Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-05-01, deroville <facedumbo@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm wondering what suggestions people would have about the best MMORPG
> out there for a pair of players to duo together. Not being able to
> make it to the absolute highest levels, not raiding etc., is not a
> problem - but it would be nice to feel like we'd have different places
> to go and things to do.

City of Heroes if you don't mind the super hero aspect can work
well this way. In fact you can have a "sidekick" if your friend
is a few levels lower than you.

> I've read that WOW provides a lot of solo possibilities, so I suppose
> that means a duo could get around pretty well. But I'm wondering about
> EQ2, SWG and others too.

You can do most of WoW solo or with one or two other people. I
typically group with one or two people when I find a particular
quest tough but that usually means I haven't crafted up or bought
the necessary equipment for my level/build.

"deroville" <facedumbo@yahoo.com> once tried to test me with:

> I've read that WOW provides a lot of solo possibilities, so I suppose
> that means a duo could get around pretty well. But I'm wondering about
> EQ2, SWG and others too.

WoW is very duo-able. I have a real-life friend who plays with her husband
this way all the time. They love it. They tried EQ2 first and were enjoying
it but once they tried WoW they dropped EQ2 like a rock and went to WoW.

You can try EQ2 for free, though, so I recommend downloading the Trial of
the Isle and see for yourself if you'd like it. Problem for me was trying
to hook up with my online friend during the trial, we ended up in different
instances and we couldn't get anyone to answer a question about how to end
up in the same instance. Since I only had an hour to play it that night, it
kind of ruined the fun for us. YMMV. Beware that the Trial of EQ2 is a huge
ass download, not really feasible if you aren't on broadband (something
like 1.5 gb?).

Anarchy Online is a free to play MMORPG, you might check that out. It was
very fun in its day, I played it for several months back in 2001 or so but
it's a bit dated these days, at least graphically, but also somewhat in
gameplay. Also it's got kind of a steep learning curve, compared to WoW.

I have no experience with SWG so can't say on that one.

City of Heroes is almost as fun as WoW, and I bet a duo could do it very
well, but you got to love the superhero genre and you can also forget the
notion of "phat lewt" since there is none in that one.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

deroville wrote:
> I'm wondering what suggestions people would have about the best MMORPG
> out there for a pair of players to duo together. Not being able to
> make it to the absolute highest levels, not raiding etc., is not a
> problem - but it would be nice to feel like we'd have different places
> to go and things to do.

Any of the "big 3"--EQ2, WoW, or CoH--should fill the bill. Heh, CoH's
character generator alone is worth cost of admission, even if you don't like
the game.

If you pick WoW, it sounds like you're the kind person who'd be happier on a
PvE, low population server (if there is such a thing).

You'll want a fairly high end machine with a minimum of at least a gig of
memory before even thinking about EQ2, but if you have that, it can suit
your needs, too.

--
chainbreaker

"deroville" <facedumbo@yahoo.com> writes:

> I'm wondering what suggestions people would have about the best MMORPG
> out there for a pair of players to duo together. Not being able to
> make it to the absolute highest levels, not raiding etc., is not a
> problem - but it would be nice to feel like we'd have different places
> to go and things to do.

I am currently enjoying Matrix Online, though you need relatively much
RAM and video memory unless you like running through syrup. There you
can pair up for missions and hunting very easily.

"Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message

> You can try EQ2 for free, though, so I recommend downloading the Trial of
> the Isle and see for yourself if you'd like it. Problem for me was trying
> to hook up with my online friend during the trial, we ended up in
> different
> instances and we couldn't get anyone to answer a question about how to end
> up in the same instance. Since I only had an hour to play it that night,
> it
> kind of ruined the fun for us.

I guess you missed the mariner bell right there that gives you the right
click option to locate another player by name on a different server. I
always felt that was too hidden a feature, they should make that more
prominent in the tutorial or something, I bet there are others who didn't
figure it out either.

--
Redbeard, the Relic Keeper
<Veritas>

Descendant of the Elder Winterfury Thunderwolf
<Resolution, Retired>
Barbarian Prophet of The Tribunal
Retired Citizen of Firiona Vie

I'm wondering what suggestions people would have about the best MMORPG
out there for a pair of players to duo together. Not being able to
make it to the absolute highest levels, not raiding etc., is not a
problem - but it would be nice to feel like we'd have different places
to go and things to do.
FWIW, we played EQ for quite a while off and on and had fun, slowly
meandering up in levels and poking around the world.
I've read that WOW provides a lot of solo possibilities, so I suppose
that means a duo could get around pretty well. But I'm wondering about

EQ2, SWG and others too.

