In windows 7 wLAN gets signal but no IP address

Ardy_27

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
my WLAN works usually fine but I noticed in one public(Hot spot) place, I was able to connect the router but no IP address was assigned. it is a laptop and it is working in other public Hot spot places. Is it anything to do with the settings or it is that specific place that has problem. my IP address setting is in DHCP and automatically is assigned. Please reply to arnamdar@rogers.com
BTW. It is porfessional window 7
Aredshir

WLAN does not stand for wireless local area network , WLAN is a port on a router that you connect an ethernet cable to from a modem.
If your using a laptop and connecting to a local hot spot when you are out in public then you are using your wireless network card in the laptop.
If you connect to a hot spot then you are assigned an Ip address , if you do not get the Ip address then you are not connected and maybe you have to put a password. Some places willl have free hot spot connection but also have a password that will be posted someplace inside so that only actual customers who enter the buisness an use the hot spot. Next time you go to that same place where you didn't get connected look and see if there is a password posted someplace or ask someone that's working there.

Mike Oppenneer

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013

Really? Most ports (usually yellow) on routers where the internet comes in from a high speed moden is labled 'internet' not wlan. Every resource I've checked defines WLAN as wireless local area network, as opposed to WAN 'wide area network' like cellular data