Personal home computer without share

southman

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I have windows 7 and when I purchased it I had no clue about computer share and logging into your own computer.

I didn't realize if I had a computer you would have to have permission to access your files.

Now that I am stuck with windows 7 and I don't have permission to access files such as Documents and Settings (the little gold lock) I want a computer that is MINE alone and I don't have to ask permission to do anything.

I have been through all the steps as Administrator, system recovery, reinstalling windows and I am always locked out of system? files.

The first 2 steps setting up the system is country/language, which is understandable then Name and Password.

What do I need to skip Name and Password, not being or sharing with any users or owner or administrator. Just turn on my computer, it opens to the desktop and go to work.

Is there any way to have this luxury? I think it is called a standalone PC? It doesn't look like any of the windows 7 can be like this so what can I do without buying a new computer or is that not an option??

Southman

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
In general what you're describing is bad for security of the computer, and not just physical security where somebody could walk up and access the computer. Running as an administrator at all times makes it easier for your computer to be remotely exploited by viruses and hackers, because of the elevated privileges.

benji720

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Some of the folders with the gold locks (The My Documents folder in your user folder, for example) are just pointers for old legacy programs. The folder you want is called Documents and is in your user folder. You will never be able to open the My Documents folder (or others like it) because they simply don't exist in Windows 7.

As far as being able to turn off the security warnings, you can just disable User Account Control (UAC) from the Users icon in the Control Panel. This is bad security practice but if that's what you want to do, go for it! There are situations for clients where I've needed to turn it off as well. If you do, make sure you have a good antivirus like Symantec Endpoint installed to help keep your machine clean.

Auto login is dangerous. don't use it. I am not sure how you royally screwed your windows 7 install but its USER ERROR. not windows 7. Its really easy to instally windows 7 and set an admin account. The computer is YOUR's alone by default. Doing anything else is moron error

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Auto-login is only dangerous if you leave your computer out in the open available for anyone to walk up to... or if it's a laptop... I personally don't have people walking in and out of my house touching my stuff... ever...