V3 battery life

Last response: in Brands
August 17, 2005 8:45:25 PM

I got the V3 razr, it's the first Cell Phone I've opted to own, So I'm not
for sure what the battery life on these beast are.

I let my V3 charge with it's new battery before powering it on. It said
Charge complete within 2 hours (even though the manual said let i tcharge
for 12-15) I hardly use it much for calling, I probably send 1 or 2 text
messages a day, and normally use Phone Tools for that. I find right now, it
doesn't hold a charge for more than 48 hours

I thought maybe I charged the batter wrong, and should have waited the 12-15
hours, So I bought a new battery at the store and even though it said fully
charged in 45 mins, I let it sit plugged in (and turned off) for 17 hours.
But it seems the new battery is just like the old one. 48 hours of standby
and it's dead.

I guess it's kinda normal, but one thing that drives me nuts is how wrong
the battery indicator seems to be. I will show 6 bars the first 30-36 hours,
then drop to 4 bars, after another 12 hours, the phone is dead. I've only
seen it go to 2 bars once.

Overall, my usuage of the phone is pretty low, so I'm not sure if that's the
standard charge and discharge time regardless, or if the V3 just doesn't
have a good battery life because it's so small. I would sure hate to use the
phone very much, as it would seem to me, it would die in the first 24 hours

Am I all wet, is this normnal battery life for Cell phones ?

Thanks

Dale

More about : battery life

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 10:23:38 PM

charge it overnight before using it the first time. my gives me a standby
time of somewhere 120 to 220 hours depending on how much i use it.

"Dale Mad_Murdock White" <inserthandle@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I got the V3 razr, it's the first Cell Phone I've opted to own, So I'm not
> for sure what the battery life on these beast are.
>
> I let my V3 charge with it's new battery before powering it on. It said
> Charge complete within 2 hours (even though the manual said let i tcharge
> for 12-15) I hardly use it much for calling, I probably send 1 or 2 text
> messages a day, and normally use Phone Tools for that. I find right now,
> it
> doesn't hold a charge for more than 48 hours
>
> I thought maybe I charged the batter wrong, and should have waited the
> 12-15
> hours, So I bought a new battery at the store and even though it said
> fully
> charged in 45 mins, I let it sit plugged in (and turned off) for 17 hours.
> But it seems the new battery is just like the old one. 48 hours of standby
> and it's dead.
>
> I guess it's kinda normal, but one thing that drives me nuts is how wrong
> the battery indicator seems to be. I will show 6 bars the first 30-36
> hours,
> then drop to 4 bars, after another 12 hours, the phone is dead. I've only
> seen it go to 2 bars once.
>
> Overall, my usuage of the phone is pretty low, so I'm not sure if that's
> the
> standard charge and discharge time regardless, or if the V3 just doesn't
> have a good battery life because it's so small. I would sure hate to use
> the
> phone very much, as it would seem to me, it would die in the first 24
> hours
>
> Am I all wet, is this normnal battery life for Cell phones ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dale

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 10:59:26 PM

Dale Mad_Murdock White Wrote:
> I got the V3 razr, it's the first Cell Phone I've opted to own, So I'm
> not
> for sure what the battery life on these beast are.
>
> I let my V3 charge with it's new battery before powering it on. It
> said
> Charge complete within 2 hours (even though the manual said let i
> tcharge
> for 12-15) I hardly use it much for calling, I probably send 1 or 2
> text
> messages a day, and normally use Phone Tools for that. I find right
> now, it
> doesn't hold a charge for more than 48 hours

If you use you phone in an area where signal strength is weak it will
consume the battery faster (I leave my e815 on overnight with no signal
and its dead the next AM :(  )... other issues might be your bluetooth
set to "on" and searching for a device that it never finds?

--
jeaniesing
August 17, 2005 11:05:15 PM

Wow, I wonder if I got something wrong. I tried the charge all night
technique when I bought the new battery, but I still get the same results on
both batteries (48 hours). Is there any other settings I should be looking
at that might be affecting battery life ?

"Jimmy Smith" <Holland@MST.com> wrote in message
> charge it overnight before using it the first time. my gives me a standby
> time of somewhere 120 to 220 hours depending on how much i use it.

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 1:38:41 AM

What you're experiencing is pretty typical. I use my phone for perhaps
30 min of usage per day and just charge it up every night. I never go
below 2 bars that way. I do keep an extra fully charged battery in my
briefcase just in case I need it. I rotate the batteries every couple of
weeks. For about $10 I bought a battery charging cradle and genuine
Motorola battery on ebay.

