M&M6: Shadow Guild doors? (spoilers)

Okay, all the talk about this a while back has got me playing Might & Magic
VI again. I found the 1.2 patch and applied it and am trying to do the
Shadow Guild dungeon in the Frozen Highlands. But I can't open or get thru
the doors. One walkthrough I found said just walk into/thru them, but
that's not working. I seem to have a vague memory of there being some kind
of trick or gimmick to getting them to open but can't remember what it is.
Anyone help?

--
Multiversal Mercenaries. You name it, we kill it. Any time, any reality.
27 answers Last reply

    James Gassaway wrote:
    > Okay, all the talk about this a while back has got me playing Might &
    Magic
    > VI again. I found the 1.2 patch and applied it and am trying to do
    the
    > Shadow Guild dungeon in the Frozen Highlands. But I can't open or
    get thru
    > the doors. One walkthrough I found said just walk into/thru them,
    but
    > that's not working. I seem to have a vague memory of there being
    some kind
    > of trick or gimmick to getting them to open but can't remember what
    it is.
    > Anyone help?

    You can't open those doors if you have the 1.2 patch installed. I think
    I read somewhere that you can save your game outside the guild, roll
    the game back to 1.1, then go in, complete the dungeon and repatch to
    version 1.2. But there's nothing critical in the Shadow Guild hideout,
    so that's probably more trouble than it's worth.

    "James Gassaway" <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote in message
    > Okay, all the talk about this a while back has got me playing Might &
    > Magic
    > VI again. I found the 1.2 patch and applied it and am trying to do the
    > Shadow Guild dungeon in the Frozen Highlands. But I can't open or get
    > thru
    > the doors. One walkthrough I found said just walk into/thru them, but
    > that's not working. I seem to have a vague memory of there being some
    > kind
    > of trick or gimmick to getting them to open but can't remember what it is.
    > Anyone help?

    I'm replaying M&M6 right now, but haven't hit the Shadow Guild place in the
    Frozen Highlands yet. I'm close to doing it though (if it's where I think it
    is), so I'll get back to you on this.

    N.

    <burt1112@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > James Gassaway wrote:
    >> Okay, all the talk about this a while back has got me playing Might &
    > Magic
    >> VI again. I found the 1.2 patch and applied it and am trying to do
    > the
    >> Shadow Guild dungeon in the Frozen Highlands. But I can't open or
    > get thru
    >> the doors. One walkthrough I found said just walk into/thru them,
    > but
    >> that's not working. I seem to have a vague memory of there being
    > some kind
    >> of trick or gimmick to getting them to open but can't remember what
    > it is.
    >> Anyone help?
    >
    > You can't open those doors if you have the 1.2 patch installed. I think
    > I read somewhere that you can save your game outside the guild, roll
    > the game back to 1.1, then go in, complete the dungeon and repatch to
    > version 1.2. But there's nothing critical in the Shadow Guild hideout,
    > so that's probably more trouble than it's worth.

    That's interesting. I *thought* I played M&M6 all the way through with the
    1.2 patch and don't remember any such problem, but it's so long ago that I
    may be mistaken. Possibly I was just in 1.1 when I got to that place. I'm
    replaying it right now with 1.2 installed, so we'll see.

    With this new installation I went directly from 1.0 to 1.2, so I don't have
    any 1.1 to roll back to.
    The patch just modifies the original executable anyway, doesn't it? How do
    you "roll back" to an earlier version? (Short of doing another installation
    elsewhere and copying that executable?)

    N.

