Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Weird Internet Problem

Last response: in Networking
February 14, 2013 11:15:09 PM

For about the past month or so, I've started to have this really quite odd problem. I've tried Google'ing for a solution, but they seem to be not what I am experiencing... *Cracks knuckles*

Problem: I will be doing something online, say gaming, browsing YouTube/Facebook, or other websites. I'm usually on a VoIP program, either Skype or Teamspeak. At some point, I will go to click on a webpage (Say, a link on Reddit, or to go to a YouTube video). The page eventually never loads, and says there is a problem with my connection, yet I am still on Skype, Teamspeak, or playing a game online with my friends. I thought this was weird, and might have been perhaps a 'bug' with Chrome, so I tried Firefox and Internet Explorer, and they both gave me the same thing. The problem seems to go away, after waiting about 10 minutes or so, and then it is back to normal. I noticed that, in-game, my ping/latency isn't going up at all, so it still seems stable and around my average ping.

I thought this might have been just a weird coincidence that I was experiencing, but then it kept happening about once a day (Never a specific time, mostly just random.) My friend who lives in Toronto, Canada also said that he started having this problem.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening, and how to fix it?

Feel free to ask for information if it is needed.

More about : weird internet problem

Best solution

February 19, 2013 10:40:20 PM

Are you on Suddenlink? You may be experiencing a problem with your ISP's DNS server. The DNS server is what translates a name like tomshardware.com to 208.48.161.105 so your PC can actually communicate with it over the Internet. When the DNS server goes down it only affects new connection attempts; established connections are still fine.

To test this out, try using Google's free DNS service by going into your router settings, and where it says to use the assigned DNS change that to use these: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Good luck!
February 22, 2013 3:05:24 AM

What PhilFrisbie said.

Also, what works a lot for me when I'm having issues is doing a quick refresh in the command prompt.

1. Click Start
2. Run
3. CMD then press enter
4. Type: ipconfig /release
5: Type: ipconfig /renew

Also:
6. Type: ipconfig /flushdns

m
l
February 28, 2013 11:03:28 PM

Best answer selected by Prospektor.
m