tstc101

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2002
I have a question fr the group. I'm going to build a new PC with AMD 2000+ chip, Gigabyte KT400 mthrbrd, 512 ram. I have a screwless case with an older Antec 250W PS. My question is should I Upgrade to a 350 PS? Can a 250W PS handle a XP chip and KT400 mthrbrd woth constant power?

:eek: Uh.. What's this button do?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
None of MY Antec 250W power supplies could. Have you noticed the new power supplies are overrated? I think Antec started it back in the day with that one. Antec has improved a little since of course.

Here's what I found after testing several units; on a PIII 933 with 2 hard drives, 3.3v voltage levels would drop to unacceptable levels during games, etc. I ended up using an OEM 250W power supply instead which was far superior.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

svol

Champion
I would go for atleast a 300W PSU, especially if you have a power sucking videocard like the GeForce4 Ti or Radeon 9700 (pro) a 350W is even a better choice.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

Hebrews126

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2003
The 250W is likely a peak maximum rating. It would probably be a good idea to try a better power supply with a higher maximum sustainable power rating.