Sigh is my only option console RPGS or MPORPGS?

Anything coming down the pipe for computer RPG's?

Are we stuck with hybrid action rpgs like Jade Empire or multi player online
RPGS?

Cheers, Reddog

"Reddogfive" <reddogfivenospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Anything coming down the pipe for computer RPG's?
>
> Are we stuck with hybrid action rpgs like Jade Empire or multi player
online
> RPGS?
>
> Cheers, Reddog

This should answer your question:
http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1067

Reddogfive wrote:
> Anything coming down the pipe for computer RPG's?
>
> Are we stuck with hybrid action rpgs like Jade Empire or multi player online
> RPGS?
>
> Cheers, Reddog

There's the cRPG that Bioware has announced, Dragon Age, which I can
only hopefully assume is a Fallout/BG2-type RPG. I don't know what
details exactly have been announced about the gameplay.

Tom

Thusly Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> Spake Unto All:

>"Reddogfive" <reddogfivenospam@hotmail.com> once tried to test me with:
>
>> Anything coming down the pipe for computer RPG's?
>>
>> Are we stuck with hybrid action rpgs like Jade Empire or multi player
>> online RPGS?
>
>Heretic Kingdoms just came out in the US, I'm getting ready to review that
>game. Demo is here: http://www.gamershell.com/download_7167.shtml

What? You've not had that one until now? Wow.

It's a quite nice Diablo clone. Short, and the less said about the
story the better, but a nice game.

>Dungeon Lords is out May 3 or 5 (can't remember) and it's a single or
>multi-player co-op (small party) action/RPG. Demo on GamersHell:
>http://www.gamershell.com/download_8736.shtml

Non-stop twitch-killing of waves of random & braindead monsters, just
what I've always wanted.

>There were some other games I didn't bother researching that were on the
>RPGdot release dates page which is here:
>http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10055

So with 2-3 possible exceptions, the answer to his question is
"yes"...

--
A True Hero: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/03/magazine/03ALI.html

Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> once tried to test me
with:

> Thusly Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> Spake Unto All:
>
>>"Reddogfive" <reddogfivenospam@hotmail.com> once tried to test me
>>with:
>>
>>> Anything coming down the pipe for computer RPG's?
>>>
>>> Are we stuck with hybrid action rpgs like Jade Empire or multi
>>> player online RPGS?
>>
>>Heretic Kingdoms just came out in the US, I'm getting ready to review
>>that game. Demo is here: http://www.gamershell.com/download_7167.shtml
>
> What? You've not had that one until now? Wow.

Yah, it came out fairly recently in US, I just got my review copy in the
mail yesterday, just fired it up today. Played it about 2 or 3 hours so far
on Normal. Seems pretty damn hard, way harder than Diablo 2 on starting out
anyway. But the story seems unusual at least so far. I love the Dreamworld
stuff, that's a neat twist.

> It's a quite nice Diablo clone. Short, and the less said about the
> story the better, but a nice game.

So you didn't like the story, after all? I kind of thought it was fairly
unique, at least at the start.

>>Dungeon Lords is out May 3 or 5 (can't remember) and it's a single or
>>multi-player co-op (small party) action/RPG. Demo on GamersHell:
>>http://www.gamershell.com/download_8736.shtml
>
> Non-stop twitch-killing of waves of random & braindead monsters, just
> what I've always wanted.

Hey, it's action/RPG. I'm hoping DWB can put a good story in the game, if
so it will be worth the hack-n-slash. I enjoyed the combat in the demo once
I got the hang of it and got a few levels. I should be reviewing this game
so hopefully I'll be able to say whether or not they've improved the AI for
the final version which should be out early May.

>>There were some other games I didn't bother researching that were on
>>the RPGdot release dates page which is here:
>>http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10055
>
> So with 2-3 possible exceptions, the answer to his question is
> "yes"...

Uh, no. I didn't spend an hour researching all those links for nothing.
There are single-player PC RPG games out now, and more on the horizon. The
world of single-player RPG gaming is not over. Just because there's no
Baldur's Gate II out this year doesn't mean the genre is dead.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

(Kult: Heretic Kingdoms)
> > It's a quite nice Diablo clone. Short, and the less said about the
> > story the better, but a nice game.
>
> So you didn't like the story, after all? I kind of thought it was
fairly
> unique, at least at the start.

