[WoW] Thoughts from an about-to-turn-40 player

Last response: in Video Games
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 26, 2005 9:03:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Okay, maybe 38.95 isn't quite the same thing as "almost 40." But close
enough. Given that World of Warcraft divides itself rather neatly into
pre-mount and post-mount, it's time for a look back. Consider this an
indirect followup to
<URL:http://groups.google.ca/groups?selm=slrnd3g9gd.hq0.ylee...;.
No specific purpose; just some random meanderings while Auctioneer
busily scans the Ironforge auction house.

I remain optimistic that my "See Azeroth slowly/Get maximum value out
of my subscription" playing strategy, as discussed in
<URL:http://groups.google.ca/groups?selm=slrnd4dcl6.c06.ylee...;
and
<URL:http://groups.google.ca/groups?selm=slrnd5m1ua.67d.ylee...;,
will succeed. However, I am slightly about the Blasted Lands, which I
expected to help get through levels 45 to 55; it looks so desolate and
empty that I wonder if any quests will be available there. As before,
I hope that zone, plus miscellaneous higher-level quests from
Stormwind, Stranglethorn Vale, and other zones in southern Eastern
Kingdoms, will prove sufficient.

Two periods of sheer terror, both at 38: 1) While traveling from
Auberdine to Nijel's Point for the first time, I realized that I'd
missed the turnoff and was in the middle of the Barrens, near the
Wailing Caverns, with several PvP guardposts. 2) Entering the Swamp of
Sorrows in search of pristine crab legs, I managed to avoid the roving
Horde PvP patrols and murlocs only to run right into the middle of
various Elite enemies--42, 44, then finally ?? dragonkin--surrounding
the Temple of Atal hakkar. Remarkably, I survived both trips, and even
began the Lost Supplies quest that took me into the Blasted Lands
early (and thank goodness Nethergarde Keep is so close to the northern
edge).

For $8 I had a local FedEx Kinko's print and laminate nice color
copies of the two huge continent maps at
<URL:http://www.worldofwar.net/cartography/&gt;. I chose 11"x17" but
legal-sized would have worked well too. You'll probably want to use a
thicker paper stock than the default I got so as to be able to
laminate the two pages back to back without being able to see through
the paper. Also ask for the maps to be centered horizontally.

I recently spent some time in Stormwind building up Engineering by
building Ornate Spyglasses for people if they supplied some of the
ingredients and cash. As a sales pitch, I had each customer play
along, like so:

Me: [Ornate Spyglass] available if you supply [Moss Agate] and four
linens. Let's ask (customer) what he thinks of his new
glass. (Customer)?
(Customer): wow it rox i can see down peoples shirts and up skirts!
Me: (Customer), isn't it true that a Ornate Spyglass draws the
most beautiful female night elves and humans to you?
(Customer): Ive already had 6 inappripriate requests!
Me: There you have it, folks. Another satisfied DobieCo
customer. Remember, if it doesn't say <Dobie>, you got ripped off!

Besides drawing a couple more customers this way, I provided good
laughs to everyone in the capital, based on followup comments.

I've yet to see a single logon queue on my US PvE server, Llane, which
as I've noted was a low-population server when I began but is nowadays
a medium-population server. About the worst I've seen technologywise
is how both the 1.3 and 1.4 patches temporarily broke compatability
with Transgaming's Cedega Windows emulator for Linux, naturally both
occurring at times when my iBook (on which I normally play) was in the
shop.

With 1.4, I also haven't seen any of the
zones-filled-with-bodies-end-to-end ganking people here have
complained about. Now, bear in mind that I haven't spent a *lot* of
time in the Southshore area, but post-patch I've been through there
more than once. More to the point, I *have* spent a lot of time in
Stranglethorn Vale. I did see good-sized crowds battle each other in
Gurubashi Arena for the pirate's chest every three hours.

After total neglect, I've been working on my secondary trades
recently. Fishing is easy and surprisingly fun and First Aid is, if
not stupendously useful for a Paladin (I'm hoping higher-level
bandages will provide buffs as well as health advantages), at least
easy to work up. Cooking is annoying with a capital A.

