Schryver

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2003
<A HREF="http://www.ebnews.com/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=LZGTGY21NDATGQSNDBCSKICCJUMEIJVN?articleID=6500001" target="_new">ah heck.</A>

I'm actually a yank, I just like using that term. :)

Anyway, everybody's roadmaps seem to be getting pushed back lately. But as long as DDR-1 can keep up with FSB speeds, I guess nobody's gonna fuss too much... I was still looking forward to the stuff though.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Thanks for the link mate.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Introducing the NVIDIA GeForceFX: The first Videocard designed exclusively for deaf people!</A></font color=red>

eden

Champion
We may as well skip the generation and go straight for DDR-3 lol.

IMO we don't even need it, if we can muster QBM Dual Channel DDR. That's already quad bandwidth over the double data rate we have no, hence an ODR result of SDR.
PC2700 would equal 10.8GB/sec, plenty for a long time.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

Schryver

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2003
Yeah... the real limitation of current DDR that I see is power consumption. The stuff soaks up one heckuvalotta power to run at the specs we like it at. <A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com/articles696" target="_new">Check this link out.</A> It's kinda long, but a good read. If you don't have the time, let me summarize:

If we have a 256MB module made with 256 Mbit DDR333 Infineon chips, it is going to need (8*285 mA) 2280 mA per stick of DDR333. That's over 2 Amps!! If we put 4 sticks in we now need 9120 mA of current at 2.5 Volts to drive them all. That's 22.8 Watts of power.
I can see some mobos giving up at this point.

DDRII is also just around the corner. It will help the power situation out even more since it needs only 1.8 Volts. That's around a 25% savings over the 2.5 V required by DDR. Memory manufactures are also constantly working to shrink the process size which also shrinks power consumption.
Right around the corner, eh? heheh. But yeah the reduction in consumption (that's fun to say) would be nice... might make popping in 4 1GB DIMMS more reasonable than it currently is.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
pepsi can to diet pepsi can.Jedec is dead like most of the open source in hardware.Long life to MS and intel

Just next to the lab and the bunker you will find the marketing departement.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
They keep shrinking RAM though. They could make DDR that ran at lower voltages. Problem is that the boards supply higher voltages. One solution to that problem is to make the data pathways longer so it needs more power I think, by putting more memory on a single chip? If that's a possible solution, the chips on the smaller die process could have higher density and consume the same amount of power as a larger die process chip with half the capacity?

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
What happened to QBM technology? No QBM DDR memory modules, no QBM supporting VIA chipets yet...

<b> "You can put lipstick on a pig, but hey, it's still a pig!" - RobD </b>