advice before i start set up DAW

Last response: in Home Audio
January 13, 2005 8:05:57 AM

hi all,

this probably isnt a real 'pro' group type question (sorry) but im
after advice from anyone who uses a PC for recording purposes and has
experience setting it up.

i'd be interested to know of anything i should bear in mind before i
start with an XP machine which will primarily be used for cubase
recording (ver 2) - audio and midi.

im starting from scatch with a new HDD but the machine will want to be
running as optimally as possible since it is a little long in the tooth
now - Athlon 1.4, 768mb RAM, 120gig seagate barracuda HDD and the
primary input is via a Soundblaster LIVE! drive (oi - dont groan!)

1) would partitioning the disk be of benefit using c: for OS and d: for
projects?

2) i've read somewhere that setting the machine up as a standard PC
instead of ACPI is a wise move - is it?

3) are there any memory settings i can tweak within XP for an advantage

4) i've used the ASIO4all driver previously which seems to work very
well with regard to latency via midi - are there other drivers i'd be
better off with?

5) anything else you know of that might help me in my quest for a
streamlined system.

thank you for any help!

Luke

More about : advice start set daw

Anonymous
January 13, 2005 9:26:58 AM

hi there!

>You're on-topic!

phew... ;-)

so it seems a second disk is a must then! well thats ok. the drive im
replacing is a bit 'iffy' - i was thinking there i could use it as the
c: and record to the (new) d: ... but on second thoughts i'd probably
do better getting a second new drive. you say slave it to the first
Arny, is that better than having it on the second channel as another
primary?

i'll keep it ACPI then to avoid issues - i think it was more for Win2k
from what i recall.

i could up the ram a little to bring it to a gig, the reason i've not
done this so far is i've only got two slots and i'd have a redundent
256 stick.

>About that SB Live! Are said you are into both, but are you more into
>recording or synth centric with your music?

well i've only just gotten in midi (and im loving it!) and so far i've
been a bit heavy on testing VSTs so that may be a bit over the top.
normally i'd have... say 2/3 guitar audio tracks (possibly stereo), at
least one midi synth track (probably lots i'd imagine from here on
in!), an audio bass track, and a midi drummachine track (this might
end up being an audio track actually). i think its safe to say about
50/50.

>Keeping it off the web and away from anything but audio is a good
idea.

well i have a second machine now which is about to take the brunt of
net traffic/gaming/audio and video playback (its higher spec but in
another room but it doesnt have the audio drive or CD/DVD writer) hence
i've opted to keep my older machine but use it pretty much as a
dedicated DAW. hopefully i wont be putting much else on it apart from
backup software.

thanks for getting back so fast!

Luke
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 9:50:54 AM

hi EricK,

currently as Arny mentioned im setup with a DVD and CDRW on the second
channel and was planning putting two drives on the first channel... do
you think is better separating the HDDs?

cheers

Luke
January 13, 2005 10:17:11 AM

interesting Arny,

thanks for the run down. im not overly worried at this stage about
splitting the drives off - i just thought i'd ask since nows the time
to get it right before i start recording then tearing my hair out
because of dropouts and clunky disk noise! i can see what you're saying
about the add-in card... but just to clarify when you talk about the
RAID version, are you saying i could run up to 4 drives (two on each
channel as a single drive) + say the 2 opticals off the motherboard?
sorry - haven't dealt with RAID drives before!

Luke
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 10:34:50 AM

>Yes. You would then run a hard drive on each of the two IDE connectors
on
>the RAID/dual IDE card, and an optical drive (or even 2) on each of
the two
>parallel IDE connectors on the system board.

excellent stuff... my horizons are opening all the time! thanks :)

Luke
January 13, 2005 10:47:57 AM

LuKeNuKuM wrote:

> 1) would partitioning the disk be of benefit using c: for OS and d: for
> projects?

Partitioning the drive is not going to give any real performance
benefits. You really should have a separate drive for the the OS and
audio data.

