Help With Ram Selection

mindlor

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
Hello, I am building a new system and I seem to be very confused by all the memory types available. My system will consist of an Atlon XP 1700++, and an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe. Everyone knows that the mobo will support DDR 400. However the proc has an FSB of 266. I do plan on overclocking this puppy. However, is it still important to match the memory to the proc. ie should I buy DDR2100. or, is it better to run asynchronus until I can afford a better proc?? ARGGHHHH I am so confused lol. Any replies appreciated :)

Thanks.

Mindlor

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
DDR2100, you mean PC2100, which is DDR266. You could underclock PC3200 to PC2100 speed if you wanted to try running it synchronous to the CPU. But AMD platforms are getting a tad better performance running the memory faster due to decreased latency. Also, PC3200 has more future than PC2100, should you decide to carry over the memory from your current system into your next one.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

Thistledown

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2002
I have the same thing going on...I bought a bare bones system xp1800 with a 266mhz fsb and I upgraded the mobo at the last minute to a kt400 chipset mobo. I am also not sure what to do, but it seems to make sence to get the better ram and underclock it, this way when i upgrade the cpu down the road I wont have to upgrade the memory as well.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Finally, someone looking to save money over the long term! Thank you!

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
I think actually using ddr333 is slightly faster than running synchronously. I'm not sure why, perhaps because the CPU isn't the only thing accessing the system memory? Of course you can still underclock ddr400.

Personally I'm saving money by using good quality DDR333, which is still cheeper than the generic ddr400. When I upgrade to a Barton core I can always try overclocking my RAM.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.