To be honest, I found the story retarded. Fortunately it didn't affect
the actual gameplay noticeably, so I could just ignore it.

> >>Dungeon Lords is out May 3 or 5 (can't remember) and it's a single
or
> >>multi-player co-op (small party) action/RPG. Demo on GamersHell:
> >>http://www.gamershell.com/download_8736.shtml
> >
> > Non-stop twitch-killing of waves of random & braindead monsters,
just
> > what I've always wanted.
>
> Hey, it's action/RPG.

It sure is. Can't remember an RPG with that much action since Gauntlet.

> > So with 2-3 possible exceptions, the answer to his question is
> > "yes"...
>
> Uh, no. I didn't spend an hour researching all those links for
nothing.
> There are single-player PC RPG games out now, and more on the
horizon.

Yeah, but his question was "Are we stuck with hybrid action rpgs like
Jade Empire or multi player online RPGS?". Most of the games on that
list are either.

> The
> world of single-player RPG gaming is not over. Just because there's
no
> Baldur's Gate II out this year doesn't mean the genre is dead.

Oh the *genre* is alive and kicking. *PC style* single-player RPG's are
pretty much extinct, though.

Knight37 wrote:
> "old dude" <noworks@somewhere.net> once tried to test me with:
>
> > About the D&D license, who owns it now, and have you heard of any
D&D
> > games on the horizon? Does Atari still own it (NWN2)? Any
indication
> > of whether they will do anything else except NWN2? Sorry, I've
been
> > out of the loop for quite a while...
>
> Atari owns it I think. NWN2 is being developed by Obsidian, and will
be
> published by Atari, release date is Q1 2006 (unless it gets pushed
back,
> which is probable). There is a new D&D title coming out this summer
(June
> 14) called Dragonshard by Atari that is going to be an RTS/RPG
hybrid.
> Turbine (makers of Asheron's Call) is developing D&D Online, an
MMORPG, but
> Atari is listed as publisher for that one. Atari also apparently is
> scheduled to publish Baldur's Gate III, but no release date has been
set
> yet, they don't even list a developer on the GameSpy page for it.
>
> Atari also recently published D&D Heroes for the consoles, and Demon
Stone
> for consoles and the PC.
>
> I'm not sure if any other developers/publishers have rights to D&D
licenses
> or not. Interplay had the rights previously, and I believe when they
filed
> bankruptcy Atari bought their rights in the "fire sale." I'm also
not sure
> how long Atari has the license for.

Are there any plans for more games using the TOEE engine? I mean, sure
the game had a lot of problems, but that was one awesome engine. One of
the best ones for D&D ever made, IMO.

mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk once tried to test me with:

>> Hey, it's action/RPG.
>
> It sure is. Can't remember an RPG with that much action since Gauntlet.

>> > So with 2-3 possible exceptions, the answer to his question is
>> > "yes"...
>>
>> Uh, no. I didn't spend an hour researching all those links for
> nothing. There are single-player PC RPG games out now, and more on the
> horizon.
>
> Yeah, but his question was "Are we stuck with hybrid action rpgs like
> Jade Empire or multi player online RPGS?". Most of the games on that
> list are either.

Ok for some reason I thought he was saying "are we stuck with console RPGs
or MMOG's." I agree, the turn-based single-player RPG is pretty damn
scarce. You can't really blame the game makers, though, turn-based RPGs
don't seem to sell very well. The last few that have come out just haven't
been big hits, so naturally they avoid it. TOEE did modestly well but that
was due to the D&D license more than anything else.

>> The
>> world of single-player RPG gaming is not over. Just because there's
> no Baldur's Gate II out this year doesn't mean the genre is dead.
>
> Oh the *genre* is alive and kicking. *PC style* single-player RPG's are
> pretty much extinct, though.