--
Eric

www.Raw-Tracks.com
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 11:33:50 AM

"EricK" <eric@Raw-Tracks.com> wrote in message
> LuKeNuKuM wrote:
>
>> 1) would partitioning the disk be of benefit using c: for OS and d: for
>> projects?
>
> Partitioning the drive is not going to give any real performance benefits. You
> really should have a separate drive for the the OS and audio data.

And putting the audio drive on a separate IDE channel isn't a bad idea, either.

John LeBlanc
Houston, TX
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 11:43:39 AM

"LuKeNuKuM" <lukenukum@gmail.com> wrote in message

> this probably isnt a real 'pro' group type question (sorry) but im
> after advice from anyone who uses a PC for recording purposes and has
> experience setting it up.

You're on-topic!

> i'd be interested to know of anything i should bear in mind before i
> start with an XP machine which will primarily be used for cubase
> recording (ver 2) - audio and midi.

> im starting from scatch with a new HDD but the machine will want to be
> running as optimally as possible since it is a little long in the
> tooth now - Athlon 1.4, 768mb RAM, 120gig seagate barracuda HDD and
> the primary input is via a Soundblaster LIVE! drive (oi - dont groan!)
>
> 1) would partitioning the disk be of benefit using c: for OS and d:
> for projects?

Not nearly as helpful as simply getting a second hard drive and slaving it
to the first.

> 2)I've read somewhere that setting the machine up as a standard PC
> instead of ACPI is a wise move - is it?

I have two smooth-running XP DAWs that are running ACPI mode. I understand
why people want to do non-ACPI and it isn't a snake oil technology, but its
not an absolute requirement.

> 3) are there any memory settings i can tweak within XP for an advantage

The biggest tweak is having a lot of RAM. Depending on your final goals for
the system, you are probably there. RAM is cheap and so are hard drives.

> 4) i've used the ASIO4all driver previously which seems to work very
> well with regard to latency via midi - are there other drivers i'd be
> better off with?

About that SB Live! Are said you are into both, but are you more into
recording or synth centric with your music?

BTW, the current SBLive! 5.1 is a better-sounding card than the early ones,
but something from M-Audio would be better if your goal is good quality
recording.

> 5) anything else you know of that might help me in my quest for a
> streamlined system.

Keeping it off the web and away from anything but audio is a good idea.
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 12:33:20 PM

> hi there!
>
>> You're on-topic!

> phew... ;-)

> so it seems a second disk is a must then! well thats ok

It's a darn good idea.

>. the drive im replacing is a bit 'iffy' - i was thinking there i could
>use it as the
> c: and record to the (new) d: ... but on second thoughts i'd probably
> do better getting a second new drive.

I see a lot of iffy drives these days. They read and write data, but at
substandard speeds and often haltingly. Just what you need for audio -
NOT!!!

>you say slave it to the first Arny, is that better than having it on the
>second channel as another primary?

No, but the second IDE channel is usually tied up with a reader and a burner
or at least one of them.

> i'll keep it ACPI then to avoid issues - i think it was more for Win2k
> from what i recall.

Don't get me wrong, ACPI does little or no good on a desktop machine being
used for real-time processing (e.g. audio). You can get rid of it on the fly
most times, but putting it back takes a re-install, probably from scratch.

> i could up the ram a little to bring it to a gig, the reason i've not
> done this so far is i've only got two slots and i'd have a redundent
> 256 stick.

There ain't that much practical difference between 756 and 1024.

> thanks for getting back so fast!

Enjoy!
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 1:01:12 PM

> hi EricK,
>
> currently as Arny mentioned im setup with a DVD and CDRW on the second
> channel and was planning putting two drives on the first channel... do
> you think is better separating the HDDs?

If I had the choice of putting a hard drive and an optical drive on each
channel, versus putting the hard drives on one channel and the optical
drives on the other, I'd probably go with like drives on the same channel.

The reason is that since ATA33 and later IDE standards became the rule,
putting two hard drives on the same IDE channel has not created much in the
way of bottlenecks. The interfaces seem to always be far faster than the
mechanical data transfer aspects of the drives.

OTOH, optical drives can tend to be a balky lot. It probably shouldn't
happen, but I've seen a number of cases where a slightly balky optical drive
ends up tying up the entire IDE channel for seconds and fractions of a
minute at a time. If that channel also has the boot hard drive on it, its
really not a pretty picture.

