  • RPG
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
April 20, 2005 1:16:36 AM

I'm thinking of playing this (should be cheap now, including all
expansions); how about some ratings -- was it good enough to play through to
the finish?

More about : opinions neverwinter nights

Anonymous
April 20, 2005 2:30:00 AM

"Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca> wrote in message
> I'm thinking of playing this (should be cheap now, including all
> expansions); how about some ratings -- was it good enough to play through
> the finish?

I really enjoyed the official campaign of the original. The first
expansion - Shadows of Undrentide left me disappointed, but Hordes of the
underdark - I've replayed it several times. It's simmply awesome. The game
itself is not as good as the Baldur's Gate series, but it is a lot of fun.
on a scale of 1-10, I would give it an 8.2.

One thing of mention - it has a HIGH replayability factor with all the
custom adventures out there.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 2:54:37 AM

Yes, Neverwinter Nights is fantastic.
In the official campaign, I played a fighter/rogue/mage
and had a blast. It gets very difficult, and the treasures leave
you trying to find more. Wait till you are challenged by a mere giant
spider, and have victory over it, and you will see what I mean.

"Melketh" <abcdef@ghijk.com> wrote in message

> "Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca> wrote in message
>> I'm thinking of playing this (should be cheap now, including all
>> expansions); how about some ratings -- was it good enough to play through
>> the finish?
>>

> I really enjoyed the official campaign of the original. The first
> expansion - Shadows of Undrentide left me disappointed, but Hordes of the
> underdark - I've replayed it several times. It's simmply awesome. The
> game
> itself is not as good as the Baldur's Gate series, but it is a lot of fun.
> on a scale of 1-10, I would give it an 8.2.
>
> One thing of mention - it has a HIGH replayability factor with all the
> custom adventures out there.

April 20, 2005 5:42:47 AM

"Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca> wrote in

> I'm thinking of playing this (should be cheap now, including all
> expansions); how about some ratings -- was it good enough to play
> through to the finish?

It doesnt have a finish. Its not so much a game as it is an "engine"
(something a game is made on)

When it came out it disappointed alot of people because it only had a
couple of little modules. Now there are alot of excellent player-made
modules. If you played DnD many of the old favorite paper modules for that
have been redone by players for NWN

WHen it came out many thought it was not worth the money. But I would say
that now its more than worth the money. Especially if its on sale

Gandalf Parker
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 6:09:56 AM

"Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca> once tried to test me with:

> I'm thinking of playing this (should be cheap now, including all
> expansions); how about some ratings -- was it good enough to play
> through to the finish?

It's not as good as Baldur's Gate series, but it's worth playing IMHO. The
first campaign (the one that shipped with orginal package) is not quite as
polished as the others. If you get the full meal deal you could start with
the Shadows of Undrentide scenario first, since it's more of a side quest
and not really intended to follow up the original campaign (with the same
char that is).

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 9:23:21 AM

Grackle wrote:
> I'm thinking of playing this (should be cheap now, including all
> expansions); how about some ratings -- was it good enough to play through to
> the finish?

While everyone is on the topic, I have questions about it as well. I've
only played it for a few minutes at a friend's house, but I found the
default camera view disorienting. I often have this problem with 3D
games, but the KotOR games haven't been so bad. Is there a way to lock
the camera angle so that it works like in KotOR? Also, is there an
auto-pause setting like in BG, so you can play it in a pseudo-turn-based
fashion?
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 10:53:13 AM

The gameplay is horrible. It's not a diablo clone and it's not a
tactical RPG (like DisGaea or Temple of Elemental Evil) it's a ghastly
mix of both. It's also no a single character game, and not party based
either just a frustrating comprimise. The interface's wheel selection
(as compared to FFT/Disgaea/Ogre Battle's simple menu's) is shoddy and
counterintuitive. Temple of Elemental Evil I saw for 10$ and trounces
NWN with it's awesome tactical battles (it still has the wheel menu's
though) rather than the hybrid poop in the mouth the fights of NwN are.

This one and dungeon siege are real stinkers that you should not fall
for, even at 10-20$.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 10:56:39 AM

I tried the game and just didn't like it, it was too 'consoly' for my
taste (i.e. break all barrels to get healing potions if I remember
correctly, who puts healing potions in a barrel?). Besides, to me D&D
is about group fighting, and NWN was meant to play solo (with the
henchman that mostly was there just to open locks if you weren't a
rogue).
I thought maybe someone could make modules that were impossible to play
solo and required a group of people to play online, but since I only
played the game for a week or so, didn't get to see if that eventually
happened
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 12:25:34 PM

Grackle wrote:
> I'm thinking of playing this (should be cheap now, including all
> expansions); how about some ratings -- was it good enough to play through to
> the finish?

You can find the Platinum Edition (original with both expansions) for
less than $15, so it's quite a bargain. Unlike several other posters, I
found the first campaign quite interesting, the expansions slightly less
so. I've played through all three several times with great enjoyment,
but the real value of this game is the huge number of player-built
single player scenarios & campaigns available on the net. You'll need a
broadband connection to download any of the good ones as they are all
quite large, and you'll also want to read up on which are worthwhile and
which aren't so as not to waste your time. You can also play on-line on
private NWN servers, some of which are reputed to be quite good but
since I've not looked into that area I can't offer any advice.

