Internet Slowdown issue

Sal_F

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
Long time lurker, first time poster. This is the first time I've had an issue that I couldn't resolve by searching ;)

I'm having a frustrating issue with my main PC.
Home built EVGA motherboard w/ Intel Core Duo E8400 Wolfdale processor running at 3ghz- never been overclocked, 8 gigs RAM, Win 7 X64
The started suddenly. Downloads of certian files are WICKED slow, others DL as normal. Web forums with embedded pics load just fine, but if I try to watch an imbedded video, buffering takes eons. Same issue trying to watch anything on Youtube or Liveleak. Gmail will load, but it takes over 3 min. I give up on netflix after waiting 5 min for the home page to display all the choices.

Testing my Internet connex at speedtest.net shows no issues I'm getting 30Mbps down and 5Mbps up ( ping is usually under 10 )
I've run numerous scans for spyware and trojans. Scanned my HDs from within windows and show no bad sectors. Ran memtest 64, all RAM checks out good, tried using new cat 5 cable from router to PC, tried going straight from modem to PC.

I even went so far as to reinstall Windows, and I am STILL having the same issue. I'll admit, after reinstalling windows and still having the same problem, I wanted to take the box out in the back yard and shoot it. :fou:

Everything else on my home network ( wired I have another desktop PC, the security DVR and the network printer. Wi-fi has the blu-ray player, the AVR and on and off connex for 2 i-phones, my android phone, 2 netbooks, and one ipad ) works as it should.

UPS is scheduled today to deliver a new SSD that I am going to install and use as my C: drive, but I dont have alot of confidence in the C: drive being the issue. Has anyone had a similar issue? ANyone offer some troubleshooting ideas that I havnt tried as of yet?

Any help would be GREATLY apprecated. My frustration level is rising and I am getting closer to a 12 gauge fix. :cry:

indyitguy

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
I don't blame you for wanting to go all Office Space on it... lol

Did you check to make sure Flash is up to date for your buffering latency? Does it happen in multiple browsers? Have you tried other patch cables?

Sal_F

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
Yep. I have the most recent updates to flash, I've tried numerous cables and numerous ports on the router, and the issue persists no matter what browser I'm using. I've tried IE, Chrome, and Firefox.

Sal_F

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
and the plot thickens...
Last night I installed the SSD and reinstalled Windows again with no change. Well other than WICKED fast boot times now.

What is interesting, is I also last night upgraded the other PC in the house from Win XP to Win 7 X64, and now it is having the same issue.

I have TWO boxes to go "Office Space" on now!

Wondering if I should contact my ISP at this point, or replace the router.

indyitguy

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Is it the ISP's router?

You can view all processes by bandwith usage if you run the Resource Monitor in windows 7. Just type Resource Monitor in the run box... At least you can see if there is something running you don't know about.

Sal_F

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
ISP's Modem, router is mine.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Doing more troubleshooting this morning I started switching computers around.
It would appear that Win 7 and a wired connection to the 'net give me an issue. If I go to wi-fi on the same computer, everything works fine.

My mind is blown. Sounds like an issue with the router/switch, yes?

Sal_F

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013

Were that the case, the problem would have ALWAYS been there and not just suddenly started, correct?

indyitguy

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

good point... maybe a change in the network card settings? Windows 7 driver?

Sal_F

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
Tiger Direct didn't have the router I wanted in stock locally, so it has been ordered :)
For now, I'm going from the ISP's Modem, into a Dlink 5 port switch. The Router and all the wired connections are run to the Switch, wi-fi is running off the Router. Everything seems to be working 5 by 5.

I hope it stays stable till I get the new router !

Sal_F

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013

Correct. Wifi was working fine. Problem only existed with the wired connection. Modem is ISP equipment Wifi router is mine.
After doing some more reading and talking to people, it would appear that the Modem my ISP provided was NOT DOCSIS 3.0 or IPv6 compliant.

I went to the ISP and exchanged the modem for a D3 compliant modem ( no IPv6 modems available in my area yet :fou: ) unchecked all the IPv6 boxes in my settings, and things seem to be working great. We will see what the next few days hold!

Sal_F

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
NOTHING about this issue makes any sense, and now, even with the new modem and IPv6 unchecked, it is doing it again.

At this point I am feeling like the worlds thickest dunce, and am thinking I would be better served by actually calling best buy's geek squad to come over and figgure out wtf I am not seeing or doing wrong.

indyitguy

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Wow! This is getting rediculous... Let me send a few emails out to some colleagues and see what they think. I'm not a fan of geek squad... Not that they don't know what they're doing, they are way over priced.

Sal_F

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
I was being sarcastic about Geek Squad, but I am going to start looking/asking about a competent local shop or tech on Monday if I cant get this pegged over the weekend.

I've been messing with Computers since I was 13 and got my first Timex / Sinclair 2000 in 1984. This is the first time I've had an issue I couldn't resolve with some research and some thought, but this problems seems backwards. If it was the wireless that wasn't working or bogging down, that would make sense, but this?

It defies logic and makes me wonder WTH I am not seeing

indyitguy

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
lol... My bad on the geek squad... Yea it's not making any sense. It has to be something with your ISP's equipment... They could have relased a firmware update that isn't allowing the full potential of your hardware.

Longshot here...
Maybe both NIC cards have bad memory... Do you have another card you can swap out to test?

Sal_F

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013

No spare card, but if that was the issue, would it be intermittent? Also, my netbook works fine when it is connected via Wi-Fi. If I disconnect from the Wi Fi and plug the patch cable in it dose the same thing.

My wifes laptop is still running XP. I'm going to have her bring it home on Monday to see if I can replacate the issue on XP.