I always synchronize my buffs to myself as well as party members so
that, when my buffs run low, I know it's time to rebuff
everyone. Probably common sense, but most players in my experience
aren't very good about rebuffing when or before it's time.

Seal of Command and a slow, high-damage weapon are very good things
for Paladins.

I'd thought Paladins were better healers than Druids (just as Paladins
are better resurrectors) but someone told me otherwise recently. Did
y'all know this? I also learned that Mages can wield daggers, at least
after a certain point.

I'm still impressed by the sheer beauty of the landscape. The Swamp of
Sorrows looks and sounds like a swamp, just as Stranglethorn Vale
looks and feels like a jungle and Desolace looks, well, just awful.

At level 18 I had 1g70s. At 20-25 or so I had about 10g. Now I have
37g, which isn't bad considering I've never really grinded for money
or loot. I remain shocked at what some people spend money on; I
recently met a 20 Warrior who only had 20s because he's one of those
types that regularly upgrades his equiment at the auction house while
I've only bought some medium leather and something similar.

Scarlet Monastery is, indeed, is a lot of fun to do, and incidentally
provided a chunk of the above money. A major, major pain to get
to. Only one person in my group had been there before and the rest of
us became rather worried when he actually led us *inside* the
Undercity, if only for a moment.

I'd thought nothing could be more annoying than the Raven
Hill-Darkshire run, until I discovered the Booty Bay-Rebel
Camp/Nesingwray's Expedition run.

--
<URL:http://www.pobox.com/~ylee/&gt; PERTH ----> *
Cpu(s): 7.7% us, 1.8% sy, 0.4% ni, 88.2% id, 1.8% wa, 0.1% hi, 0.0% si

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg.]
On 2005-04-26, Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> wrote:

> I'd thought Paladins were better healers than Druids (just as Paladins
> are better resurrectors) but someone told me otherwise recently. Did
> y'all know this? I also learned that Mages can wield daggers, at least
> after a certain point.

At launch Druids were broken. You could take on a war form but
since you were forced to wear nothing better than leather you
could not tank very well in the war form. The only fix anyone
could think of was to make the various forms give you additional
bonuses to things like AC.

I don't want to hijack your thread but I would like to know has
there been any noticeable improvement in server stability and
queues? I'd go back if they fixed things.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 26, 2005 9:03:55 PM

Bleeding Hollow which was one of the big three hasn't had any queues or
stability problems in a couple of weeks.
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 27, 2005 1:03:29 AM

"shadows" <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in message
> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg.]
> On 2005-04-26, Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> wrote:
>
> I don't want to hijack your thread but I would like to know has
> there been any noticeable improvement in server stability and
> queues? I'd go back if they fixed things.

I for one am playing Neverwinter Nights for the first time and have been
enjoying it immensely these past days, and I don't know why the hell I'd
want to go back to an MMORPG. Damn, I hate those things :)
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 27, 2005 2:11:06 PM

shadows wrote:
> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg.]
> On 2005-04-26, Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> I'd thought Paladins were better healers than Druids (just as Paladins
>> are better resurrectors) but someone told me otherwise recently. Did
>> y'all know this? I also learned that Mages can wield daggers, at least
>> after a certain point.
>
> At launch Druids were broken. You could take on a war form but
> since you were forced to wear nothing better than leather you
> could not tank very well in the war form. The only fix anyone
> could think of was to make the various forms give you additional
> bonuses to things like AC.
>
> I don't want to hijack your thread but I would like to know has
> there been any noticeable improvement in server stability and
> queues? I'd go back if they fixed things.