If you really want to separate the drives out, get a PCI IDE interface card.
I've had good luck using cheap cards with the Silicon Image chipset on it.
The RAID versions of that card seeem to fall back into dual IDE mode very
nicely. That gives you unique IDE interfaces for two drives, and space for
up to 4.

You may find that these cheap PCI IDE cards work do not work well with
optical drives. Or, they may work fine.

I tend to put as many hard drives including the boot drive on the PCI IDE
card, and leave the motherboard parallel IDE channels open for optical
drives. You can have 3 low-speed IDE drives if you have a reader, a burner
and a zip drive, for example. They seem to work best on the motherboard. You
will probably have to slightly reconfigure the motherboard bios to boot the
add-on PCI IDE card.
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 1:26:32 PM

> but just to clarify when you talk
> about the RAID version, are you saying i could run up to 4 drives
> (two on each channel as a single drive) + say the 2 opticals off the
> motherboard?

Yes. You would then run a hard drive on each of the two IDE connectors on
the RAID/dual IDE card, and an optical drive (or even 2) on each of the two
parallel IDE connectors on the system board.
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 2:22:46 PM

Luke,

> 1) would partitioning the disk be of benefit <

For the complete story see the three-part series from Keyboard magazine, 5th
in the list on my Articles page:

www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html

--Ethan
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 2:48:49 PM

On 13 Jan 2005 05:05:57 -0800, "LuKeNuKuM" <lukenukum@gmail.com>
wrote:

>hi all,
>
>this probably isnt a real 'pro' group type question (sorry) but im
>after advice from anyone who uses a PC for recording purposes and has
>experience setting it up.
>
>i'd be interested to know of anything i should bear in mind before i
>start with an XP machine which will primarily be used for cubase
>recording (ver 2) - audio and midi.
>
>im starting from scatch with a new HDD but the machine will want to be
>running as optimally as possible since it is a little long in the tooth
>now - Athlon 1.4, 768mb RAM, 120gig seagate barracuda HDD and the
>primary input is via a Soundblaster LIVE! drive (oi - dont groan!)
>
>1) would partitioning the disk be of benefit using c: for OS and d: for
>projects?

What you really need to do is buy another, smaller hard drive and keep
you operating system and all your programs on this disk. You should
dedicate your second 120gig harddrive only to audio files. I have my
own system set up with a 20gig hd for the OS and programs, and a 80gig
drive for the audio. On the 20gig drive, I have it partitioned as C
and D and the audio drive is E. My reasoning for this is that if the
OS crashes I can keep a relatively small drive image backup on the D
partition and restore it and be back up running quickly,without having
to reinstall all of the programs, etc. This has worked very well for
me. Also keep your computer for a DAW only, no internet. That keeps
problems to a minimum and allows you to get rid of Internet Explorer
and other services that will only eat up your memory resources.

>2) i've read somewhere that setting the machine up as a standard PC
>instead of ACPI is a wise move - is it?

With XP I don't think this is so important, but perhaps if your
motherboard is an older one you should do it.

>3) are there any memory settings i can tweak within XP for an advantage

There is lots of info on the net about tweaking XP for audio.

Al
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 4:27:53 PM

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 08:43:39 -0500, "Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com>
wrote:

>Not nearly as helpful as simply getting a second hard drive and slaving it
>to the first.

Can't you get slightly better performance by making both HDs master
disks on their respective channels?

Al
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 5:42:50 PM

thanks all for the advice, its really helped and cleared my thoughts.
also thanks for useful the links... and Ethan, wow, extensive
article(s)!

i've saved myself buying another HDD, since i remembered i pulled a
brand new 10gig disk out of an xbox which has never been used, so that
will be the c: and i'll set the second new 'un to d: for the audio.

im gonna try an steer clear from any other apps on this machine... but
living without a browser.... urghhhh! i will TRY... hey it might mean i
devote more to music instead of msn'in whenever a message comes in ;-)
here goes nuthin' wish me luck!

cheers...

