need at least 100 players (free)

Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 25, 2005 10:50:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games (More info?)

Starwar is an free online multiplayer space strategy game. As a player
(Faction), you interact with thousands (i hope) of other players (Factions)
in the quest for galactic dominance.
Helping you along is your Empire, which is comprised of all the other
players (Factions)in your native star system.
Your Empire can also ally with other Empires to deflect threats from
enemies.
To play the game you only need a webbrowser (no downloads).

You dont need to provide any information if you like to register, even no
email.

The link: http://starwar.sytes.net/

More about : 100 players free

Anonymous
August 30, 2005 6:04:01 PM

Karel <maartens@home.nl> wrote:
> Starwar is an free online multiplayer space strategy game. As a player
> (Faction), you interact with thousands (i hope) of other players (Factions)
> in the quest for galactic dominance.

Looks cool! When do you expect it to start?

Have you thought of ...

.... scalability, will the servers be capable of handling thousands of
clients? (like, Planetarion got more popular than anyone would
imagine, and the servers couldn't handle the load for a period.
Optimization work tends to be done only after it becomes obvious that
it's needed, and stress tests often fail to reproduce "real" load)

.... the significant risk that most of the players joining over the
last days probably will forget all about the game before it starts or
at least before it ends? (I was working on some similar project, and
normally only around 10% of the players would be active all through
the game - it helped a bit to have email scripts telling people that
the game had started and/or restarted and/or that x days of inactivity
was detected - but since you don't collect email addresses, you can't
do that...

--
This signature has been virus scanned, and is probably safe to read
Tobias Brox, 69°42'N, 18°57'E

Archived from groups: alt.games (More info?)

Karel <maartens@home.nl> wrote:
> It is not written in php or other scripting language but in pure C-code and
> it is his own server

wow, that's rare nowadays! :-) I suppose you use some SQL database in
the backend?

Currently I'm working on a commercial project, actually I don't think
it's more complex than yours, but we have so far spread it out over 7
servers, most of them beeing with multiple cpus, and we already need
more and bigger hardware. Nowadays it's regarded as "cheaper" to
throw hardware on problems than to pay coders for doing a decent job,
but that's not always the truth.

> The game starts today (1 sept at 18.00 server time) the time is in the
> forums and is the Dutch time.

I must have misread; thought it was UTC time. I got myself a surprise
at around 18:15 :-)

> If the pages are slow than that can depends on a lot of factors like the
> hubs between you and the server,
> If the original server is fast than i cannot do much about that i think...

starwar.sytes.net - that seems to point to a dynamic IP? I must say
that I do have some network problems, it takes time to connect, time
to download the pages and often I just get "connection refused". At
the moment, neither port 80 nor port 9920 seems to respond?

> If we have to much people, and the server gets problems than i upgrade it to
> a bigger one :)

> Again sorry for this late reaction

Not a problem, better late than never. Quite often people post
announcements without reading the follow-ups, one must not forget that
most of the usenet forums are primarly for discussions, and not
announcements.

As for the game itself, I must admit I have became absolutely hooked.
"Luckily" the game seems to be down now, so I can do some work... ;-)