On my server, there's apparently some queueing at peak time... from what
my guildies tell me, it gets no worse than about 10-15 minutes. Being
well away from the PST timezone, I don't notice it myself :)

For me, server stability has been fine right up until the last patch.
Since then, I've had one 15-minute advance warning shutdown 'to fix some
instance issues' (i.e. resource leak). It does seem, though, the
Blizzard is being a damn sight better about getting their patches out
faster, and fixing their server-side code issues. I believe they may
have actually learned some lessons :)

--
Remove the mess to reply.
April 27, 2005 2:11:07 PM

On 2005-04-26, Cataleptic <cat.the.mess@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

> For me, server stability has been fine right up until the last patch.
> Since then, I've had one 15-minute advance warning shutdown 'to fix some
> instance issues' (i.e. resource leak). It does seem, though, the
> Blizzard is being a damn sight better about getting their patches out
> faster, and fixing their server-side code issues. I believe they may
> have actually learned some lessons :)

Sounds good. I go on vacation in a couple of weeks and I'd like
to come back and check it out if it weren't for things like
queues which I find unbelievably lame for an MMO.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 27, 2005 2:47:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Yeechang Lee wrote:
<snippity>
> However, I am slightly about the Blasted Lands, which I
> expected to help get through levels 45 to 55; it looks so desolate and
> empty that I wonder if any quests will be available there. As before,
> I hope that zone, plus miscellaneous higher-level quests from
> Stormwind, Stranglethorn Vale, and other zones in southern Eastern
> Kingdoms, will prove sufficient.

The best zone for the 45-50 range is definitely Tanaris. There's a
bucket of quests there in Gadgetzan and some in Steamwheedle Port (as
well as a few Tanaris quests you can get from elsewhere). Once you hit
50, you can try Un'Goro Crater, Felwood and, if you're brave, Western
Plaguelands.

> With 1.4, I also haven't seen any of the
> zones-filled-with-bodies-end-to-end ganking people here have
> complained about. Now, bear in mind that I haven't spent a *lot* of
> time in the Southshore area, but post-patch I've been through there
> more than once. More to the point, I *have* spent a lot of time in
> Stranglethorn Vale. I did see good-sized crowds battle each other in
> Gurubashi Arena for the pirate's chest every three hours.

As predicted, the rampaging gankfest that was the Southshore/Tarren Mill
area has abated somewhat, but IMHO it was still somewhat disingenious of
Blizzard to activate the PvP rewards system *before* releasing the
Battlegrounds patch (which, they tell us, will be next). Also, Llane
isn't a PvP server, is it? I pity anyone who playing on a PvP server in
the high 40s/low 50s range.

> After total neglect, I've been working on my secondary trades
> recently. Fishing is easy and surprisingly fun and First Aid is, if
> not stupendously useful for a Paladin (I'm hoping higher-level
> bandages will provide buffs as well as health advantages), at least
> easy to work up.

Call me Scrooge, but the main thing I use First Aid for is turning 4
silver runecloth into 5 silver runecloth bandages before vendoring :)

> I'd thought Paladins were better healers than Druids (just as Paladins
> are better resurrectors) but someone told me otherwise recently. Did
> y'all know this? I also learned that Mages can wield daggers, at least
> after a certain point.

Pallys are certainly better at keeping *themselves* alive than any other
class, but that's by design. A correctly specced druid, though, is
second only (and not by much) to priests for the role of healer.
Typically, as a hunter, I get grouped with a druid so they don't need to
do as much work :)

AFAIK, if your class can learn a weapon at all, they can learn it at
level 1.

> At level 18 I had 1g70s. At 20-25 or so I had about 10g. Now I have
> 37g, which isn't bad considering I've never really grinded for money
> or loot.

You've got your work cut out for you, then :)  There's still good money
to be made selling leather or metal, herbs less so, especially if your
server has a lot of main-funded alts powerlevelling their tradeskills :)
Another option, one I used for my alt, was simply to find a nice,
out-of-the-way spot with green-conning humanoids and just grind out a
level. I made about 30g all up, after selling all the vendor trash,
AHing the cloth, greens and the fadeleaf I'd been harvesting in the
area. It's not very exciting, but if you want your mount by level 40,
exciting is off the menu anyway :)

Another option is to try and do nothing but SM runs until level 40.
There's good XP and good money to be made there, but on my server at
least, the population curve has become so spread out, even as a priest
it's hard to find a group.

> I'd thought nothing could be more annoying than the Raven
> Hill-Darkshire run, until I discovered the Booty Bay-Rebel
> Camp/Nesingwray's Expedition run.

