Sign in with
Your question

Cases that look like regular consumer electronics

Last response: in Components
February 2, 2003 10:04:44 AM

All,
I wish to build a quiet PC for use in the living room. The main stipulation is it should look like a regular piece of consumer electronics. e.g. DVD or CD player.

I have spoken with the guys at Caseheaven but they have nothing to meet my needs.

Does anyone out there know a company in the UK that might be able to help?

regards
Franklyn
February 4, 2003 7:08:04 AM

Wow, the UK? Geeze, didn't know anyone still lived there! LOL, J/K! OK, my suggestion is to look at all the ATX and Micro ATX Desktop style cases at Newegg.com (because they have a larger selection than most sites). Once you find a couple you like, search the UK vendors to find them. You'll see some that are black plastic (to match your VCR) and others that are silver or black aluminum (to match your audio equipement). Oh, excuse me, Aluminium.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>
February 4, 2003 12:00:34 PM

Hi Franklyn. Well, as the only other resident in the UK (See, there are 2 Crash! Maybe more, I think they're hiding.), I suggest ebuyer.com. IMHO, best online site in the UK for prices, good delivery too. Coolermaster have some good cases on there.

As Crash says, newegg.com has an abso-f**king-lutely huge range of goodies on display, so it's a good place to look and get an idea. Alas, they don't ship to the UK, only in the US and Costa Rica (? I think I'm right?) Otherwise, I'd shop there all the time.
Good luck!
Related resources
February 4, 2003 12:03:46 PM

Quote:
...aluminum (to match your audio equipement). Oh, excuse me, Aluminium.

Crash, if I didn't know any better, I'd swear you were taking the piss!
February 4, 2003 3:51:53 PM

I didn't check but it's probably the U.S. and Peurto Rico, a U.S. territory.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>
February 4, 2003 4:03:22 PM

Come on, everybody loves Limey's!

soca,

I have a Compaq EVO case that's a modified ATX (so not a true Micro either). It actually is close to the dimensions of my receiver and CD player, so stacks nicely. It is: 13 inches wide, 4 inches tall, and 14 inches deep. The front has a cd, floppy, usb, audio, and some vents. Hey, I like it! Take a look <A HREF="http://www.webdistrib.com/catalog/product_info.php?prod..." target="_new">French Ebay?</A>. Scroll all the way down, and look in the middle.

<font color=purple><i>Smokey McPot - Your Baby's Daddy</i></font color=purple>
February 4, 2003 4:09:03 PM

Actually dood, my best suggestion is to modify a case yourself. You could easily turn a gutted-out DVD-case into a computer with just a little bit of drilling and cutting here and there, its not all that hard. All you would need to do is make your holes for the mobo and then work from there... it gets a little harder if you want/need any PCI or AGP devices, so its kinda easier to go with a mobo that has integrated graphics, but otherwise simply install some Hard drive mounts, stick the DVD/CDROM where the old DVD rom would have gone, no need for a floppy, and then simply cut a couple of holes for fans and voila!

Woohoo! Broke the 30-celcius barrier with through the loud and innefficient world of air-cooling! Also, never - NEVER - play with gum in one hand and hair in the other... just trust me.
February 18, 2003 11:07:18 PM

I never had a chance to say thank you.

regards
Soca

I've now put the project on hold for a while.
!