    Nostrobino wrote:
    > <burt1112@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > James Gassaway wrote:
    > >> Okay, all the talk about this a while back has got me playing
    Might &
    > > Magic
    > >> VI again. I found the 1.2 patch and applied it and am trying to
    do
    > > the
    > >> Shadow Guild dungeon in the Frozen Highlands. But I can't open or
    > > get thru
    > >> the doors. One walkthrough I found said just walk into/thru them,
    > > but
    > >> that's not working. I seem to have a vague memory of there being
    > > some kind
    > >> of trick or gimmick to getting them to open but can't remember
    what
    > > it is.
    > >> Anyone help?
    > >
    > > You can't open those doors if you have the 1.2 patch installed. I
    think
    > > I read somewhere that you can save your game outside the guild,
    roll
    > > the game back to 1.1, then go in, complete the dungeon and repatch
    > > version 1.2. But there's nothing critical in the Shadow Guild
    hideout,
    > > so that's probably more trouble than it's worth.
    >
    > That's interesting. I *thought* I played M&M6 all the way through
    with the
    > 1.2 patch and don't remember any such problem, but it's so long ago
    that I
    > may be mistaken. Possibly I was just in 1.1 when I got to that place.
    I'm
    > replaying it right now with 1.2 installed, so we'll see.

    I've played the game 3 times now and encountered this problem every
    time. It's also well-documented in several places. The 1.2 patch fixes
    a lot of nasty bugs, but also prevents those two doors from being
    opened.

    > With this new installation I went directly from 1.0 to 1.2, so I
    don't have
    > any 1.1 to roll back to.
    > The patch just modifies the original executable anyway, doesn't it?
    How do
    > you "roll back" to an earlier version? (Short of doing another
    installation
    > elsewhere and copying that executable?)

    You have to reinstall the game and patch it to 1.1. Then when you're
    finished with the dungeon, you can patch to 1.2 again.

    James Gassaway wrote:
    > "Auggie" <Imperial.Palace@Rome.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > There were two problems that came up with v1.2 and doors in MM6
    > >
    > > The first encountered would be the Shadow Guild (none of the doors
    operate
    > > with v1.2) and the second is a door in... I beleive its Castle
    Kriegspire,
    > > that doesn't open.
    > >
    > > IIRC the Shadow Guild doesn't matter to the game (you can still
    finish the
    > > game without going in there) but you need to be able to open the
    second
    > door
    > > to complete the game.
    > >

    > But don't you need to clear the Shadow Guild so you can get Stone's
    council
    > vote?

    No. You need to capture the Prince of Thieves to get Stone's vote, but
    he's not in the Shadow Guild hideout, he's in the Free Haven sewers.
    There's nothing critical to the game in the SG hideout.

    > > These door problems are covered quite abit on the net (alot of
    people
    > > getting stuck... checking FAQs and then wondering why whats in the
    > > doesn't work). Alot of the bug fixes for this usually include a
    link
    > where
    > > you can download the MM6 v1.0 or v1.1 executable... what they
    suggest is:
    > > Skip the Shadow Guild and then when you get to the door in Castle
    > Kriegspire
    > > and are at the point where you should be able to open it by
    clicking in it
    > > save the game and exit back to windows. Make a backup copy of your
    > MM6.exe
    > > file. Copy the downloaded v1.0 version of MM6.exe into your MM6
    game
    > > folder. Load the game up. Open the door. Walk through the door.
    Save
    > the
    > > game. Exit back to windows. Copy your backup copy of MM6.exe v1.2
    back
    > into
    > > the folder (overwriting the v1.0 of MM6.exe you had) and then load
    the
    > game
    > > back up again.
    > >

    > Well, that's a pisser. But all you have to do is swap out the one
    > executable?

    You don't even have to do that. You can play the entire game to
    completion with the 1.2 patch. Like I said, there's nothing critical in
    the SG hideout, and the door in Kriegspire does have a quest item
    behind it, but it's not a game-critical quest. All that not being able
    to get through that door means is that you'll miss out on some
    experience (and I don't even think it's very much experience - at
    least, not by the time you're ready to go into Kriegspire). You can
    still get the memory crystal just fine, and that's all you need out of
    that castle. So no file-swapping is necessary.