It's (marginally) quicker and (definitely) safer if you fly to Raven
Hill and trudge to the Rebel Camp from there.

Wait 'til you discover the Emerald Circle-GrifRider run in Felwood :(

You're lucky though. Until the second-last patch, there was the truly
horrid Gadgetzan-Marshall's Refuge run. There is definitely some very
dubious Flight Point/Graveyard placement in some zones...

--
Remove the mess to reply.
Anonymous

"Cataleptic" <cat.the.mess@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message

> AFAIK, if your class can learn a weapon at all, they can learn it at level
> 1.

There are definitely exceptions to this. Pallies can learn polearms, but
they are restricted to learning them only once they hit level 20.

--
<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Apollorah, 32nd level Human Paladin, Ner'zhul

shadows wrote:
> On 2005-04-26, Cataleptic <cat.the.mess@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> For me, server stability has been fine right up until the last patch.
>> Since then, I've had one 15-minute advance warning shutdown 'to fix some
>> instance issues' (i.e. resource leak). It does seem, though, the
>> Blizzard is being a damn sight better about getting their patches out
>> faster, and fixing their server-side code issues. I believe they may
>> have actually learned some lessons :)
>
> Sounds good. I go on vacation in a couple of weeks and I'd like
> to come back and check it out if it weren't for things like
> queues which I find unbelievably lame for an MMO.

It should be very interesting to see what effect Battlegrounds has on
this. Aside from moving 99% of PvP action (i.e. lowbie ganking) into the
designated areas, Battlegrounds are also instances, which are, AFAICT,
hosted on different physical machines from the two continents. If
they're even remotely popular, a good percentage of the population will
be in Battlegrounds instead of one of the server's two continent
servers, which *should* effectively increase the population cap and
therefore decrease the queueing... in theory :)

--
Remove the mess to reply.
Anonymous

RichGK wrote:
> I would though like to buy the odd blue item of the AH and not have
it break
> my bank ;-)

Yeah, good luck on that one.

As time goes on the earning potential for most individuals stays the
same, but the economy as a whole grows and inflation raises prices.
The longer the servers are up, the harder it is going to be to afford
purples and premium blues, so might as well get used to it.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 27, 2005 7:39:15 PM

"Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca> writes:

> I for one am playing Neverwinter Nights for the first time and have been
> enjoying it immensely these past days, and I don't know why the hell I'd
> want to go back to an MMORPG. Damn, I hate those things :)

But you need to play them to retain the hate! I recommend Matrix
Online, with its broken quests, differing combat systems and immense
lag.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 27, 2005 10:13:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:25:05 -0500, "Firian" <G.Booth@*NOSPAM*usm.edu>
scribed into the ether:

>"Cataleptic" <cat.the.mess@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
>>
>> AFAIK, if your class can learn a weapon at all, they can learn it at level
>> 1.
>
>There are definitely exceptions to this. Pallies can learn polearms, but
>they are restricted to learning them only once they hit level 20.

Hunters and Warriors also get polearms. AFAIK, polearms are the only
weaponskill that can't be picked up at level 1.
April 27, 2005 10:36:00 PM

Matt Frisch wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:25:05 -0500, "Firian" <G.Booth@*NOSPAM*usm.edu>
> scribed into the ether:
>

>>"Cataleptic" <cat.the.mess@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
>>
>>>AFAIK, if your class can learn a weapon at all, they can learn it at level
>>>1.
>>
>>There are definitely exceptions to this. Pallies can learn polearms, but
>>they are restricted to learning them only once they hit level 20.
>

> Hunters and Warriors also get polearms. AFAIK, polearms are the only
> weaponskill that can't be picked up at level 1.

Shamans can wield two-handed maces and axes, but not until at least
level 20.
April 27, 2005 10:36:48 PM

Matt Frisch wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:25:05 -0500, "Firian" <G.Booth@*NOSPAM*usm.edu>
> scribed into the ether:
>

>>"Cataleptic" <cat.the.mess@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
>>
>>>AFAIK, if your class can learn a weapon at all, they can learn it at level
>>>1.
>>
>>There are definitely exceptions to this. Pallies can learn polearms, but
>>they are restricted to learning them only once they hit level 20.
>

> Hunters and Warriors also get polearms. AFAIK, polearms are the only
> weaponskill that can't be picked up at level 1.