What do you mean by "PC style". BG2 is PC style? What makes it PC style
over something like Oblivion or Freedom Force 2 or Geneforge 3? What were
the last 5 "PC style" games that came out?

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

[snip]
> Ok for some reason I thought he was saying "are we stuck with console RPGs
> or MMOG's." I agree, the turn-based single-player RPG is pretty damn
> scarce. You can't really blame the game makers, though, turn-based RPGs
> don't seem to sell very well. The last few that have come out just haven't
> been big hits, so naturally they avoid it. TOEE did modestly well but that
> was due to the D&D license more than anything else.

About the D&D license, who owns it now, and have you heard of any D&D games
on the horizon? Does Atari still own it (NWN2)? Any indication of whether
they will do anything else except NWN2? Sorry, I've been out of the loop
for quite a while...

thanks,

old dude

"Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message
> "old dude" <noworks@somewhere.net> once tried to test me with:
>
> > About the D&D license, who owns it now, and have you heard of any D&D
> > games on the horizon? Does Atari still own it (NWN2)? Any indication
> > of whether they will do anything else except NWN2? Sorry, I've been
> > out of the loop for quite a while...
>
> Atari owns it I think. NWN2 is being developed by Obsidian, and will be
> published by Atari, release date is Q1 2006 (unless it gets pushed back,
> which is probable). There is a new D&D title coming out this summer (June
> 14) called Dragonshard by Atari that is going to be an RTS/RPG hybrid.
> Turbine (makers of Asheron's Call) is developing D&D Online, an MMORPG,
but
> Atari is listed as publisher for that one. Atari also apparently is
> scheduled to publish Baldur's Gate III, but no release date has been set
> yet, they don't even list a developer on the GameSpy page for it.
>
> Atari also recently published D&D Heroes for the consoles, and Demon Stone
> for consoles and the PC.
>
> I'm not sure if any other developers/publishers have rights to D&D
licenses
> or not. Interplay had the rights previously, and I believe when they filed
> bankruptcy Atari bought their rights in the "fire sale." I'm also not
sure
> how long Atari has the license for.
>
> --
>
> Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com
>
> Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Thanks for that bit of info. Apart from rpgdot and rpgcodex, are there any
other good news sites to keep up with CRPG news?

again thanks,

old dude

thrasher

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 10:04:50 -0400, "Reddogfive"
<reddogfivenospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Anything coming down the pipe for computer RPG's?

No. It's been 5 years now since the last really good RPG came out.
It's been 2 years since the last *bad* RPG came out. Seems like the
answer to this question is self evident.

>Are we stuck with hybrid action rpgs like Jade Empire

Yes. Of course, nobody will call them Hybrid games. No matter that
they are 90% action games with a measly 10% RPG "elements" thrown in.
There's stats, or NPC interaction (but probably not both :p) so it's
an RPG!!

Honestly, I think the designers and the fans of this type of game are
so ignorant of what a real RPG is supposed to be like, they actually
believe their own bullshit. I mean what's te baseline, what's the gold
standard, when all the *real* RPGs can be written off as yesterday's
news?

> or multi player online RPGS?

Sorry to break it to you, but there's not much to be had for mature
players who like sophisticated gameplay and meaningful socializing in
online games either. For the least several years the trend has been
toards making the MMORPG into a massive first person shooter. With
stats, though. Just like with single player games, instead of
enhancing and improving what came before, they've simplified
everything, dumbed down all the advanced features, made the game play
ridiculously easy, compensated by adding non-stop frenetic action to
keep people busy, etc. And that's a good thing. Because who needs to
spend money making wargames, roleplaying games, advanced action games
like Mechwarrior 2 and Privateer, advanced strategy games like X-COM
and Master of Magic, and all the other highly popular and very
successful games of the past, when they can hire idiot designers and
idiot programmers to make a game for idiots, that takes a tenth the
time to code and is made by people who get paid half what their
predecessors made?

That's good business! Abandon the niche markets, and go strait for the
mainstream, no matter how saturated the mainstream is, and no matter
how under-serviced the niche markets are...

Everybody knows that's how you succeed at business.