    "Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote in message

    > With this new installation I went directly from 1.0 to 1.2, so I don't
    have
    > any 1.1 to roll back to.
    > The patch just modifies the original executable anyway, doesn't it? How do
    > you "roll back" to an earlier version? (Short of doing another
    installation
    > elsewhere and copying that executable?)

    There were two problems that came up with v1.2 and doors in MM6

    The first encountered would be the Shadow Guild (none of the doors operate
    with v1.2) and the second is a door in... I beleive its Castle Kriegspire,
    that doesn't open.

    IIRC the Shadow Guild doesn't matter to the game (you can still finish the
    game without going in there) but you need to be able to open the second door
    to complete the game.

    These door problems are covered quite abit on the net (alot of people
    getting stuck... checking FAQs and then wondering why whats in the FAQ

    On that special day, James Gassaway, (dtravel@sonic.net) said...

    > I found the 1.2 patch and applied it and am trying to do the
    > Shadow Guild dungeon in the Frozen Highlands. But I can't open or get thru
    > the doors. One walkthrough I found said just walk into/thru them, but
    > that's not working.

    You have to save the game at this point, install patch 1.1 over the
    1.2, then opne the door. After finishing the Shadow Guild, revert to
    Patch 1.2

    Patch 1.2 fixed something in the sorcerors house in Kriegspire, IIRC,
    which was a one-time-only door before.

    Gabriele Neukam

    Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

    just so, at no cost.

    > James Gassaway wrote:
    > > "Auggie" <Imperial.Palace@Rome.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > There were two problems that came up with v1.2 and doors in MM6
    > > >
    > > > The first encountered would be the Shadow Guild (none of the doors
    > operate
    > > > with v1.2) and the second is a door in... I beleive its Castle
    > Kriegspire,
    > > > that doesn't open.
    > > >
    > > > IIRC the Shadow Guild doesn't matter to the game (you can still
    > finish the
    > > > game without going in there) but you need to be able to open the
    > second
    > > door
    > > > to complete the game.
    > > >

    > > But don't you need to clear the Shadow Guild so you can get Stone's
    > council
    > > vote?
    >
    > No. You need to capture the Prince of Thieves to get Stone's vote, but
    > he's not in the Shadow Guild hideout, he's in the Free Haven sewers.
    > There's nothing critical to the game in the SG hideout.

    Some of the walkthroughs have it wrong then. They say that the Prince of
    Thieves won't be in the Free Haven sewers until he's been driven out of the
    Shadow Guild and a pair of dungeons near Ironfist.

    I'll probably clear the Shadow Guild anyways. Just swapping an exe only
    takes a minute and I like the idea of being thorough. Just have to remember
    to do it again when I hit Kriegspire. :P

    --
    Multiversal Mercenaries. You name it, we kill it. Any time, any reality.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Auggie" <Imperial.Palace@Rome.com> wrote in message

    > "Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote in message
    >>
    >> With this new installation I went directly from 1.0 to 1.2, so I don't
    > have
    >> any 1.1 to roll back to.
    >> The patch just modifies the original executable anyway, doesn't it? How
    >> do
    >> you "roll back" to an earlier version? (Short of doing another
    > installation
    >> elsewhere and copying that executable?)
    >
    > There were two problems that came up with v1.2 and doors in MM6
    >
    > The first encountered would be the Shadow Guild (none of the doors operate
    > with v1.2) and the second is a door in... I beleive its Castle Kriegspire,
    > that doesn't open.
    >
    > IIRC the Shadow Guild doesn't matter to the game (you can still finish the
    > game without going in there)

    In fact, I niow think that's exactly what I did. I'm trying to find it now
    in the far south of Frozen Highlands, but without this message thread and
    the map from the Web site I don't think I'd have known about it. There isn't
    any quest that involves this particular Shadow Guild place, is there? It's
    so long since I first played the game there's a lot I don't remember. But I
    did finish it, got the diploma. ;-)

    I hate those harpy witches, hate being cursed. That irks me probably more
    than anything else the game has to offer. So maybe I gave that area short
    shrift the first time.

