Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Are Apus good at gaming?

Last response: in Windows 8
Share
May 1, 2012 7:14:01 PM

Hi
I recently have got an asus f1a55m le mobo and a6 3500 apu is that pc good at gaming?& what is the best upgrade I can do for better performance?

More about : apus good gaming

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b 4 Gaming
a b * Windows 8
May 3, 2012 8:58:47 PM

Hello Ezio_Auditore;

It's a low performance, low price gaming system.
Not especially good option for most modern games.
Did you get a graphics card to with the onboard IGP?
m
0
l
May 5, 2012 9:52:52 PM

WR2 said:
Hello Ezio_Auditore;

It's a low performance, low price gaming system.
Not especially good option for most modern games.
Did you get a graphics card to with the onboard IGP?



no not yet.but i am gonna get a 6670 and confirm dual ghraphics.
i also wanted to say that i can run need for speed the run at 1280*1024 res and at mid-high settings!!!
so what is ur opinoin?? hope...help
m
0
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b 4 Gaming
a b * Windows 8
May 5, 2012 10:02:21 PM

NFS @ 1280*1024 & mid-high settings sounds possible.
You might get best overall performance with just the HD 6670 alone.
Test to see which is better - single card or hybrid crossfire.
m
0
l
May 5, 2012 10:18:43 PM

As far as value, APUs are excellent for gaming.

However, not many enthusiasts would be satisfied with an APU solution, unless there is a very strict budget to meet.
m
0
l
May 8, 2012 12:31:28 PM

Well..what if I got the a8 3870k would it make any progress?
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b 4 Gaming
a b * Windows 8
May 8, 2012 12:37:17 PM

Going from 2.1Ghz (A6 3500) to 3.0Ghz (A8 3870K) would help.
But getting a dedicated graphics card might help more.

How well does it run NFS @ 1280x1024 right now?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
May 8, 2012 12:56:42 PM

the highest you could go is amd a8 3870k unlocked apu and radeon 6670 (in terms of discreet, crossfirable gfx card). unlocked means that you can overclock your cpu and gpu without much effort. you'd need a good cpu cooler to keep the overclocked apu run cool. i noticed that your motherboard has no cooling for vrm.. i think that could be an issue during overclocking.
at 1280x1024, the apu, combined with a 6670 will provide good performance in the games where 'amd dual graphics' i.e. apu's gpu combined crossfired with discreet gpu(6670) is supported. in other cases the main gpu (whichever is selected as the primary gpu) will work. afaik amd dual gfx is not supported in directx 9.0 so in dx 9 games only the primary gpu will work. make sure you keep your drivers updated.
you can also add a more powerful discreet card (as the primary discreet gfx card) later if you want. any pcie 2.0 or 3.0 gfx card will work. but as far as cpu/apu upgrade goes, 3870k is the limit for now.
Share
May 8, 2012 1:28:33 PM

de5_Roy said:
the highest you could go is amd a8 3870k unlocked apu and radeon 6670 (in terms of discreet, crossfirable gfx card). unlocked means that you can overclock your cpu and gpu without much effort. you'd need a good cpu cooler to keep the overclocked apu run cool. i noticed that your motherboard has no cooling for vrm.. i think that could be an issue during overclocking.
at 1280x1024, the apu, combined with a 6670 will provide good performance in the games where 'amd dual graphics' i.e. apu's gpu combined crossfired with discreet gpu(6670) is supported. in other cases the main gpu (whichever is selected as the primary gpu) will work. afaik amd dual gfx is not supported in directx 9.0 so in dx 9 games only the primary gpu will work. make sure you keep your drivers updated.
you can also add a more powerful discreet card (as the primary discreet gfx card) later if you want. any pcie 2.0 or 3.0 gfx card will work. but as far as cpu/apu upgrade goes, 3870k is the limit for now.


