zacharus

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
I recently upgraded my kr7a-133 motherboard from 512mb pc2100 ram to 1gig. However when I did this, I started getting blue screen errors when running 3d games that looked like some type of memory dump in windows xp. I would have to reboot to clear it. Only happens with the new memory stick is in, so I called First choice memory and they said that I should exchange the stick for a stick of the manufacturer of the kind I already have.

Now looking at the brand on the stick I have always had no problem with, the only identification of the manufacturer is sm-com. Is this a valid manufacturer or does it mean something else.

One other thing, I only seem to have problems when I'm running games. Running normal desktop applications has caused no problems and my windows xp system does show 1 gig of memory. could it have something to do with my video card (geforce3 ti500)? Sounds like bad or incompatable memory to me but still worried.

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
why don't u try to run <A HREF="http://www.memtest86.com" target="_new">Mem-Test 86</A> ... very good program, will tell you if your memory is corrupt. One thing though, generic memory is cheap and very unreliable, especially when you have one module already, then in the future buy another generic one and install it. It leads to problems.

Good Luck

Rob

<b><font color=red>Nothin like a Pentium II furiously churning out a blistering 0.8 FPS on 3D Mark 2001!!!</font color=red></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
When you have memory that's already "close to the edge" of stability with one module, using two can put it over the edge. The more modules you use, the more likely you are to see that problem, which usually only occurs with cheap modules or problematic boards.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

vegandago

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002
get some corsair and you won't need posts like this.

"There is no dark or light side, only power and those too weak to seek it."

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Are there any budget memory brands that you have found work good? Corsair is good but if you are building a budget PC you are willing to trade performance for $. But you don't want to trade reliability.

Kingston
Micron
Kingmax
etc.

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you don't need the fastest stuff you can always get reliability with Crucial.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>