    > but you need to be able to open the second door
    > to complete the game.
    >
    > These door problems are covered quite abit on the net (alot of people
    > getting stuck... checking FAQs and then wondering why whats in the FAQ
    > doesn't work). Alot of the bug fixes for this usually include a link
    > where
    > you can download the MM6 v1.0 or v1.1 executable... what they suggest is:
    > Skip the Shadow Guild and then when you get to the door in Castle
    > Kriegspire
    > and are at the point where you should be able to open it by clicking in it
    > save the game and exit back to windows. Make a backup copy of your
    > MM6.exe
    > file. Copy the downloaded v1.0 version of MM6.exe into your MM6 game
    > folder. Load the game up. Open the door. Walk through the door. Save
    > the
    > game. Exit back to windows. Copy your backup copy of MM6.exe v1.2 back
    > into
    > the folder (overwriting the v1.0 of MM6.exe you had) and then load the
    > game
    > back up again.

    Many thanks. I don't recall any problem with Kriegspire the first time, but
    it's very possible I was still playing version 1.0 or 1.1 at that point and
    only updated to 1.2 afterward. I am pretty sure, now that you mention it,
    that I was unable to get through some door at Castle Kriegspire when I later
    started to replay the game, and that of course would have been with the 1.2
    patch.

    N.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > <burt1112@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> James Gassaway wrote:
    >> > "Auggie" <Imperial.Palace@Rome.com> wrote in message

    >> operate
    >> Kriegspire,

    >> finish the
    >> second
    >> > door
    >> > >

    >> > But don't you need to clear the Shadow Guild so you can get Stone's
    >> council
    >> > vote?
    >>
    >> No. You need to capture the Prince of Thieves to get Stone's vote, but
    >> he's not in the Shadow Guild hideout, he's in the Free Haven sewers.
    >> There's nothing critical to the game in the SG hideout.
    >>

    > Some of the walkthroughs have it wrong then. They say that the Prince of
    > Thieves won't be in the Free Haven sewers until he's been driven out of
    > the
    > Shadow Guild and a pair of dungeons near Ironfist.

    Interesting. Maybe one of that pair of dungeons *is* the Shadow Guild
    hideout west of Castle Ironfist, and that's the only Shadow Guild you have
    to drive him out of? Because I'm now fairly sure I never did do this Shadow
    Guild place in the Frozen Highlands, and I'm sure I got the Prince of
    Thieves in the Free Haven sewers.

    N.
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > Nostrobino wrote:
    >> <burt1112@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Might &
    >> > Magic
    > do
    >> > the
    >> > get thru
    >> > but
    >> > some kind
    > what
    >> > it is.
    >> >
    >> > You can't open those doors if you have the 1.2 patch installed. I
    > think
    >> > I read somewhere that you can save your game outside the guild,
    > roll
    >> > the game back to 1.1, then go in, complete the dungeon and repatch
    >> > version 1.2. But there's nothing critical in the Shadow Guild
    > hideout,
    >> > so that's probably more trouble than it's worth.
    >>
    >> That's interesting. I *thought* I played M&M6 all the way through
    > with the
    >> 1.2 patch and don't remember any such problem, but it's so long ago
    > that I
    >> may be mistaken. Possibly I was just in 1.1 when I got to that place.
    > I'm
    >> replaying it right now with 1.2 installed, so we'll see.
    >
    > I've played the game 3 times now and encountered this problem every
    > time. It's also well-documented in several places. The 1.2 patch fixes
    > a lot of nasty bugs, but also prevents those two doors from being
    > opened.
    >
    >> With this new installation I went directly from 1.0 to 1.2, so I
    > don't have
    >> any 1.1 to roll back to.
    >> The patch just modifies the original executable anyway, doesn't it?
    > How do
    >> you "roll back" to an earlier version? (Short of doing another
    > installation
    >> elsewhere and copying that executable?)
    >
    > You have to reinstall the game and patch it to 1.1. Then when you're
    > finished with the dungeon, you can patch to 1.2 again.

