Dungeon Lords Demo - any thoughts?

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Anyone try out the Dungeon Lords demo yet? I downloaded it last night, but
haven't had time to try it. You can find links for the demo at:

http://www.dungeonlords.com/

"brad" <brad@brad.com> wrote in message news:kibae.68989$lz2.38628@fed1read07...
> Anyone try out the Dungeon Lords demo yet? I downloaded it last night, but haven't had time to
> try it. You can find links for the demo at:
>
> http://www.dungeonlords.com/

I played it for about 3 minutes. I thought it looked good, but there was some graphical lag for me.
After dying immediately due to getting jumped, the mouse / screen lag was enough to make me not care
to give it a go again.

James_ wrote:
> "brad" <brad@brad.com> wrote in message news:kibae.68989$lz2.38628@fed1read07...
>
>>Anyone try out the Dungeon Lords demo yet? I downloaded it last night, but haven't had time to
>>try it. You can find links for the demo at:
>>
>>http://www.dungeonlords.com/
>

> I played it for about 3 minutes. I thought it looked good, but there was some graphical lag for me.
> After dying immediately due to getting jumped, the mouse / screen lag was enough to make me not care
> to give it a go again.

I agree. It seems to be a little laggy and jumpy.

brad wrote:
> Anyone try out the Dungeon Lords demo yet? I downloaded it last
> night, but haven't had time to try it. You can find links for the
> demo at:
>
> http://www.dungeonlords.com/

I read the messages at the official forum. Sounds like the game has a lot of
problems, which is a shame. Hopefully they can get them ironed out before
the release because it sounds like it has a lot of potential.

I finished the Demo, and am mildly positive about getting the full game.

The hardest bit of the demo is surviving the first couple of minutes. You
need to fight/flee your way from the first encounter by the fire, along the
path to the gate, and the encounter to the side of the gate leading you to
the sewer entrance. You can use the game's poor AI to your advantage in
this first minute or so (monsters seem to have trouble turning corners, or
will queue up behind a single obstacle rather than go around it).

Once you start finding a few chests and simple battles, your arms, armour
and potions will allow you to complete the demo without much trouble. Other
than the interface itself, which is frankly pretty bad. Turning left and
right requires the mouse, other movement requires keys, so sometimes the
mouse is for looking, sometimes for moving, and it all gets very clumsy.
However when you get to levers and suchlike, you can't just click on them
with the mouse, now you need the keyboard again to activate them. Moving in
some areas, eg along narrow platforms and around beams, was very annoying
and liable to falling off as you tried to guess how your character would
move in response to the controls. I'm just hoping this whole mess gets
massively fixed before final release, and that the final game allows major
reallocation of keys for everything.

Lockpicking is a strange little minigame, and I didn't really mind it too
much. Except that it got repetitive, and once your skill was high enough it
became a pointless waste of time to go through the motions.

There seemed to be some key combinations for combat moves and defence, but
without knowing what they were (no manual) just clicking and moving seemed
to work. Fighting flying things was annoying, and constant respawning in
some areas got very annoying very quickly, although at least you never ran
out of potions to collect.

If the game has some decent plot and npc interaction, and the interface is
improved, it may become a worthwhile purchase. As a dungeon crawl it is
probably too clumsy to bother about.

Greg

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:23:13 -0700, "brad" <brad@brad.com> wrote:

>Anyone try out the Dungeon Lords demo yet? I downloaded it last night, but
>haven't had time to try it. You can find links for the demo at:
>
>http://www.dungeonlords.com/

Yes, played it to death and been from one end of the world to the other by
letting monsters hit me over the mountains. Looks like it will be a great
game.

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 13:02:03 -0600, "James_" <_no_@spam.com> wrote:

>"brad" <brad@brad.com> wrote in message news:kibae.68989$lz2.38628@fed1read07...
>> Anyone try out the Dungeon Lords demo yet? I downloaded it last night, but haven't had time to
>> try it. You can find links for the demo at:
>>
>> http://www.dungeonlords.com/
>
>I played it for about 3 minutes. I thought it looked good, but there was some graphical lag for me.
>After dying immediately due to getting jumped, the mouse / screen lag was enough to make me not care
>to give it a go again.

Give it another go. The combat may be hard at the start but when you get a few
levels and put some skills into combat initially it becomes easier. Free tip:
right at the start there are some ruins behind you and to the left. If you
stand there the only monsters that can get to you are bats and the occasional
wolf, but you are nigh on safe and can take enemies out at leasure. Get bored
with that and you can get monsters to hit you over the hills into what appears
to be the whole game map but with links to other dungeons etc. removed. Its
going to be huge this one.

