Sign in with
Your question

Slow download speeds on brand new laptop

Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 27, 2012 6:35:09 AM

I just got a new Lenovo Ideapad y500 a few days ago, and the internet speed has been incredibly slow from the get-go. Loading images on pages takes way longer than it should, I can't watch streaming videos that last 4 minutes without it pausing to buffer every 5-10 seconds. It took about 20 minutes to download a 50mb file. My 4 year old laptop loads everything way faster, especially when downloading files. I did a ping test on both and everything was about the same, except I got a download speed of .75 mb/s on the new laptop, and between 12-17 mb/s on the old laptop.
I did a few ping tests, and this is what I got:
Ping: 25 ms
Download speed: .75 mbps
Upload speed: 4.10 mpbs

And then I tried the same test with the laptop plugged directly in to the router with the ethernet cable and I got a ping of 20 + download speed of 25.12 mbps, and I tried loading a few youtube videos and they ran perfectly. Then I ran the test again over wifi, only this time I ran it sitting right next to the router. Still got download speeds of about 20 mbps. As soon as I got back to my room (which isn't that far from the router) the download speed dropped back to ~.80 and everything went back to loading slow again. The thing is, running the test from the exact same spot in my room on my old laptop, I still was able to get download speeds of around 18 mbps.

My network card is an Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230 and the router is Linksys WRT150N wireless-n.

I've tried downloading the wireless drivers from Lenovo, and it didn't change anything. So those are up to date. There were no firmware updates available for the router on Linksys' site. Any help on fixing this would be very appreciated!
a b D Laptop
December 27, 2012 11:36:31 PM

There seems to be a lot of posts lately with people having issues with slow download speeds like the problem you are having. I haven't seem a solution yet for this and can only say to try a couple of things and see if one of them helps.
Download and save to the desktop the driver for your wireless network card.
Then delete the driver for the wireless card and when you do also empty the trash can because Windows will just grab that driver back instead of any new one you might add. Go to device manager and remove the wireless card then do a restart and load the new driver from the desktop , you have to do it this way because if you do the restart with the old driver in the trash can Windows will grab and install that driver.

Go into the routers settings and change the channel from channel 1 to 11 or 6.

m
l
December 28, 2012 10:20:23 AM

inzone said:
There seems to be a lot of posts lately with people having issues with slow download speeds like the problem you are having. I haven't seem a solution yet for this and can only say to try a couple of things and see if one of them helps.
Then delete the driver for the wireless card and when you do also empty the trash can because Windows will just grab that driver back instead of any new one you might add. Go to device manager and remove the wireless card then do a restart and load the new driver from the desktop , you have to do it this way because if you do the restart with the old driver in the trash can Windows will grab and install that driver.

Yeah, I'd read about others having the same problem, but after hours of reading I still couldn't find a fix. But changing the security mode on my router to WPA-Personal TKIP fixed it for me :) 
m
l
May 20, 2013 6:38:54 AM

exhd said:
inzone said:

Yeah, I'd read about others having the same problem, but after hours of reading I still couldn't find a fix. But changing the security mode on my router to WPA-Personal TKIP fixed it for me :) 

Im sorry but I am having the same issue with streaming and I don't understand how you change the secuirty mode on the router to WPA - PErsonal TKIP means as Im not big of computer technology! Wondering if u could explain how to do this! Thanks

m
l
!