    Thanks, I'll do that. I'm playing it on the Win98 partition of a dual-boot
    machine and wanted to try it on WinME anyway, so this is no problem.

    Do I understand you correctly that I won't need anything the 1.2 patch does
    for me until after Kriegspire anyway? (I suspect that probably is the way I
    played it the first time.)

    N.
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Nostrobino wrote:
    > <burt1112@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >> With this new installation I went directly from 1.0 to 1.2, so I
    > > don't have
    > >> any 1.1 to roll back to.
    > >> The patch just modifies the original executable anyway, doesn't
    it?
    > > How do
    > >> you "roll back" to an earlier version? (Short of doing another
    > > installation
    > >> elsewhere and copying that executable?)
    > >
    > > You have to reinstall the game and patch it to 1.1. Then when
    you're
    > > finished with the dungeon, you can patch to 1.2 again.
    >
    > Thanks, I'll do that. I'm playing it on the Win98 partition of a
    dual-boot
    > machine and wanted to try it on WinME anyway, so this is no problem.
    >
    > Do I understand you correctly that I won't need anything the 1.2
    patch does
    > for me until after Kriegspire anyway? (I suspect that probably is the
    way I
    > played it the first time.)

    You should play as much of the game as possible with 1.2 installed,
    since I understand that it fixes some nasty bugs. I couldn't tell you
    what, though, as I've never played the game unpatched. Who knows, it
    might play just fine.
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 21:46:08 GMT, "James Gassaway" <dtravel@sonic.net>
    wrote:

    ><burt1112@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> James Gassaway wrote:
    >> > "Auggie" <Imperial.Palace@Rome.com> wrote in message

    >> operate
    >> Kriegspire,

    >> finish the
    >> second
    >> > door
    >> > >

    >> > But don't you need to clear the Shadow Guild so you can get Stone's
    >> council
    >> > vote?
    >>
    >> No. You need to capture the Prince of Thieves to get Stone's vote, but
    >> he's not in the Shadow Guild hideout, he's in the Free Haven sewers.
    >> There's nothing critical to the game in the SG hideout.
    >>

    >Some of the walkthroughs have it wrong then. They say that the Prince of
    >Thieves won't be in the Free Haven sewers until he's been driven out of the
    >Shadow Guild and a pair of dungeons near Ironfist.
    >
    >I'll probably clear the Shadow Guild anyways. Just swapping an exe only
    >takes a minute and I like the idea of being thorough. Just have to remember
    >to do it again when I hit Kriegspire. :P

    For those of us who do not have access to the 1.1 .exe, could someone
    upload it to a binary group and tell us so that we may download it? I
    only have the original CDs and the 1.2 patch.
    thanks.
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > I hate those harpy witches, hate being cursed. That irks me probably
    > more than anything else the game has to offer. So maybe I gave that
    > area short shrift the first time.

    That's what ICBM:s are for. (Using meteor shower or starburst at long
    range, before the monsters are able to start moving). If they die before
    they see you they can't curse you.
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Big McLargehuge wrote:

    > For those of us who do not have access to the 1.1 .exe, could someone
    > upload it to a binary group and tell us so that we may download it? I
    > only have the original CDs and the 1.2 patch.
    > thanks.

    There's a 1.0 to 1.1 patch here
    http://dlh.net/cgi-bin/patdl.cgi?lang=eng&sys=pc&file=mm61011.zip&ref=ps
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Thomas Palm" <Thomas.Palm@chello.removethis.se> wrote in message
    > "Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote in
    >
    >> I hate those harpy witches, hate being cursed. That irks me probably
    >> more than anything else the game has to offer. So maybe I gave that
    >> area short shrift the first time.
    >
    > That's what ICBM:s are for. (Using meteor shower or starburst at long
    > range, before the monsters are able to start moving). If they die before
    > they see you they can't curse you.

