KOTOR2: T3-M4 cannot use mine on door in Peragus?

I'm not sure if I'm just being dull here, but I'm stuck on the 2nd
"level" already!

I've got to the bit where I'm rolling around as the tin-can droid T3-M4
near the Hangar on Peragus, and have visited every room I can reach. I
seem to need some security spikes to open the doors to the hangar and
fuel-depot, but can't find any.

After hours of messing about, I gave in and looked around the net for
some ideas, and all the walkthroughs I've found simply say to mine the
door in the storage room, and get a spike from the droid in there. The
problem is, when I try to use the only mine I have (2x Deadly Sonic
Mine) I keep getting a message *Not Enough Skill*

Any clues?

"Cylindric" <stuff-google@hanfordonline.co.uk> wrote in message
> I'm not sure if I'm just being dull here, but I'm stuck on the 2nd
> "level" already!
>
> I've got to the bit where I'm rolling around as the tin-can droid T3-M4
> near the Hangar on Peragus, and have visited every room I can reach. I
> seem to need some security spikes to open the doors to the hangar and
> fuel-depot, but can't find any.
>
> After hours of messing about, I gave in and looked around the net for
> some ideas, and all the walkthroughs I've found simply say to mine the
> door in the storage room, and get a spike from the droid in there. The
> problem is, when I try to use the only mine I have (2x Deadly Sonic
> Mine) I keep getting a message *Not Enough Skill*
>
> Any clues?

Try dropping the difficulty level.

--
Derek

Cylindric in <1114643673.345635.49050@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>:

> T3-M4 [...] Hangar on Peragus [...] storage room
> The problem is, when I try to use the only mine I have (2x Deadly
> Sonic Mine) I keep getting a message *Not Enough Skill*

As Derek has said, one solution is to reduce the difficulty level. Also,
look around in your loot - you might have found one or more upgrades that
give a bonus to the Demolitions skill (e.g. Stabilization Routine +4).

There is an alternative, though. Go the console and study the options.
Especially options concerning the storage room or things in the storage
room.

And for completeness, if you had enough spikes and parts already from other
sources (loot, prologue) then you could simply skip the storage room for
the time being and have the Exile bash the door open later with the Plasma
Torch.

Thanks for the prompt response guys. I went with lowering the
difficulty for now, because I was so desperate after hours of trundling
around! After all, if I can't think of a solution this early, maybe
"difficult" was too high :D

I will go back on an old save-game though, as I'm sure (I hope) I can
find an alternative

Cylindric in <1114773779.610518.299190@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>:

> Thanks for the prompt response guys. I went with lowering the
> difficulty for now, because I was so desperate after hours of trundling
> around! After all, if I can't think of a solution this early, maybe
> "difficult" was too high :D

AFAICS the 'difficult' setting multiplies enemy damage by 1.5 and raises
the DC of skill checks like Security and Demolition (by 5, I think). There
seem to be very few cases where the 'difficult' setting blocks certain
solutions; off-hand I can think only of two: the situation that you have
experienced, and the Security Tunneler tutorial during the prologue (where
a popup message advises you of this problem, which is rather odd).

If you have any problems but don't want to consult the excellent walk-
through at GameFAQs (for fear of stumbling over spoilers) then you might
want to consider the official web forum at
http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showforum=18
Since it is a web forum the response time is quicker than here on Usenet.

> I will go back on an old save-game though, as I'm sure (I hope) I can
> find an alternative

Or you could leave it be for the moment and try alternative solutions in
the next play-through ... You have to play the game at least twice anyway
(light side and dark side, preferrably with different gender) or you'll
miss out on a lot of fun. <g>

Happy adventuring!