Note: the construction set ships with the game and you can build your
own scenarios, twink your characters or do just about anything the
original designers did.

As someone mentioned, the camera-angle aspect can be a bit of a problem,
especially if you play a larger character and need to see something on
the floor in tight quarters. The view system is flexible but I confined
myself to the smaller races because of this annoyance. YMMV
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 12:30:10 PM

"Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message
> "Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca> once tried to test me with:
>
>> I'm thinking of playing this (should be cheap now, including all
>> expansions); how about some ratings -- was it good enough to play
>> through to the finish?
>
> It's not as good as Baldur's Gate series, but it's worth playing IMHO. The
> first campaign (the one that shipped with orginal package) is not quite as
> polished as the others. If you get the full meal deal you could start with
> the Shadows of Undrentide scenario first, since it's more of a side quest
> and not really intended to follow up the original campaign (with the same
> char that is).

That seems to be the general consensus then, that I shouldn't bother with
the original campaign. I remember seeing a Gold package on shelves which I
believe has all the expansions -- going to see if I can find that today.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 12:52:11 PM

Grackle wrote:

> I'm thinking of playing this (should be cheap now, including all
> expansions); how about some ratings -- was it good enough to play through to
> the finish?

Don't bother with the OC. Play SOU and HOTU. There are some great mods
out there as well, but you might have do find what mods YOU like...
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 1:00:45 PM

littlemute wrote:

> The gameplay is horrible. It's not a diablo clone and it's not a
> tactical RPG (like DisGaea or Temple of Elemental Evil) it's a ghastly
> mix of both. It's also no a single character game, and not party based
> either just a frustrating comprimise. The interface's wheel selection
> (as compared to FFT/Disgaea/Ogre Battle's simple menu's) is shoddy and
> counterintuitive. Temple of Elemental Evil I saw for 10$ and trounces
> NWN with it's awesome tactical battles (it still has the wheel menu's
> though) rather than the hybrid poop in the mouth the fights of NwN are.

TOEE!!!??? That bug fest!??? I wouldn't buy that game at $10. While
it is interesting, I've never finished it because I COULDN'T...too many
friggin' bugs.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 1:25:55 PM

It's got worse than bugs, the horrible non-rotatable 2D/3D maps that
you lose your party members in; the chore of moving your characters
around the screens and losing them in the dungeon passageways is an
uber headache (where did the rest of my undead gnolls go?). It's also
not an easy game to get through all the way. However the tactical
combat makes all the BS well worth it, it's absolutely superb!
Everything that makes D&D3.5 an actual worthwhile game is in there.
plus fantastic character animations, great sounds, and all those
options. Patch it, suffer through the bugs and other tediums and get
into fights! This is one game where one of the parts is much greater
than the whole.

NWN combat: "Ok where was that circle I need to click? why isn't my guy
doing anything? Why isn't my guy doing anything? Why isn't my guy doing
anything? Did I not click the circle? Where was it again? My god this
is boring"
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 3:45:40 PM

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 21:16:36 -0400, "Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca>
wrote:

>I'm thinking of playing this (should be cheap now, including all
>expansions); how about some ratings -- was it good enough to play through to
>the finish?

The Original Campaign was not very good, but the two expansions were
much better. Just ignore the first one, and play through SoU and HotU in
order, and you shouldn't be disappointed.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 3:45:41 PM

Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 21:16:36 -0400, "Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca>
> wrote:
>
>>I'm thinking of playing this (should be cheap now, including all
>>expansions); how about some ratings -- was it good enough to play through to
>>the finish?
>
> The Original Campaign was not very good, but the two expansions were
> much better. Just ignore the first one, and play through SoU and HotU in
> order, and you shouldn't be disappointed.

I skipped the original campaign, and I'm not quite happy with SoU. Too
combat oriented, and death is too sudden. I keep reloading save games,
but I think a game should be playable without that. Some people advised
me to gain a few levels in the original campaign and then transport that
character to SoU, so perhaps that works out better.

mcv.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 4:35:01 PM

Briarroot <woodsyl@iwon.com> wrote in news:116cil94rtc5734
@corp.supernews.com:

> As someone mentioned, the camera-angle aspect can be a bit of a problem,
> especially if you play a larger character and need to see something on
> the floor in tight quarters. The view system is flexible but I confined
> myself to the smaller races because of this annoyance. YMMV

What I found about the camera was that it was a pain in the ass until I got
used to using the scroll button on my mouse to adjust the camera angle.
Once I got used to that, adjusting the camera took no thought at all and
was actually pretty easy.

--
Marcel
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

"Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca> wrote in
news:o Xr9e.10702$Jg5.670311@news20.bellglobal.com:

> That seems to be the general consensus then, that I shouldn't bother
> with the original campaign. I remember seeing a Gold package on
> shelves which I believe has all the expansions -- going to see if I
> can find that today.