    ICBMs, right. :-)

    I love to take out harpies and Magyars with meteor showers, but they don't
    seem to have as much range as the harpy witches' curse spells. By the time
    they get close enough to nail 'em with meteors, I've got one guy busy trying
    to cure everyone's cursed condition. Starburst I've never tried, as a matter
    of fact. I will do so.

    The short range of meteor showers has often been a problem for me. With
    hydras too; they can nail my party long before I can hit 'em with meteors.
    The only method I've found that works is to use the terrain, keep a hill or
    cliff between my party and the bad critters and then I *can* get close
    enough to lay meteor showers on 'em while they can't hit me because they
    don't have a line-of-sight shot. This seems to annoy the hydras a great deal
    and a few of them manage to scrabble up the cliffs somehow, which is fun to
    watch, especially since by the time they get their heads in sight they're
    nearly dead from getting conked with meteors.

    N.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > "Thomas Palm" <Thomas.Palm@chello.removethis.se> wrote in message
    > > "Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote in
    > >
    > >> I hate those harpy witches, hate being cursed. That irks me probably
    > >> more than anything else the game has to offer. So maybe I gave that
    > >> area short shrift the first time.
    > >
    > > That's what ICBM:s are for. (Using meteor shower or starburst at long
    > > range, before the monsters are able to start moving). If they die before
    > > they see you they can't curse you.
    >
    > ICBMs, right. :-)
    >
    > I love to take out harpies and Magyars with meteor showers, but they don't
    > seem to have as much range as the harpy witches' curse spells. By the time
    > they get close enough to nail 'em with meteors, I've got one guy busy
    trying
    > to cure everyone's cursed condition. Starburst I've never tried, as a
    matter
    > of fact. I will do so.
    >
    > The short range of meteor showers has often been a problem for me. With
    > hydras too; they can nail my party long before I can hit 'em with meteors.
    > The only method I've found that works is to use the terrain, keep a hill
    or
    > cliff between my party and the bad critters and then I *can* get close
    > enough to lay meteor showers on 'em while they can't hit me because they
    > don't have a line-of-sight shot. This seems to annoy the hydras a great
    deal
    > and a few of them manage to scrabble up the cliffs somehow, which is fun
    > watch, especially since by the time they get their heads in sight they're
    > nearly dead from getting conked with meteors.

    My way of dealing with that is to fly. Fly in at full speed (shift-arrow),
    go into turn mode and then when they belch at you dive or climb to avoid the
    incoming. Or land and do a 'pogo-stick' (pop-up when they belch and land
    again after the spell has missed.) Admittedly gamey but considering how
    tightly packed the critters are in some places....

    --
    Multiversal Mercenaries. You name it, we kill it. Any time, any reality.
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote in

    > "Thomas Palm" <Thomas.Palm@chello.removethis.se> wrote in message
    >> "Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I hate those harpy witches, hate being cursed. That irks me probably
    >>> more than anything else the game has to offer. So maybe I gave that
    >>> area short shrift the first time.
    >>
    >> That's what ICBM:s are for. (Using meteor shower or starburst at long
    >> range, before the monsters are able to start moving). If they die
    >> before they see you they can't curse you.
    >
    > ICBMs, right. :-)
    >
    > I love to take out harpies and Magyars with meteor showers, but they
    > don't seem to have as much range as the harpy witches' curse spells.
    > By the time they get close enough to nail 'em with meteors, I've got
    > one guy busy trying to cure everyone's cursed condition. Starburst
    > I've never tried, as a matter of fact. I will do so.