Luke
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 6:41:54 PM

In article <1105621557.092227.274950@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> lukenukum@gmail.com writes:

> i'd be interested to know of anything i should bear in mind before i
> start with an XP machine which will primarily be used for cubase
> recording (ver 2) - audio and midi.

Forget "primarily" and make it "exclusively." Use another computer for
e-mail, writing letters to Grandma, keeping your books, looking at
porn web sites, and even reading rec.audio.pro.

> im starting from scatch with a new HDD but the machine will want to be
> running as optimally as possible since it is a little long in the tooth
> now - Athlon 1.4, 768mb RAM, 120gig seagate barracuda HDD and the
> primary input is via a Soundblaster LIVE! drive (oi - dont groan!)

Except for the SoundBlaster, that's a whole heap of a lot more
powerful than what I'm using. I use a 266 MHz Pentium II with 128 MB
RAM and a 20 GB Maxtor. But then I use it only for 2-track recording
at 44.1 kHz.

> 1) would partitioning the disk be of benefit using c: for OS and d: for
> projects?

Some people thinks so. Nobody seems to think that it hurts.

> 2) i've read somewhere that setting the machine up as a standard PC
> instead of ACPI is a wise move - is it?

I've read the same thing, though I don't know what it means or how to
do it. If you do, then do it.

> 3) are there any memory settings i can tweak within XP for an advantage

There are some ways of optimizing the amount of virtual memory but
most of those come from the pre-XP days. I think that most people
running XP just let Windows handle it.

Drivers are whatever works best on your system. Try them all, or try
your patience.

January 13, 2005 8:36:33 PM

"play on" <playonAT@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 08:43:39 -0500, "Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Not nearly as helpful as simply getting a second hard drive and
>> slaving it to the first.
>
> Can't you get slightly better performance by making both HDs master
> disks on their respective channels?

Sometimes.
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 8:42:17 PM

LuKeNuKuM wrote:
> im gonna try an steer clear from any other apps on this machine...
but
> living without a browser.... urghhhh! i will TRY... hey it might mean
> devote more to music instead of msn'in whenever a message comes in
;-)
> here goes nuthin' wish me luck!
>
> cheers...
>
> Luke

It's so much just the browser, but everything else
that goes with it for surfing/chating/mailing like the
AntiVirus softwear, AOL/MSN (etc) handler, AIM IRC or
other chat hookup, or anything that stays running
constantly by being started at bootup.
The only thing I like to see in the SysTray when
running audio apps is the soundcard.
Anything else not related to audio is removed
from the boot/startup sequence.
IF you absolutely need to use the machine to get online
start the firewall first manually, then start the AV,
and connect. But you should really, REALLY be using a
separate machine for all that.
For AV to be effective it needs to be able to control
the machine when needed to prevent virus-like activity.
That's not a good thing when recording !
Keep control of your PC ;-]

good luck
rd
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 4:25:45 AM

hi Rd,

yep im aware im pretty use to killing off most of the systray apps
whilst beginning a recording session from my old setup.

being more of a geek than anything else my second box is really easy to
get to since i have a 15m KVM cable running through the attic so its
only a case of switchin' to the other machine get to all my internet
apps. and luckily i go out through a router with a built in firewall so
thats another app i've not got to have running.

i *do* want to have the machine on the network though since my other
box doesn't have a CD/DVD writer and i can then connect to the
fileserver to copy bits n bobs over - this shouldnt be too much of a
problem i'd have thought?

cheers

Luke
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 6:51:54 AM

LuKeNuKuM wrote:
> hi Rd,
>
> yep im aware im pretty use to killing off most of the systray apps
> whilst beginning a recording session from my old setup.
>
> being more of a geek than anything else my second box is really easy
> get to since i have a 15m KVM cable running through the attic so its
> only a case of switchin' to the other machine get to all my internet
> apps. and luckily i go out through a router with a built in firewall
so
> thats another app i've not got to have running.

Great - sounds like you've got it covered.
(I should have said "it's _not_ just the browser..."
but you got my point)
There are, of course, other processes that get started up
at boot that don't show up in the tray. And these can be
optimized for yor usage with the various 'StartUp Mgr'
type utils and MSConfig (or whatever your version of Win
calls it). Like some of the other old-timers I'm still
running 98SE for various reasons.