I've played all the major MMORPGs out there except FFXI, and for duo I
would recommend in order:
1) City of Heroes
2) World of Warcraft
3) All the others
The problem I've found duoing in World of Warcraft is that most fights
(except elite mobs) are so fast, that by the time the second person
finishes casting the mob is already dead. It's too solo-oriented. But
it works, just not as well for duos as City of Heroes IMHO

Hi
Been playing Liniage 2 if you want a duo liniage give bounus if you party
with another person.
One of the best games I ever played and with free expantions <C3 is coming
within 2 weeks>
If you want to find out more http://www.lineage2.com/

"deroville" <facedumbo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm wondering what suggestions people would have about the best MMORPG
> out there for a pair of players to duo together. Not being able to
> make it to the absolute highest levels, not raiding etc., is not a
> problem - but it would be nice to feel like we'd have different places
> to go and things to do.
>
> FWIW, we played EQ for quite a while off and on and had fun, slowly
> meandering up in levels and poking around the world.
>
> I've read that WOW provides a lot of solo possibilities, so I suppose
> that means a duo could get around pretty well. But I'm wondering about
> EQ2, SWG and others too.
>
> Thanks for your thoughts.

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-05-02, wolfing1@yahoo.com <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:

> meandering up in levels and poking around the world.
> I've read that WOW provides a lot of solo possibilities, so I suppose
> that means a duo could get around pretty well. But I'm wondering about
>
> EQ2, SWG and others too.

For SWG:

Pre Combat Upgrade, you didn't need to group in SWG unless you
were going after really big mobs. Most people just got doc buffs
and only grouped for PvP.

Post Combat Upgrade the game did a 180 degree turn and became an
EQ clone only much messier. Essentially almost everyone protested
the Combat Upgrade during testing but since the new Wookie
expansion was being done in the new system SOE just shrugged and
released the game anyway.

This is after they promised to listen to people no less :)

Stay clear of SWG and believe me I used to love the game but it's
one huge mess right now and nothing will save it. It will keep
getting players from the Star Wars crowd but I doubt the servers
will ever get the kind of population they did before.

shadows wrote:

> I started playing on Lightbringer the few couple of days. The
> worse shithead I've met yet is the guy who'll run around a town
> center and spawn duel to everyone hoping to duel. It's
> annoying. Other than that for a server with medium load it
> appears to be very manageable.

I don't know if /ignore blocks duel requests... it probably does, but if
not, there's a mod out there that auto-rejects them.

I've played since day 1 (ish... release-day insanity notwithstanding),
and I've come across the occasional smeghead (about 90% of them
quest-mob killstealers), but with such rarity that it really doesn't
impact on my experience significantly. Of course, being an MMORPG
targetted at casual gamers (and therefore, by and large, MMORPG
newbies), I *have* encountered a reasonable number of people who didn't
really know how to play their class, or who were genuinely unaware of
MMO ettiquette. Most of these people are entirely amenable to
instruction, though... sometimes *after* an instance wipe, to be sure :)

There will always be people who use their Soulstones immediately when
they die, or who think a shadow priest's primary role in a group is DPS,
or rogues who insist on tanking. That's what the /ignore list is for :)

--
Remove the mess to reply.

"Bob Perez" <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> once tried to
test me with:

> I guess you missed the mariner bell right there that gives you the
> right click option to locate another player by name on a different
> server. I always felt that was too hidden a feature, they should make
> that more prominent in the tutorial or something, I bet there are
> others who didn't figure it out either.

Yes we missed that. You're saying there's a bell in the town somewhere?

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

wolfing1@yahoo.com once tried to test me with:

> The problem I've found duoing in World of Warcraft is that most fights
> (except elite mobs) are so fast, that by the time the second person
> finishes casting the mob is already dead. It's too solo-oriented. But
> it works, just not as well for duos as City of Heroes IMHO

If that's truely the case at your level, then just pull multiple mobs. Or
take on harder mobs (up to +5 level).

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"deroville" <facedumbo@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I'm wondering what suggestions people would have about the best MMORPG
>out there for a pair of players to duo together.

Not one mention of DAoC yet in this thread. Is the game that dead?
Regardless, I definitely wouldn't choose it for duo-ing, you need
larger groups to be at all effective.

My wife (priest) and I (mage) are loving WoW, both for duo play and
for guild groups.

--
Greg
phobos78-marslink-net