    Then you are doing something wrong. Both Meteors and starburst have a
    range so long that the monsters don't see you and don't start moving,
    even after you've hit them. Just preselect the spell, go into real time
    mode, move so you can just see the monsters and point the cursor at them
    and cast the spell using the keyboard command. It doesn't work in turn
    based mode, though. (This may be considered as cheating)

    This is how you can clear out dragonsand at level 1 (using the level
    boosting well) if you are patient. You only need enough spellpoints to take
    out one dragon, and then teleport to a temple to refill. Four sorcerors
    rule!
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    James Gassaway:

    jg> My way of dealing with that is to fly. Fly in at full speed
    jg> (shift-arrow), go into turn mode and then when they belch at you
    jg> dive or climb to avoid the incoming. Or land and do a 'pogo-stick'
    jg> (pop-up when they belch and land again after the spell has missed.)
    jg> Admittedly gamey but considering how tightly packed the critters
    jg> are in some places....

    Hearing stories like that reminds me why I loved these games so much. The
    "gameyness" of it all just enhances the experience. I remember taking out a
    gold dragon by casting some rock spell down a corridor at which end the
    poor beast was stuck in a side niche. It took a hundred casts but we didn't
    take a scratch.

    Regards, Hartmut "those were the days" Schmider
    --
    Hartmut Schmider, Queen's University

    We are capable of sacrificing ourselves for sentiment.
    Sentimentality exacts the sacrifice of others.
    Yoritomo-Tashi
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > "Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote in
    >

    >> "Thomas Palm" <Thomas.Palm@chello.removethis.se> wrote in message
    >>> "Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote in

    >>> That's what ICBM:s are for. (Using meteor shower or starburst at long
    >>> range, before the monsters are able to start moving). If they die
    >>> before they see you they can't curse you.
    >>
    >> ICBMs, right. :-)
    >>
    >> I love to take out harpies and Magyars with meteor showers, but they
    >> don't seem to have as much range as the harpy witches' curse spells.
    >> By the time they get close enough to nail 'em with meteors, I've got
    >> one guy busy trying to cure everyone's cursed condition. Starburst
    >> I've never tried, as a matter of fact. I will do so.
    >
    > Then you are doing something wrong. Both Meteors and starburst have a
    > range so long that the monsters don't see you and don't start moving,
    > even after you've hit them. Just preselect the spell, go into real time
    > mode, move so you can just see the monsters and point the cursor at them
    > and cast the spell using the keyboard command. It doesn't work in turn
    > based mode, though. (This may be considered as cheating)

    If you're saying that the range is much increased in real-time mode (over
    turn-based mode), then that probably is what I've been doing wrong. I have
    always gone into turn-based mode in those circumstances. I *definitely*
    cannot get close enough to hit 'em with meteors before they curse me. Just
    tried it again this morning. They see me (start moving toward me) long
    before I'm close enough. I will try real-time mode as you suggest.

    > This is how you can clear out dragonsand at level 1 (using the level
    > boosting well) if you are patient. You only need enough spellpoints to
    > take
    > out one dragon, and then teleport to a temple to refill. Four sorcerors
    > rule!

    <guffaw!>
    I can hardly imagine playing with four sorcerors, but maybe I'll try two or
    three one of these days. I think I'll always want one cleric, at least.
    That's an intriguing idea, though, four sorcerors. Hmmm.

    N.
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "James Gassaway" <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote in message
    > <burt1112@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    > Some of the walkthroughs have it wrong then. They say that the Prince of
    > Thieves won't be in the Free Haven sewers until he's been driven out of
    the
    > Shadow Guild and a pair of dungeons near Ironfist.

    I don't think there is any thing needed like "driving him out". I found the
    Prince of Thieves by stumbling across him when I was just clearing out the
    sewers and looking for xp and loot

    MM6 and 7 were really basic like that... you could "finish" a quest and get
    the XP and reward for it even if you never got the quest in the first place
    (IE: in MM7 if you explored the dwarven barrows fully looking for the
    lantern of light and came across the "secret meditation spot" and had never
    talked to the guy about the promotion (monk, I think it was) he would still
    appear to you in a vision and say "Ah, I see you found the meditation spot!
    well done here is your promotion to initiate!")