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:52:49 -0600, James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net>
wrote:

>James_ wrote:
>> "brad" <brad@brad.com> wrote in message news:kibae.68989$lz2.38628@fed1read07...
>>
>>>Anyone try out the Dungeon Lords demo yet? I downloaded it last night, but haven't had time to
>>>try it. You can find links for the demo at:
>>>
>>>http://www.dungeonlords.com/
>>

>> I played it for about 3 minutes. I thought it looked good, but there was some graphical lag for me.
>> After dying immediately due to getting jumped, the mouse / screen lag was enough to make me not care
>> to give it a go again.
>
>I agree. It seems to be a little laggy and jumpy.

Not here at all. I am using an X800 XT though so your performance may differ
of course.

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 01:43:11 GMT, "Dirty Redpool"
<dirtredpooll@something.something> wrote:

>brad wrote:
>> Anyone try out the Dungeon Lords demo yet? I downloaded it last
>> night, but haven't had time to try it. You can find links for the
>> demo at:
>>
>> http://www.dungeonlords.com/
>
>I read the messages at the official forum. Sounds like the game has a lot of
>problems, which is a shame. Hopefully they can get them ironed out before
>the release because it sounds like it has a lot of potential.

I'm not aware of any problems apart from all the missing files you have to
create when exploring over the mountains to the other areas. It's worth it
though as you can kill a Fire Drake and get over 300,000xp.

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 05:52:18 GMT, "Greg Mac" <nospam@nsw.bigpond.net.au>
wrote:

>I finished the Demo, and am mildly positive about getting the full game.
>
>The hardest bit of the demo is surviving the first couple of minutes. You
>need to fight/flee your way from the first encounter by the fire, along the
>path to the gate, and the encounter to the side of the gate leading you to
>the sewer entrance. You can use the game's poor AI to your advantage in
>this first minute or so (monsters seem to have trouble turning corners, or
>will queue up behind a single obstacle rather than go around it).
>
>Once you start finding a few chests and simple battles, your arms, armour
>and potions will allow you to complete the demo without much trouble. Other
>than the interface itself, which is frankly pretty bad. Turning left and
>right requires the mouse, other movement requires keys, so sometimes the
>mouse is for looking, sometimes for moving, and it all gets very clumsy.
>However when you get to levers and suchlike, you can't just click on them
>with the mouse, now you need the keyboard again to activate them. Moving in
>some areas, eg along narrow platforms and around beams, was very annoying
>and liable to falling off as you tried to guess how your character would
>move in response to the controls. I'm just hoping this whole mess gets
>massively fixed before final release, and that the final game allows major
>reallocation of keys for everything.
>
>Lockpicking is a strange little minigame, and I didn't really mind it too
>much. Except that it got repetitive, and once your skill was high enough it
>became a pointless waste of time to go through the motions.
>
>There seemed to be some key combinations for combat moves and defence, but
>without knowing what they were (no manual) just clicking and moving seemed
>to work. Fighting flying things was annoying, and constant respawning in
>some areas got very annoying very quickly, although at least you never ran
>out of potions to collect.
>
>If the game has some decent plot and npc interaction, and the interface is
>improved, it may become a worthwhile purchase. As a dungeon crawl it is
>probably too clumsy to bother about.
>
>Greg

Fortunately it is not going to be all underground. And you can do trading with
some shopkeepers in some of the other town in the woods, although in the demo
they don't sell much of course. It's a shame that most peoples opinions of
this game are going to be the first minute where you get jumped by a group and
most seem to die or that miniscule starter dungeon. There is a much bigger
world out there, even in the demo if you don't mind doing some work, and lost
of places to explore.