"old dude" <noworks@somewhere.net> once tried to test me with:

> Thanks for that bit of info. Apart from rpgdot and rpgcodex, are
> there any other good news sites to keep up with CRPG news?

Well There is RPGamer but it's slanted toward console RPGs which you may
not care for. And of course the general gaming sites like Gamespot and
GameSpy. And IGN has RPGVault at http://rpgvault.ign.com/?fromint=1 But
personally I can't stand IGN.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

burt1112@hotmail.com once tried to test me with:

> Are there any plans for more games using the TOEE engine? I mean, sure
> the game had a lot of problems, but that was one awesome engine. One of
> the best ones for D&D ever made, IMO.

I don't think so. It is a shame but Troika developed that engine and now
they're gone, so whoever else came along to do another game would basically
be starting from scratch anyway.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Knight37 wrote:
>> Apparrently, they'd rather not go through the bother of ordering and
>> stocking PC Games, when they sell so poorly.
>
> Yeah. Well you know, that's a console game store. At least, now it is.

On top of that, consider how many folks are buying PC games online, like I
do. I haven't bought but maybe one or two games from a brick and mortar in
at least a couple of years. And considering the difference between
gogamer's and EB's prices, it's no wonder.
--
chainbreaker

"chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> once tried to test me with:

> On top of that, consider how many folks are buying PC games online,
> like I do. I haven't bought but maybe one or two games from a brick
> and mortar in at least a couple of years. And considering the
> difference between gogamer's and EB's prices, it's no wonder

Yah GoGamer. I buy from them all the time. And sometimes from EBGames
online store. And sometimes from Amazon. And RARELY from Best Buy (either
online or in the store) or Fry's (never online).

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

On 1 May 2005 19:58:58 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:

>burt1112@hotmail.com once tried to test me with:
>
>> Are there any plans for more games using the TOEE engine? I mean, sure
>> the game had a lot of problems, but that was one awesome engine. One of
>> the best ones for D&D ever made, IMO.
>
>I don't think so. It is a shame but Troika developed that engine and now
>they're gone, so whoever else came along to do another game would basically
>be starting from scratch anyway.

It is possible that someone who really wanted to use the Arcanum
engine could buy it or license it. I know it is a slim chance, but
still possible.

Lynley

nostromo

Thus spake "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com>, Sun, 1 May 2005 18:51:13
-0400, Anno Domini:

>Knight37 wrote:
>>> Apparrently, they'd rather not go through the bother of ordering and
>>> stocking PC Games, when they sell so poorly.
>>
>> Yeah. Well you know, that's a console game store. At least, now it is.
>>

>On top of that, consider how many folks are buying PC games online, like I
>do. I haven't bought but maybe one or two games from a brick and mortar in
>at least a couple of years. And considering the difference between
>gogamer's and EB's prices, it's no wonder.

I had to go into a store to buy EQ2 *grumble*...lucky I had that $100 EB
voucher :)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

Lynley James <lynley.james@gmail.com> once tried to test me with:

>>I don't think so. It is a shame but Troika developed that engine and
>>now they're gone, so whoever else came along to do another game would
>>basically be starting from scratch anyway.
>
> It is possible that someone who really wanted to use the Arcanum
> engine could buy it or license it. I know it is a slim chance, but
> still possible.

It's a chance but would they really want to license an engine that has the
reputation of being chock full of bugs?

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

On 2 May 2005 16:56:42 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:

>Lynley James <lynley.james@gmail.com> once tried to test me with:
>
>>>I don't think so. It is a shame but Troika developed that engine and
>>>now they're gone, so whoever else came along to do another game would
>>>basically be starting from scratch anyway.
>>
>> It is possible that someone who really wanted to use the Arcanum
>> engine could buy it or license it. I know it is a slim chance, but
>> still possible.
>
>It's a chance but would they really want to license an engine that has the
>reputation of being chock full of bugs?

I certainly wouldn't, but you never know. If the documentation is top
notch, and when has that ever happened?, and someone believes it would
be cheaper to fix an existing engine rather than writing one from
scratch then they would do it. IT all comes down to the cost benefit
analysis.