    > I'll probably clear the Shadow Guild anyways. Just swapping an exe only
    > takes a minute and I like the idea of being thorough. Just have to
    remember
    > to do it again when I hit Kriegspire. :P

    Just remember to swap the v1.2 executable back in when you are done... there
    are a few bugs that will make some promotion quests and dungeons unsolvable.
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Big McLargehuge" <nomore@spam.com> wrote in message

    > For those of us who do not have access to the 1.1 .exe, could someone
    > upload it to a binary group and tell us so that we may download it? I
    > only have the original CDs and the 1.2 patch.
    > thanks.

    There is a link at the bottom of this page where you can download the old
    executable:
    http://www.keytech.com/~klar/MM6/MM6Fix/MM6_Fix.html

    It also explains the bug (Shadow Guild doors and Kriegspire door) and what
    to do.

    Clint
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > I can hardly imagine playing with four sorcerors, but maybe I'll try
    > two or three one of these days. I think I'll always want one cleric,
    > at least. That's an intriguing idea, though, four sorcerors. Hmmm.

    If you want to finish in as short time as possible it's probably the
    best combination. Three sorcerers and a cleric is possible, but once
    you get Lloyds Beacon you can always go to a temple to heal and cure
    afflictions, and nothing beats a sorcerer in damage potential. (A druid
    is tempting since he has more spellpoints at low level, but his promotion
    quest is fixed in time so you can't get him promoted in a speed game,
    which is a major letdown).
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > "Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote in
    >
    >> I can hardly imagine playing with four sorcerors, but maybe I'll try
    >> two or three one of these days. I think I'll always want one cleric,
    >> at least. That's an intriguing idea, though, four sorcerors. Hmmm.
    >
    > If you want to finish in as short time as possible it's probably the
    > best combination. Three sorcerers and a cleric is possible, but once
    > you get Lloyds Beacon you can always go to a temple to heal and cure
    > afflictions, and nothing beats a sorcerer in damage potential.

    Yes, good points.

    > (A druid
    > is tempting since he has more spellpoints at low level, but his promotion
    > quest is fixed in time so you can't get him promoted in a speed game,
    > which is a major letdown).

    BTW, I did try casting Meteor Shower in real-time mode and I *still* can't
    get enough range. My meteors fall well short of the harpies and the next
    time I know most of my party is cursed. I may be doing something wrong, but
    I can't imagine what it is.

    N.
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Justin H." <justinh@NOSPAM.whidbey.net> wrote in message

    > > IIRC, the circus at Bootleg Bay doesn't work (no matter what patch you
    are
    > > using)
    > >
    > > But the schedule for the circus is supposed to be:
    > > April: Blackshire
    > > August: Mire of Damned
    > > December: Bootleg Bay
    >
    > The last run through I did I picked up the prince in Bootleg Bay. I've
    > got the Millennium edition.

    I was also using the "Millennium Edition"

    It was awhile ago, but I remember having a problem with the circus at
    Bootleg Bay... I took a peek on the net to see if there was any bugs listed
    for that and they say that the circus DOES come to town (to Bootleg Bay) but
    you can't play any of the games of skill to win prizes. So that must have
    been what stuck in my mind all these years as the "bug" and problem with the
    Bootleg Bay circus

    So yes, it does look like the circus comes to Bootleg Bay... but if you want
    to play any of the games for prizes you'll have to go elsewhere.
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 13:02:14 -0400, "Nostrobino" <not@home.today>
    wrote:

    ><guffaw!>
    >I can hardly imagine playing with four sorcerors, but maybe I'll try two or
    >three one of these days. I think I'll always want one cleric, at least.
    >That's an intriguing idea, though, four sorcerors. Hmmm.

    I've won the game with four knights and also with SSSC - but the loss
    of merchant skill and trap disarm skill WOULD make SSSS very difficult
    particularly before reaching level 10.

    Can't say I've done it LATELY... :)

PC gaming Video Games