> i *do* want to have the machine on the network though since my other
> box doesn't have a CD/DVD writer and i can then connect to the
> fileserver to copy bits n bobs over - this shouldnt be too much of a
> problem i'd have thought?

Should be OK. You've got a good head start on things.

> cheers
>
> Luke

good luck
rd
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 8:39:22 AM

hi Laurence,

ahaaaaa! a name i recognise from alt.4-track :)

yes, i have a DVD writer in there, but dont do much DVD writing atm...
it does CDs too and im just used to calling it CD writer. will be handy
for backing up projects.

thanks for the point about the network card - good thinkin'
cheers

Luke
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 8:42:19 AM

hi Rd,

thanks... im starting to become aware of all these extra nasties that
might be runningand i could do without, Geoff's link:
http://www.musicxp.net seems a good place to start.

i've got the drives in now and once i get XP installed i'll go through
the check list and hopefully have a nice clean system.

cheers

Luke
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 9:04:56 AM

hi Laurence,

>Your 120GB drive is fairly new, and quite fast enough for audio.
>A separate partition for audio files will keep things tidy.

well as it happens i've gone for it now anyhow and have got the two
drives plugged up following on from the general consensus
yesterterday... but interesting points about the memory usage.

this is where im at... if anyone's interested:

channel 0 primary = seagate barracuda 10gig
channel 0 secondary = seagate barracuda 120gig
channel 1 primary = pioneer 106 DVD/CD Writer
channel 1 secondary = teac 16x CD Writer

had a bit of an issue with the opticals, but that was due to a lead
being old - so replaced and all are regonised a-ok. will being XP
install 2nite - and keep you posted!

cheers

Luke
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 9:09:25 AM

could be a handy app Don... im gonna try it all manually at first,
since im almost sure im only now goin to be using the machine just for
audio...

but still useful 4 me - im a gamer in my other life! hahahaaaa!
cheers,

Luke
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 11:32:42 AM

http://www.musicxp.net

mailto:p CDAW-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

> im starting from scatch with a new HDD but the machine will want to be
> running as optimally as possible since it is a little long in the tooth
> now - Athlon 1.4, 768mb RAM, 120gig seagate barracuda HDD and the
> primary input is via a Soundblaster LIVE! drive (oi - dont groan!)
>
> 1) would partitioning the disk be of benefit using c: for OS and d: for
> projects?

No. Audio data is best on a separate physical drive. Partitioning you root
drive to keep OS and Apps separate is a practice done by some fastidious
tyupes, but unnecessary and frought with complications.

> 2) i've read somewhere that setting the machine up as a standard PC
> instead of ACPI is a wise move - is it?

Used to be, but the last one I did as ACPI had no problems.

> 3) are there any memory settings i can tweak within XP for an advantage
Yes, MusicXP.net

> 4) i've used the ASIO4all driver previously which seems to work very
> well with regard to latency via midi - are there other drivers i'd be
> better off with?

No

> 5) anything else you know of that might help me in my quest for a
> streamlined system.

Probably !

;-)

geoff
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 11:35:37 AM

"LuKeNuKuM" <lukenukum@gmail.com> wrote in message
> hi EricK,
>
> currently as Arny mentioned im setup with a DVD and CDRW on the second
> channel and was planning putting two drives on the first channel... do
> you think is better separating the HDDs?

Yes, separate channels for the HDDs.

Put the CD/DVD on the primary channel. Those aren't so picky these days,
now that buffer memory is cheaper, CPUs are faster, and there is BURN-Proof
to prevent writes from going pear-shaped.

geoff
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 3:49:49 PM

"play on" <playonAT@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 08:43:39 -0500, "Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Not nearly as helpful as simply getting a second hard drive and slaving it
>>to the first.
>
> Can't you get slightly better performance by making both HDs master
> disks on their respective channels?