Lynley

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-05-03, Lynley James <lynley.james@gmail.com> wrote:

> I certainly wouldn't, but you never know. If the documentation is top
> notch, and when has that ever happened?, and someone believes it would
> be cheaper to fix an existing engine rather than writing one from
> scratch then they would do it. IT all comes down to the cost benefit
> analysis.

Arcanum is far too ancient of an engine to be worth anything
beyond a few thousand dollars at best. You still need to hire a
competent programmer to fix up the engine and add anything you
need.

On Tue, 03 May 2005 09:28:41 -0500, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com>
wrote:

>On 2005-05-03, Lynley James <lynley.james@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I certainly wouldn't, but you never know. If the documentation is top
>> notch, and when has that ever happened?, and someone believes it would
>> be cheaper to fix an existing engine rather than writing one from
>> scratch then they would do it. IT all comes down to the cost benefit
>> analysis.
>
>Arcanum is far too ancient of an engine to be worth anything
>beyond a few thousand dollars at best. You still need to hire a
>competent programmer to fix up the engine and add anything you
>need.

It may be old, but that still doesn't mean it is past its sellby date.
The BG engine was around for at least five years and there are still
people out there modding it. The Source engine should be around for
quite some time as should the Doom3 engine. If someone wanted to
release something on the cheap they could do worse than the Arcanum
engine. Besides it's the latest turnbased engine out there ;O)

Lynley

nostromo

Thus spake Lynley James <lynley.james@gmail.com>, Tue, 03 May 2005 19:06:07
+0200, Anno Domini:

>On Tue, 03 May 2005 09:28:41 -0500, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On 2005-05-03, Lynley James <lynley.james@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I certainly wouldn't, but you never know. If the documentation is top
>>> notch, and when has that ever happened?, and someone believes it would
>>> be cheaper to fix an existing engine rather than writing one from
>>> scratch then they would do it. IT all comes down to the cost benefit
>>> analysis.
>>
>>Arcanum is far too ancient of an engine to be worth anything
>>beyond a few thousand dollars at best. You still need to hire a
>>competent programmer to fix up the engine and add anything you
>>need.
>
>It may be old, but that still doesn't mean it is past its sellby date.
>The BG engine was around for at least five years and there are still
>people out there modding it. The Source engine should be around for
>quite some time as should the Doom3 engine. If someone wanted to
>release something on the cheap they could do worse than the Arcanum
>engine. Besides it's the latest turnbased engine out there ;O)
>
>Lynley

Wouldn't they be better with the TOEE engine, assuming there aren't too any
bugs in the engine itself? Given Troika is belly-up, who has rights to sell
it?

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

On Wed, 04 May 2005 07:27:29 +1000, Nostromo
<nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote:

>Thus spake Lynley James <lynley.james@gmail.com>, Tue, 03 May 2005 19:06:07
>+0200, Anno Domini:
>
>>On Tue, 03 May 2005 09:28:41 -0500, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com>
>>wrote:

>>>Arcanum is far too ancient of an engine to be worth anything
>>>beyond a few thousand dollars at best. You still need to hire a
>>>competent programmer to fix up the engine and add anything you
>>>need.
>>
>>It may be old, but that still doesn't mean it is past its sellby date.
>>The BG engine was around for at least five years and there are still
>>people out there modding it. The Source engine should be around for
>>quite some time as should the Doom3 engine. If someone wanted to
>>release something on the cheap they could do worse than the Arcanum
>>engine. Besides it's the latest turnbased engine out there ;O)
>>
>>Lynley
>
>Wouldn't they be better with the TOEE engine, assuming there aren't too any
>bugs in the engine itself? Given Troika is belly-up, who has rights to sell
>it?

The ToEE engine, AFAIK, is a tweaked Arcanum one i.e. they found and
fixed some bugs ;OP

Lynley

Lynley James <lynley.james@gmail.com> once tried to test me with:

> The ToEE engine, AFAIK, is a tweaked Arcanum one i.e. they found and
> fixed some bugs ;OP

Inspiration: Jeff Vogel buys the ToEE engine and makes Avernum 4. :)

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.