Mike

Splendid

On a dark an dismal Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:23:13 -0700, in flickering
lamplight "brad" <brad@brad.com> scribed with phoenix quill:

>Anyone try out the Dungeon Lords demo yet? I downloaded it last night, but
>haven't had time to try it. You can find links for the demo at:
>
>http://www.dungeonlords.com/

After a vicious battle with the stickykey function that has left me
requiring therapy, and a curse to the one who decided that i can't
have my preferred key-mouse configuration. (I like to sidestep with
the mouse and turn about with the arrow keys.)
I'd say too much combat, and rsi, although it does look good and i
limped through.
I think i would like to see more automatic functions, perhaps a
behavior script. And turn based combat is much more to my taste, I'd
like to choose.
I like being able to add skills when i have the exp to spend, rather
than waiting to hit a level, that's a nice touch.
They have spent a lot of time on the artwork, and it's very good for
it.
I would have expected a tutorial the first time you attempt things
like alchemy, and disarming traps. It took ages (yes I'm dense,) to
work out why, with odds of 99% i always seemed to hit the last 1%.
I would like to be able to design spells for my character too.
Something like Mirror Missile (reflect ranged attacks back), Channel
Power (collects Manna from vanquished foes) and some sort of emergency
teleport triggered when down to the last few Health points.
Flying Imps to collect and carry loot would be nice :)

Terrible! Unpolished, confusing, terrible interface, extremely unbalanced
enemy strength compared to you. This is a demo, you're not supposed to die
every minute, running like hell in who knows what direction. If the full
version reflects the half-assed nature of the demo, it's not worth playing.
I uninstalled it due to a high frustration factor.

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 11:32:06 +0100, mike <mike@invariant.freeserve.co.uk>
wrote:

>I would have expected a tutorial the first time you attempt things
>like alchemy, and disarming traps. It took ages (yes I'm dense,) to
>work out why, with odds of 99% i always seemed to hit the last 1%.
>I would like to be able to design spells for my character too.
>Something like Mirror Missile (reflect ranged attacks back), Channel
>Power (collects Manna from vanquished foes) and some sort of emergency
>teleport triggered when down to the last few Health points.
>Flying Imps to collect and carry loot would be nice :)

With some playing around you can invent some spells your self when using
katals for Nether magic, some spells that aren't even in the demo. Try
experimenting!

"Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca> once tried to test me with:

> Terrible! Unpolished, confusing, terrible interface, extremely
> unbalanced enemy strength compared to you. This is a demo, you're not
> supposed to die every minute, running like hell in who knows what
> direction. If the full version reflects the half-assed nature of the
> demo, it's not worth playing. I uninstalled it due to a high
> frustration factor.

It gets a lot easier after you're like level 3 or 4. The beginning is very
tough, they should have toned down the encounter strength at the start, I
sure hope they do this for the final version.

I should be reviewing the full game of this, pretty soonish. I'll let you
guys know when I do, if you want to wait.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 13:02:03 -0600, "James_" <_no_@spam.com> wrote:
>
>>"brad" <brad@brad.com> wrote in message news:kibae.68989$lz2.38628@fed1read07...
>>> Anyone try out the Dungeon Lords demo yet? I downloaded it last night, but haven't had time to
>>> try it. You can find links for the demo at:
>>>
>>> http://www.dungeonlords.com/
>>
>>I played it for about 3 minutes. I thought it looked good, but there was some graphical lag for
>>me.
>>After dying immediately due to getting jumped, the mouse / screen lag was enough to make me not
>>care
>>to give it a go again.
>
> Give it another go. The combat may be hard at the start but when you get a few
> levels and put some skills into combat initially it becomes easier. Free tip:
> right at the start there are some ruins behind you and to the left. If you
> stand there the only monsters that can get to you are bats and the occasional
> wolf, but you are nigh on safe and can take enemies out at leasure. Get bored
> with that and you can get monsters to hit you over the hills into what appears
> to be the whole game map but with links to other dungeons etc. removed. Its
> going to be huge this one.

I didn't replay it again because it was too jumpy and sluggish, not due to difficulty.

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 14:12:52 -0400, "Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca> wrote:

>Terrible! Unpolished, confusing, terrible interface, extremely unbalanced
>enemy strength compared to you. This is a demo, you're not supposed to die
>every minute, running like hell in who knows what direction. If the full
>version reflects the half-assed nature of the demo, it's not worth playing.
>I uninstalled it due to a high frustration factor.

You haven't even played it beyond the first few encounters I expect. If you
are dying every minute then that proves it as after you get some skill you can
fight them off quite easily. Learn some tactics first.

On 24 Apr 2005 01:12:58 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:

>"Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca> once tried to test me with:
>
>> Terrible! Unpolished, confusing, terrible interface, extremely
>> unbalanced enemy strength compared to you. This is a demo, you're not
>> supposed to die every minute, running like hell in who knows what
>> direction. If the full version reflects the half-assed nature of the
>> demo, it's not worth playing. I uninstalled it due to a high
>> frustration factor.
>
>It gets a lot easier after you're like level 3 or 4. The beginning is very
>tough, they should have toned down the encounter strength at the start, I
>sure hope they do this for the final version.