Shamans can wield two-handed maces and axes, but not until at least
level 20.
April 28, 2005 5:22:55 PM

Grackle wrote:

> "shadows" <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in message
> > ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg.]
> > On 2005-04-26, Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> wrote:
> >
> > I don't want to hijack your thread but I would like to know has
> > there been any noticeable improvement in server stability and
> > queues? I'd go back if they fixed things.
> >

> I for one am playing Neverwinter Nights for the first time and have been
> enjoying it immensely these past days, and I don't know why the hell I'd
> want to go back to an MMORPG. Damn, I hate those things :)

Congrats. Are you playing the solo campaigns or online? There are some
pretty good servers out there.

--

Personal ambition is for people who can't see 100 years into the future.

"Some of us prefer illusion to despair." - Nelson Muntz
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 28, 2005 7:04:47 PM

RogerM wrote:

>Grackle wrote:
>

>>"shadows" <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in message
>>

>>>["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg.]
>>>On 2005-04-26, Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>I don't want to hijack your thread but I would like to know has
>>>there been any noticeable improvement in server stability and
>>>queues? I'd go back if they fixed things.
>>>

>>I for one am playing Neverwinter Nights for the first time and have been
>>enjoying it immensely these past days, and I don't know why the hell I'd
>>want to go back to an MMORPG. Damn, I hate those things :)
>>

>Congrats. Are you playing the solo campaigns or online? There are some
>pretty good servers out there.

There are also GM'd games, like mine. Currently closed to new players,
as we have a very good group now. But things do change.
http://quaestor-universe.org/Outlands.htm
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 29, 2005 1:24:10 AM

"Quaestor" <no_spam@my.place> wrote in message
> RogerM wrote:
>
>>Grackle wrote:
>>
>>>"shadows" <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in message

>>>I for one am playing Neverwinter Nights for the first time and have been
>>>enjoying it immensely these past days, and I don't know why the hell I'd
>>>want to go back to an MMORPG. Damn, I hate those things :)
>>>

>>Congrats. Are you playing the solo campaigns or online? There are some
>>pretty good servers out there.
>>

> There are also GM'd games, like mine. Currently closed to new players, as
> we have a very good group now. But things do change.
> http://quaestor-universe.org/Outlands.htm

I'm doing the Shadows of Undrentide expansion, skipping the original
campaign (as people seem to be of mixed opinion about it) but I might get to
it eventually. I have the Platinum Edition, so there's plenty to do.
April 29, 2005 1:38:33 PM

Quaestor wrote:

> RogerM wrote:
>
> >Grackle wrote:
> >

> >>"shadows" <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in message

> >>I for one am playing Neverwinter Nights for the first time and have been
> >>enjoying it immensely these past days, and I don't know why the hell I'd
> >>want to go back to an MMORPG. Damn, I hate those things :)
> >>

> >Congrats. Are you playing the solo campaigns or online? There are some
> >pretty good servers out there.
> >

> There are also GM'd games, like mine. Currently closed to new players,

:(  No one likes a tease.

> as we have a very good group now. But things do change.
> http://quaestor-universe.org/Outlands.htm

The closest I have come to a GMed game is a few adventures run by a GM
on special occasions. I've heard it is the best way to play NWN, though.

--

Personal ambition is for people who can't see 100 years into the future.

"Some of us prefer illusion to despair." - Nelson Muntz
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 29, 2005 6:10:02 PM

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 21:24:10 -0400, "Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca>
wrote:

<snip>

>I'm doing the Shadows of Undrentide expansion, skipping the original
>campaign (as people seem to be of mixed opinion about it) but I might get to
>it eventually. I have the Platinum Edition, so there's plenty to do.

The OC is not really badly done, it's just extremely generic and
predictable. They were so heavy on the foreshadowing that nothing ever
came as a surprise to me.
!