That would be the Platinum pack. The Gold edition, IIRC, has only NWN and
the first Expansion. Be warned, the manual is very poorly written. Some of
the page numbers are wrong, and some of the charts are mis-labelled.

Personally, I am going through the OC, and find it quite enjoyable.

--
Marcel
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 05:23:21 GMT, Troll <newstroll@shaw.ca> wrote:

>Grackle wrote:
>> I'm thinking of playing this (should be cheap now, including all
>> expansions); how about some ratings -- was it good enough to play through to
>> the finish?
>>

>While everyone is on the topic, I have questions about it as well. I've
>only played it for a few minutes at a friend's house, but I found the
>default camera view disorienting. I often have this problem with 3D
>games, but the KotOR games haven't been so bad. Is there a way to lock
>the camera angle so that it works like in KotOR? Also, is there an
>auto-pause setting like in BG, so you can play it in a pseudo-turn-based
>fashion?

AFAIK there's no way to lock the camera, except with the first person
hack. Like BG and KoTOR you can pause and issue commands.

LYnley
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 10:39:08 PM

Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
> Briarroot <woodsyl@iwon.com> wrote in news:116cil94rtc5734
> @corp.supernews.com:
>

>>As someone mentioned, the camera-angle aspect can be a bit of a problem,
>>especially if you play a larger character and need to see something on
>>the floor in tight quarters. The view system is flexible but I confined
>>myself to the smaller races because of this annoyance. YMMV
>

> What I found about the camera was that it was a pain in the ass until I got
> used to using the scroll button on my mouse to adjust the camera angle.
> Once I got used to that, adjusting the camera took no thought at all and
> was actually pretty easy.

Yeah, I used the mouse wheel, but I still had trouble seeing over my
character's shoulders in confined spaces, especially when I played one
of the larger races like humans & half-orcs. There were times when I
fervently wished that the game had provided a first-person view option.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 11:23:59 PM

"Marcel Beaudoin" <mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com> wrote in message
> "Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca> wrote in
> news:o Xr9e.10702$Jg5.670311@news20.bellglobal.com:
>
>> That seems to be the general consensus then, that I shouldn't bother
>> with the original campaign. I remember seeing a Gold package on
>> shelves which I believe has all the expansions -- going to see if I
>> can find that today.
>
> That would be the Platinum pack. The Gold edition, IIRC, has only NWN and
> the first Expansion. Be warned, the manual is very poorly written. Some of
> the page numbers are wrong, and some of the charts are mis-labelled.

Yes, I noticed it was the Platinum edition when I saw it on the shelf -- had
to go to three stores before I found it though...
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 2:59:32 AM

"Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca> once tried to test me with:

> That seems to be the general consensus then, that I shouldn't bother
> with the original campaign. I remember seeing a Gold package on
> shelves which I believe has all the expansions -- going to see if I
> can find that today.

Be sure you get the Platinum edition, not the Gold edition. Platinum
contains all the expansions, while Gold I think only has the first game and
the first expansion.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 3:35:24 PM

Grackle in <oXr9e.10702$Jg5.670311@news20.bellglobal.com>:

> That seems to be the general consensus then, that I shouldn't bother with
> the original campaign. I remember seeing a Gold package on shelves which I
> believe has all the expansions -- going to see if I can find that today.

The 'consensus' seems to be limited to a couple old grouches - there were
quite a few respondents in this thread who enjoyed the OC, and you can add
me to that list. I enjoyed it tremendously.

SoU can be a bit of a mixed bag; some lengths in places but real highlights
in others (Deekin <g>). Definitely worth playing as a Paladin at least
once. Starting SoU with a non-combat character at level 1 may be a bit
tough.
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 4:25:00 PM

Darth Frog <sherlog@t-online.de> looked up from reading the entrails of

>Grackle in <oXr9e.10702$Jg5.670311@news20.bellglobal.com>:
>
>> That seems to be the general consensus then, that I shouldn't bother with
>> the original campaign. I remember seeing a Gold package on shelves which I
>> believe has all the expansions -- going to see if I can find that today.
>
>The 'consensus' seems to be limited to a couple old grouches - there were
>quite a few respondents in this thread who enjoyed the OC, and you can add
>me to that list. I enjoyed it tremendously.
>
>SoU can be a bit of a mixed bag; some lengths in places but real highlights
>in others (Deekin <g>). Definitely worth playing as a Paladin at least
>once. Starting SoU with a non-combat character at level 1 may be a bit
>tough.

Even that is easily sidestepped.
If playing a squishy robe wearing class, just run them through the
prelude of the original campaign, export the character, then start a new
SoU game using that pre made character.
Starting as a level 3 squishy improves your survivability drastically,
but doesn't unbalance the game.

Yes, things in the very beginning will be somewhat easier, but only
marginally easier than they would be for a level 1 fighter type.
You just don't have to do the "save, fight kobold, die, reload" routine
all the time.

Xocyll