Exactly. Those who give up because they get jumped in the first flight only
prove the instant gratification culture we live in now where no one wants to
work for anything but get everything handed to them on a plate. If you tore
through them at the start the same damn people would be moaning that it was
too easy. For shame!

>I should be reviewing the full game of this, pretty soonish. I'll let you
>guys know when I do, if you want to wait.

I'll be getting it regardless but go ahead! :)

"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> I'll be getting it regardless but go ahead! :)

Are you the official spokesperson for this game? You've replied to
absolutely *every* thread in this post with unwavering enthusiasm no matter
what the criticism.

Memnoch wrote:
> On 24 Apr 2005 01:12:58 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:
>

>>"Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca> once tried to test me with:
>>

>>>Terrible! Unpolished, confusing, terrible interface, extremely
>>>unbalanced enemy strength compared to you. This is a demo, you're not
>>>supposed to die every minute, running like hell in who knows what
>>>direction. If the full version reflects the half-assed nature of the
>>>demo, it's not worth playing. I uninstalled it due to a high
>>>frustration factor.
>>
>>It gets a lot easier after you're like level 3 or 4. The beginning is very
>>tough, they should have toned down the encounter strength at the start, I
>>sure hope they do this for the final version.
>

> Exactly. Those who give up because they get jumped in the first flight only
> prove the instant gratification culture we live in now where no one wants to
> work for anything but get everything handed to them on a plate. If you tore
> through them at the start the same damn people would be moaning that it was
> too easy. For shame!

If they get the bugs worked out it would be fine, but it is so jumpy and
laggy that it is hard to get past level one....

I'd like to play this game...Hell I'd like to get past level one and
work for it, but I can't even do that because the demo is so damn buggy.

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 12:10:56 -0400, "Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca> wrote:

>"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I'll be getting it regardless but go ahead! :)
>
>Are you the official spokesperson for this game? You've replied to
>absolutely *every* thread in this post with unwavering enthusiasm no matter
>what the criticism.

I'm a bit worried you have been stalking me Grackle. But anyway, I enjoyed the
game. What can I say? I had no performance issues with it on my system so can
only assume that if it isn't running well for someone that it is something to
do with their setup. If you don't like the game then please feel free to
ignore any future threads on the game.

"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> I'm a bit worried you have been stalking me Grackle.

Don't flatter yourself; I don't stalk anyone.
At the moment, I count 10 replies by you in this thread, out of a total of
22.
That means you have a 45% reply rate. You must really love this game.

"Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca> once tried to test me with:

> "Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in
> message
>>
>> I'm a bit worried you have been stalking me Grackle.
>
> Don't flatter yourself; I don't stalk anyone.
> At the moment, I count 10 replies by you in this thread, out of a
> total of 22.
> That means you have a 45% reply rate. You must really love this game.

Does loving a game make him a corporate shill?

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> writes:

> Exactly. Those who give up because they get jumped in the first flight only
> prove the instant gratification culture we live in now where no one wants to
> work for anything but get everything handed to them on a plate.

Please learn the difference between the term "work" and "leisure".
People play games to escape work, not to get more of it. Games are a
leisure activity unless you are a pro poker player.

On 25 Apr 2005 00:26:42 +0200, Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
<tor.iver.wilhelmsen@broadpark.no> wrote:

>Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> writes:
>
>> Exactly. Those who give up because they get jumped in the first flight only
>> prove the instant gratification culture we live in now where no one wants to
>> work for anything but get everything handed to them on a plate.
>
>Please learn the difference between the term "work" and "leisure".
>People play games to escape work, not to get more of it. Games are a
>leisure activity unless you are a pro poker player.

I suppose that's true. But it really comes down to tactics doesn't it. Use
poor ones and you die. The problem with DL is right at the start you are
terribly week and its just a matter of chance whether you survive the first
encounter as they are random. The first time I played I got jumped by four
goblins who tore me up. Other times it was wolves who shredded me but another
it was skeletons who I managed to beat.

Thusly Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> Spake Unto All:

>> At the moment, I count 10 replies by you in this thread, out of a
>> total of 22.
>> That means you have a 45% reply rate. You must really love this game.
>
>Does loving a game make him a corporate shill?

Loving *this* game does.

--
A True Hero: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/03/magazine/03ALI.html

TRENDING THREADS