From:D ale Mad_Murdock White
inserthandle@comcast.net

> I got the V3 razr, it's the first Cell Phone I've opted to own, So
> I'm not for sure what the battery life on these beast are.
>
> I let my V3 charge with it's new battery before powering it on. It
> said Charge complete within 2 hours (even though the manual said let
> i tcharge for 12-15) I hardly use it much for calling, I probably
> send 1 or 2 text messages a day, and normally use Phone Tools for
> that. I find right now, it doesn't hold a charge for more than 48
> hours
>
> I thought maybe I charged the batter wrong, and should have waited
> the 12-15 hours, So I bought a new battery at the store and even
> though it said fully charged in 45 mins, I let it sit plugged in (and
> turned off) for 17 hours. But it seems the new battery is just like
> the old one. 48 hours of standby and it's dead.
>
> I guess it's kinda normal, but one thing that drives me nuts is how
> wrong the battery indicator seems to be. I will show 6 bars the first
> 30-36 hours, then drop to 4 bars, after another 12 hours, the phone
> is dead. I've only seen it go to 2 bars once.
>
> Overall, my usuage of the phone is pretty low, so I'm not sure if
> that's the standard charge and discharge time regardless, or if the
> V3 just doesn't have a good battery life because it's so small. I
> would sure hate to use the phone very much, as it would seem to me,
> it would die in the first 24 hours
>
> Am I all wet, is this normnal battery life for Cell phones ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dale
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 1:38:42 AM

In message <B7OMe.2447$HR5.1758@tornado.socal.rr.com> "BruceR"
<brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote:

>What you're experiencing is pretty typical. I use my phone for perhaps
>30 min of usage per day and just charge it up every night. I never go
>below 2 bars that way. I do keep an extra fully charged battery in my
>briefcase just in case I need it. I rotate the batteries every couple of
>weeks. For about $10 I bought a battery charging cradle and genuine
>Motorola battery on ebay.

48 hours? Isn't it advertised at 290 hours standby time?

I realize that product specs are a best-case scenario, but 2 days rather
then 12 days seems extreme to me.

--
I've given up on sigs. I just couldn't think of anything clever to say.
Anonymous

and if you have everything cutt on, it kills it also. Cutt off
screensavers, bluetooth, key pad tones, put backlight on shortest
setting and cut network search speed to slow. I plug mine up everyday
when I go to bed, but I talk about 3 hours a night, do some net
searching and send god knows how many sms and mms. I bought a second
battery and a $9 desktop battery only charger. Works well. If you
search or look in the knowledge section over on motomodders.net theres
is some good info on gettting the most out lithium ion batteries. If
it's new, condition it by charging for as much as 24 hours then running
it dead for about 3 cycles. After that plug it in whenever, liion's
don't have any memory.

--
troyboy30
August 18, 2005 1:59:32 PM

> If you use you phone in an area where signal strength is weak it will
> consume the battery faster (I leave my e815 on overnight with no signal
> and its dead the next AM :(  )... other issues might be your bluetooth
> set to "on" and searching for a device that it never finds?
>

> --
> jeaniesing

Well, my Cingular signal does bounce all over the place at home, and when
I'm out on the road. So maybe that's having an effect as well.

I do use bluetooth in terms that my car has it built in, and so when I get
it in auto routes everything through the cars speakers and Mic. Is turning
Bluetooth off, going to keep that from working, or jsut stop it from
searching for signals. I'm guessing it's going to kill that feature all
together. But I seldom use the car anyway, so I guess it's no big deal.

Thanks for the feedback, gives me something else to look at.
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 2:05:27 PM

I have most everything turned off, except for the backlight\display. Which I
do like being on more. I understand that it will eat away at the batteries,
if I have the phone open for long, but since mine stays closed most of the
time, I'm guessing that it's not too much of a drain.

One area I'm in pretty good shape on, is that I have a Wallcharger, a car
charger and with Phonetools, I can use my laptop or other PC to charge my
phone, so it's never too big of a worry about not getting it juiced up. But
I am looking not to have to worry about it as well

Last night I set up a slideshow program to let it completely discharge the
battery, and then let it charge again for 12 hours (again, it says charge
complete after 2hrs). I do plan to do that a few more times over the next
couple of days to get the battery conditioned.

I may still go ahead and look for a standalone battery charger as well, as
you can just never have too much spare juice laying around.

Thanks for the feedback

Dale

"troyboy30" <troyboy30.1ty52z@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message

> and if you have everything cutt on, it kills it also. Cutt off
> screensavers, bluetooth, key pad tones, put backlight on shortest
> setting and cut network search speed to slow. I plug mine up everyday
> when I go to bed, but I talk about 3 hours a night, do some net
> searching and send god knows how many sms and mms. I bought a second
> battery and a $9 desktop battery only charger. Works well. If you
> search or look in the knowledge section over on motomodders.net theres
> is some good info on gettting the most out lithium ion batteries. If
> it's new, condition it by charging for as much as 24 hours then running
> it dead for about 3 cycles. After that plug it in whenever, liion's
> don't have any memory.
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 5:21:14 PM

Dale Mad_Murdock White Wrote:
> I do use bluetooth in terms that my car has it built in, and so when I
> get
> it in auto routes everything through the cars speakers and Mic. Is
> turning
> Bluetooth off, going to keep that from working, or jsut stop it from
> searching for signals. I'm guessing it's going to kill that feature
> all
> together. But I seldom use the car anyway, so I guess it's no big
> deal.
>
> Thanks for the feedback, gives me something else to look at.
I read an article somewhere... if the car's bluetooth connection is
left open it can be hijacked by someone in the vicinity allowing them
to listen to your conversations and/or speak to you via the speakers...
If you're an international spy, having an affair, or considering getting
psychiatric help for those voices you're hearing? Bond the phone to the
car every time you get in! *laugh*

This thread http://tinyurl.com/96mgl on CPF deals with shortcutting
your BT on/off screen for easier access.