Separate channels is the important thing. So it's not sharing the one
cable/chip .

geoff
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 4:29:03 PM

On 14 Jan 2005 01:25:45 -0800, "LuKeNuKuM" <lukenukum@gmail.com>
wrote:

>i *do* want to have the machine on the network though since my other
>box doesn't have a CD/DVD writer and i can then connect to the
>fileserver to copy bits n bobs over - this shouldnt be too much of a
>problem i'd have thought?

If you get audio glitches, try disabling the network card during audio
sessions. It's easily turned off and on.

Why not put a DVD writer in this machine? They're dirt cheap now.

January 14, 2005 4:36:17 PM

On 13 Jan 2005 14:42:50 -0800, "LuKeNuKuM" <lukenukum@gmail.com>
wrote:

>im gonna try an steer clear from any other apps on this machine... but
>living without a browser.... urghhhh! i will TRY... hey it might mean i
>devote more to music instead of msn'in whenever a message comes in ;-)
>here goes nuthin' wish me luck!

No need really. As long as you're in control of the other apps you
install and don't run them behind your music program.

Your 120GB drive is fairly new, and quite fast enough for audio. A
separate partition for audio files will keep things tidy.

I wouldn't worry too much about separate physical drives for os and
program files. While your audio program is running, the system won't
need to access program code from disk. And if Windows DOES decide to
unload the odd DLL or re-arrange what code is in kernel memory, it's
going to do it when the program is loaded, not continually. For
practical purposes, while running a DAW program the only disk access
is for audio data.

if you intend to use software synthesisers that play sample data from
disk (Halion, The Piano,Gigasampler etc.) these WILL need disk access
simultaneously with the audio data. A separate hard drive for the
sample files is a good idea. But LOTS of RAM is an even better idea
:-)

January 14, 2005 5:15:43 PM

On 14 Jan 2005 06:09:25 -0800, "LuKeNuKuM" <lukenukum@gmail.com>
wrote:

>could be a handy app Don... im gonna try it all manually at first,
>since im almost sure im only now goin to be using the machine just for
>audio...
>
>but still useful 4 me - im a gamer in my other life! hahahaaaa!
>cheers,
>
>Luke

Actually the URL I gave is a poor choice - you have to pay. Google for
it and you will find it on a few free sites.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 12:25:12 PM

> hi Laurence,
>
> ahaaaaa! a name i recognise from alt.4-track :)
>
> yes, i have a DVD writer in there, but dont do much DVD writing atm...
> it does CDs too and im just used to calling it CD writer. will be handy
> for backing up projects.
>
> thanks for the point about the network card - good thinkin'
> cheers

DVD-ROM is handy for backing up projects.

geoff
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 12:25:13 PM

"Geoff Wood" <geoff@nospam-paf.co.nz> wrote in message

> "LuKeNuKuM" <lukenukum@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > hi Laurence,
> >
> > ahaaaaa! a name i recognise from alt.4-track :)
> >
> > yes, i have a DVD writer in there, but dont do much DVD writing atm...
> > it does CDs too and im just used to calling it CD writer. will be handy
> > for backing up projects.
> >
> > thanks for the point about the network card - good thinkin'
> > cheers
>

> DVD-ROM is handy for backing up projects.

Not really. DVDR and DVDRW are much better. ;)

Glenn D.
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 12:25:14 PM

"Glenn Dowdy" <glenn.no.dowdy@hpspam.com> wrote in message
> "Geoff Wood" <geoff@nospam-paf.co.nz> wrote in message
>>
>> "LuKeNuKuM" <lukenukum@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> hi Laurence,
>>>
>>> ahaaaaa! a name i recognise from alt.4-track :)
>>>
>>> yes, i have a DVD writer in there, but dont do much DVD writing
>>> atm... it does CDs too and im just used to calling it CD writer.
>>> will be handy for backing up projects.
>>>
>>> thanks for the point about the network card - good thinkin'
>>> cheers
>>

>> DVD-ROM is handy for backing up projects.

> Not really. DVDR and DVDRW are much better. ;)

His concept was good but your execution is better, ;-)

Actually, he was talking about the data format, and you are talking about
the kind of media. IOW you are agreeing but stating it differently.

