Doc_Holliday

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2002
http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/20021209/index.html

This article makes it sound as if RD ram competes well DDR ram in some circumstances. I have RD pc800 ram and I was wondering if DDR would create a huge benefit performance wise. Is the cost of switching worth it? I've got 256mb pc800 so should I stick with that get another two sticks of 128 or go with DDR?

Also, what is Dual RD ram and how does it differ from regular Ram? Can regular and Dual be used together?

What is the difference between EEC and non EEC RD ram?

Are K-byte, TigerDirect.com, and Corsair Ram chips considered to be of high quality?
Thanks.

nausicaa

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2003
are you in the market for a new mobo?

regular DDR may be used in a dual channel mobo though you would want PC2700 (333MHz) or greater for good performance (especially for use with the new 333MHz FSM Athlons), 232pin RDRAM is 32-bit and is essentially 2x16-bit modules built on one chip so you only need one, 184pin RDRAM is 16-bit and a pair is necessary to run dual channel...in any case you want PC1066 RDRAM for good performance in a dual channel RDRAM sollution...the type (32vs.16-bit) depends on the mobo you plan to use.
ECC is error correcting logic, which for use in a home pc is unnecessary.
IMHO, whichever platform you choose, it would be best to have 512MB ram
hope this helped...
- nausicaa

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22270" target="_new">My System</A>

Doc_Holliday

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2002
I was thinking of going with a Asus P4T533-C (Intel 850E) for a new Mobo. This would allow me to still use the RD ram (PC800) that I have but I would upgrade to 512mb total.

What do you think?

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
RDRAM will be faster that most of DDR setting RDRAM is high-end produce unlike DDR

Just next to the lab and the bunker you will find the marketing departement.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your PC800 will compete with PC3200 toe-to-toe for performance, I wouldn't replace it unless you're moving to a "533" bus CPU and your current memory is PC800-45 instead of PC800-40.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, I should let you know that the highest performance solution is still RDRAM, just a faster version than what you have (PC1066 and RIMM4200, depending on the form factor).

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>