--
jeaniesing
August 19, 2005 1:46:47 AM

Do you know if they ship the US or if there's a US dealer?

From:troyboy30
troyboy30.1tz0by@nospam.cellphoneforums.net

> here's a 1700ma battery! lol
>
> Several people have ordered them, we are all kinda waiting for a
> report.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/cxyys
>

> --
> troyboy30
August 19, 2005 1:46:48 AM

In message <bl7Ne.2879$HR5.2523@tornado.socal.rr.com> "BruceR"
<brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote:

>Do you know if they ship the US or if there's a US dealer?

If so, once we hear whether or not they're any good, I'd be willing to
import a bunch (to save in cross-Atlantic shipping charges) and to
distribute them from here.

The only catch is that I'm in Canada, so shipping them out will take a
bit longer for them to arrive in the US.

--
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 then just a kind word.
Anonymous

In message <20dNe.2898$HR5.2518@tornado.socal.rr.com> "BruceR"
<brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote:

> I ordered 10 pieces of these today and expect to receive them in about
>a week. I will test one immediately and report the results here. If
>they're any good I'll have 6 or 7 to sell if anybody wants one and will
>get more as needed. Assuming US Customs doesn't take a cut, I'll sell
>them for $19.95 each delivered in the USA or CAN - same as the auction
>price with delivery. They claim 1700ma but even if it's only 1500ma
>that's more than twice the capacity of the OEM version. Older OEM
>batteries are 680ma and newer ones are 710ma (the number is on your
>battery). Therefore, at least in theory, a 1500 or 1700ma battery should
>last at least twice as long.
> Stay tuned!

Sign me up for one, I can either do PayPal or money order...

--
This signature does not exist.
Anonymous

In message <uagNe.2910$HR5.868@tornado.socal.rr.com> "BruceR"
<brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote:

>OK, I'll post availability once they get here so keep watching this
>space. I've put you down on the "dibs" list. You can email me at the
>address shown by removing the obvious if you want me to contact you
>directly.

My email is valid, drop me a line once you have some news.

--
Why is a person who plays the piano called a pianist,
but a person who drives a race car isn't called a racist?

In article <C%aNe.6618$RZ2.1855@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
Steve <nr4p@NOJUNKearthlink.net> wrote:
>There's really no such thing as conditioning a Lithium Ion battery.

Yes there is. That is the reason why LiIon capacity increases after the
initial few charge-discharge cycles. See this from a LiIon battery engineer:

[begin quote]

From: Evgenij Barsukov <e-barsoukov2_hate_spam@ti.com>
Newsgroups: sci.chem.electrochem.battery
Subject: Re: Charging Li-Ion batteries
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 10:17:07 -0500

GGreen wrote:

> Rumor has it that Li-Ions should be 'conditioned' when new. That
> would entail charging completely, then running to a very low discharge
> point, and cycling through that a couple times. After that initial
> breakin cycle, it's OK to charge the battery at any time.
>
> I've seen that in print several times. Any basis for it?

Actually conditioning (formation of semi-insulating layer on the anode
particles) is done by battery manufacturers. They are required to make
the formation cycle before they ship the cells. Formation is not completely
finished in one charge cycle, so in case of some manufacturers who make only
one formation cycle, cells will still show increased capacity loss during
a comple of additional cycles.

Also, most of new high capacity cells have increased useable capacity loss
during first 10-20 cycles, and then capacity stabilizes. This has similar
reason - still growing insulating layer increases cell impedance which
in turn results in less useable capacity at high (say C/2) loads wich are
common in notebooks, phones and PDAs.

There is no need to deeply discharge the battery for make formation cycle.
Insulating layer will be formed in the natural cause of battery usage (mostly
during charging stage).

Regards,
Evgenij

[end quote]
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 10:44:48 PM

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 21:46:47 GMT, "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com>
wrote:

>Do you know if they ship the US or if there's a US dealer?
>
>From:troyboy30
>troyboy30.1tz0by@nospam.cellphoneforums.net
>
>> here's a 1700ma battery! lol
>>
>> Several people have ordered them, we are all kinda waiting for a
>> report.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/cxyys

Thanks for that. I've just bought one. (I'm in the UK)
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 12:51:52 AM

Just curious, is the a 1700 or anything close for the V400 phones ? I did a
little goggling and I couldn't find anything.

Thanks

Dale

"BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote in message
> You are #2 on the list. You'll hear from me as soon as they arrive.
>
> From:D ale Mad_Murdock White
> inserthandle@comcast.net

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 7:18:55 AM

Apparently there is. See http://tinyurl.com/8f9hp.
I don't know why, but it seems these batteries are only being sold in
Germany on ebay's German site. I ordered the v3 one's from one of the
dealers in Germany but I'm sure the batteries are actually made in China
or Taiwan.

From:D ale Mad_Murdock White
inserthandle@comcast.net

!