What do u mean with(cooling for vrm???)
And can my mobo afford overclocking well?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 8, 2012 1:51:20 PM

Ezio_Auditore said:
What do u mean with(cooling for vrm???)
And can my mobo afford overclocking well?

i hope this will help you understand it:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Everything-You-N...
i meant that since there is no heatsink over the mosfets, the mosfets would easily become hot. shouldn't be a problem if you use at stock settings.
m
0
l
May 8, 2012 2:07:43 PM

Well..i noticed that when I run NFS the Run the apu(which is overclocked to 2.4 ghz) reach 55c appromaxly should I worry about that??
m
0
l
May 8, 2012 3:37:20 PM

I have an idea but idont know whether it works or not.
Can I combine two gfx 6670 and crossfire with the apu?? In another way can iget dual graphics and crossfire at the same time like a 3_way crossfirex.Hope...help
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 8, 2012 3:46:48 PM

i don't know if it'll work out or if anyone has tried irl. imo two 6670 in cfx would be better than trifiring with the apu. then there are driver, cooling, maintenance etc. but above all, your motherboard doesn't seem to have a second pcie 2.0 x4 or x16 slot to accomodate a second 6670.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_Socket_FM1/F1A55M/...
afaik, amd supports amd dual graphics with one discreet gfx card. most a55 and a75 motherboards don't even support x8+x8 modes.
m
0
l
May 8, 2012 3:59:58 PM

de5_Roy said:
i don't know if it'll work out or if anyone has tried irl. imo two 6670 in cfx would be better than trifiring with the apu. then there are driver, cooling, maintenance etc. but above all, your motherboard doesn't seem to have a second pcie 2.0 x4 or x16 slot to accomodate a second 6670.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_Socket_FM1/F1A55M/...
afaik, amd supports amd dual graphics with one discreet gfx card. most a55 and a75 motherboards don't even support x8+x8 modes.


No, I am sure it has a second pcix 2 slot.otherwise it wouldnt have the crossfirex but only dual gfx..
Any way thanks for your help...all
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 8, 2012 4:15:50 PM

Ezio_Auditore said:
No, I am sure it has a second pcix 2 slot.otherwise it wouldnt have the crossfirex but only dual gfx..
Any way thanks for your help...all

ah, the second pcie 2.0 slot runs at x4.
m
0
l
May 8, 2012 4:22:46 PM

de5_Roy said:
ah, the second pcie 2.0 slot runs at x4.


And how much does the x4 mode differs from the x8 ?
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b 4 Gaming
a b * Windows 8
May 8, 2012 4:28:54 PM

Ezio_Auditore said:
Hey...u mean if got ddr3 1866 mhz I would be able to run cross and dual at the same time?? ARE U SURE?!!



I don't know what you're talking about. The APU's run better with faster ram, ( in this case the 1866 ) ........ adding a video card ( see the vid ) will make the games run better.......

just trying to answer your 1st and 2nd questions. Do what you may.
m
0
l
May 8, 2012 4:41:21 PM

swifty_morgan said:
I don't know what you're talking about. The APU's run better with faster ram, ( in this case the 1866 ) ........ adding a video card ( see the vid ) will make the games run better.......

just trying to answer your 1st and 2nd questions. Do what you may.


Oh..right
Thank u
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 8, 2012 4:56:09 PM

Ezio_Auditore said:
Hey...u mean if got ddr3 1866 mhz I would be able to run cross and dual at the same time?? ARE U SURE?!!

apu's gpu will perform better with faster system memory as it uses system ram as video memory. 1866 ram will help the gpu perform better. it has nothing to do with crossfire or amd dual graphics, though.
Ezio_Auditore said:
And how much does the x4 mode differs from the x8 ?

half the bandwidth of x8 mode. x8 mode has half the bandwidth of x16 mode (primary gfx card slot).



m
0
l
May 8, 2012 5:17:55 PM

de5_Roy said:
apu's gpu will perform better with faster system memory as it uses system ram as video memory. 1866 ram will help the gpu perform better. it has nothing to do with crossfire or amd dual graphics, though.

half the bandwidth of x8 mode. x8 mode has half the bandwidth of x16 mode (primary gfx card slot).


And that affects the performance??
m
0
l
May 8, 2012 6:43:42 PM

You are right...i should have used ddr3 1866 ram
Thank you all for your help
And...congratulations for promotion ( still_learning)
m
0
l
May 19, 2012 8:52:04 PM

Best answer selected by Ezio_Auditore.
m
0
l
!