the circus is supposed to be:
> > April: Blackshire
> > August: Mire of Damned
> > December: Bootleg Bay
>
> The last run through I did I picked up the prince in Bootleg Bay. I've
> got the Millennium edition.

I was also using the "Millennium Edition"

It was awhile ago, but I remember having a problem with the circus at
Bootleg Bay... I took a peek on the net to see if there was any bugs listed
for that and they say that the circus DOES come to town (to Bootleg Bay) but
you can't play any of the games of skill to win prizes. So that must have
been what stuck in my mind all these years as the "bug" and problem with the
Bootleg Bay circus

So yes, it does look like the circus comes to Bootleg Bay... but if you want
to play any of the games for prizes you'll have to go elsewhere.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 3:01:20 AM

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 13:02:14 -0400, "Nostrobino" <not@home.today>
wrote:

><guffaw!>
>I can hardly imagine playing with four sorcerors, but maybe I'll try two or
>three one of these days. I think I'll always want one cleric, at least.
>That's an intriguing idea, though, four sorcerors. Hmmm.

I've won the game with four knights and also with SSSC - but the loss
of merchant skill and trap disarm skill WOULD make SSSS very difficult
particularly before reaching level 10.

Can't say I've done it LATELY... :)
!