Agreed that DVD-ROMs format discs are written on DVD-R or DVD-RW media make
good backups of typical multitrack projects.
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 12:25:15 PM

> "Glenn Dowdy" <glenn.no.dowdy@hpspam.com> wrote in message
> > "Geoff Wood" <geoff@nospam-paf.co.nz> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "LuKeNuKuM" <lukenukum@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> DVD-ROM is handy for backing up projects.
>
> > Not really. DVDR and DVDRW are much better. ;)
>
> His concept was good but your execution is better, ;-)
>
> Actually, he was talking about the data format, and you are talking about
> the kind of media. IOW you are agreeing but stating it differently.
>
> Agreed that DVD-ROMs format discs are written on DVD-R or DVD-RW media
make
> good backups of typical multitrack projects.

It's my biz, so I were a bit pedantic.

Glenn d.
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 12:28:42 PM

> hi Laurence,
>
>>Your 120GB drive is fairly new, and quite fast enough for audio.
>>A separate partition for audio files will keep things tidy.
>
> well as it happens i've gone for it now anyhow and have got the two
> drives plugged up following on from the general consensus
> yesterterday... but interesting points about the memory usage.
>
> this is where im at... if anyone's interested:
>
> channel 0 primary = seagate barracuda 10gig
> channel 0 secondary = seagate barracuda 120gig
> channel 1 primary = pioneer 106 DVD/CD Writer
> channel 1 secondary = teac 16x CD Writer

NO !!! Put the 120G as primary drive on channel 2. C: drive can be
accessed while data is being stream to your data drive - you want to avoid
any such 'hits' on the common controller/cable.

Cable sharing with CD/DVD writers used to be an issue years ago, but is no
longer.

geoff
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 5:15:53 PM

"Glenn Dowdy" <glenn.no.dowdy@hpspam.com> wrote in message

> "Geoff Wood" <geoff@nospam-paf.co.nz> wrote in message
>>
>> "LuKeNuKuM" <lukenukum@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > hi Laurence,
>> >
>> > ahaaaaa! a name i recognise from alt.4-track :)
>> >
>> > yes, i have a DVD writer in there, but dont do much DVD writing atm...
>> > it does CDs too and im just used to calling it CD writer. will be handy
>> > for backing up projects.
>> >
>> > thanks for the point about the network card - good thinkin'
>> > cheers
>>

>> DVD-ROM is handy for backing up projects.
>>
> Not really. DVDR and DVDRW are much better. ;)

DVD-ROM is a data format, DVD+/-R/RW whatever are media types. I meant
DVD-(whatever media)-ROM, as in project data.

If you do that on CD-Rs, it's a bit onerous (changing media and organising)
nd one tends to neglect the task !

geoff
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 5:15:54 PM

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 14:15:53 +1300, "Geoff Wood"
<geoff@nospam-paf.co.nz> wrote:

>>> DVD-ROM is handy for backing up projects.
>>>
>> Not really. DVDR and DVDRW are much better. ;)
>
>DVD-ROM is a data format, DVD+/-R/RW whatever are media types. I meant
>DVD-(whatever media)-ROM, as in project data.

Perhaps he's thinking of DVD-RAM

January 15, 2005 5:16:38 PM

"Glenn Dowdy" <glenn.no.dowdy@hpspam.com> wrote in message >>
> It's my biz, so I were a bit pedantic.
>
> Glenn d.

If it's your biz, then you need to be concise !

;-)

geoff
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 6:20:38 AM

hi all,

just to let you know, i got everything setup a-ok over the weekend. had
some interesting problems with a 'locked' xbox HDD, but sorted that.

i used pretty much every tweak from www.musicxp.net and i gotta say -
this 1.4AMD seems to be running faster than the other 2.4 i have! but
it only has cubase and some VSTs on.

its a joy to record and not have to redo takes coz of a crackle or pop
appearing! i did have a slight problem for a while with the ASIO4all
driver which was playing any audio track back with intermittent
noise... but upping the buffer fixed it.

i've started a project and will post the ouput, hopefully by the end of
the week if you're interested.
thanks again for all the assistance - really was useful.

LuKe
!