Morrowind done in 14 minutes.

On Mon, 02 May 2005 21:57:00 +0100, Jamie_Manic <yeahbutno@slag.com> wrote:

>Mils Michael wrote:
>> http://speeddemosarchive.com/Morrowind.html
>>
>> Holy cow ?
>>
>> - Moa Dragon
>>

>I can never be bothered watching these ususally but I know I'll never
>get round to finishing Morrowind myself so I'll give this one a go!

Also interesting to note that many people today, myself included, complain
about games nowadays being shorter than they used to be. However looking at
some of the time demos on that site I see that the older games can be done in
a matter of minutes and yet Half Life 2 took a little over 2.25 hours. Maybe
we are wrong after all.....

Who knew 7000 Intelligence points would go so far? That potion of
speed is hilarious -woah, woah!

--
Best Regards, mattchu
np: [ ]

Andrew

On Tue, 03 May 2005 00:04:53 GMT, Memnoch
<memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Also interesting to note that many people today, myself included, complain
>about games nowadays being shorter than they used to be. However looking at
>some of the time demos on that site I see that the older games can be done in
>a matter of minutes and yet Half Life 2 took a little over 2.25 hours. Maybe
>we are wrong after all.....

Most of that 2.25 hours is staring at the loading screens probably ;-)

It is a great game, but I don't think its linear nature lends itself
to being able to blitz it.

Quoth The Raven "Mils Michael"<mickmils@hotmail.com> in
d562dv$2lm$1@news.tiscali.fr
> http://speeddemosarchive.com/Morrowind.html
>
> Holy cow ?
>
> - Moa Dragon

snort, that's insane

--
We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience.
- George Bernard Shaw

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me

Memnoch wrote:
> On Mon, 02 May 2005 21:57:00 +0100, Jamie_Manic <yeahbutno@slag.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Mils Michael wrote:
>>> http://speeddemosarchive.com/Morrowind.html
>>>
>>> Holy cow ?
>>>
>>> - Moa Dragon
>>>

>> I can never be bothered watching these ususally but I know I'll never
>> get round to finishing Morrowind myself so I'll give this one a go!
>
> Also interesting to note that many people today, myself included,
> complain about games nowadays being shorter than they used to be.
> However looking at some of the time demos on that site I see that the
> older games can be done in a matter of minutes and yet Half Life 2
> took a little over 2.25 hours. Maybe we are wrong after all.....

Is that 2.25 hours including or not including the load times? :p

.... there came a great "Dirty Redpool"
<dirtredpooll@something.something> flying, and he bore tidings beyond
hope, crying:

>Is that 2.25 hours including or not including the load times? :p

2.25 is installation and updates ... no loading time included!

--
"This is an extremely primitive and paranoid culture."
(James T. Kirk on 20th century America, Star Trek IV)

There's one of a guy beating Half-Life 1 in around an hour. Got it on my
PC, but have no idea where I downloaded it from.

--
TheFeniX:: Posted from Tactical Gamer - http://www.TacticalGamer.com ::

Toby

On 2005-05-03, TheFeniX <TheFeniX.1ogjwa@no-mx.tacticalgamer.com> wrote:

> There's one of a guy beating Half-Life 1 in around an hour. Got it on my
> PC, but have no idea where I downloaded it from.

My fave is still QDQWAV, Quake 1 in around 12 minutes.

--
Toby.
field to circumvent my email filters.

On 3 May 2005 00:11:06 -0700, "mattchu" <wintlerpark@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Who knew 7000 Intelligence points would go so far? That potion of
>speed is hilarious -woah, woah!

If you allow one stat to sky-rocket to well beyond normal maximums, you
shouldn't be suprised.

But 14 minutes to complete the main plot is still suprisingly impressive.

Toby wrote:
> On 2005-05-03, TheFeniX <TheFeniX.1ogjwa@no-mx.tacticalgamer.com> wrote:
>>
>> There's one of a guy beating Half-Life 1 in around an hour. Got it on my
>> PC, but have no idea where I downloaded it from.
>
> My fave is still QDQWAV, Quake 1 in around 12 minutes.

I still remember the first time I watched that... it was truly scary,
but very impressive :)

--
Remove the mess to reply.

Raymond Martineau in <qqbg71takinrahfupi4kqjeufpgr02uen8@4ax.com>:

> But 14 minutes to complete the main plot is still suprisingly impressive.

Well, I guess it would be hard to get even *started* in that time,
considering that the game doesn't give you the main quest until you are
level 3 (Caius's script). <g>

A while back on the Bethesda boards we had quite a bit of fun with the
'Morrowind Done Quick' thingy. There were two important differences,
though: first, the plot had to be actually completed (doh). Second,
instead of using 'time played' as a measure we used the in-game
time/calendar. For one thing, this allowed a more laid-back, leisurely
playing style as opposed to the split-second precision twitching if you
measure 'time played' like in dexterity-based games. For another, it
changes the outlook on a few things; for example, buying training takes
only a few seconds 'time played' but six hours of in-game time. Same
for waiting/resting or travel via siltstrider, gondola or boat.

With regard to in-game time, taking the siltstrider from Seyda Neen to
Balmora is actually the slowest of all possible options. The fastest is
buying a scroll of Almsivi and using it after going a bit in the
direction of Balmora (so as not to end up in Vivec instead), picking
herbs/mushrooms for Ajira along the way. By the same token, buying
training in order to get to level 3 will cost several days/weeks, and
waiting for a merchant to have new cash wired overnight is also rather
expensive.

There are some midnight waits in the critical path of the Morrowind
main quest (even more in Tribunal) and there are two institutions that
you have to visit during opening hours (Holamayan monastery, Cavern of
the Incarnate). This adds interesting twists to scheduling because on
one hand you may be able to accomplish something useful 'for free' in
the latency shadow of a mandatory wait, but on the other hand it can
cost you up to a day if you miss a deadline.

My completion times:
Morrowind MQ 10 a.m. on day 4 (19 Last Seed)
Tribunal MQ 7 a.m. on day 5 (20 Last Seed)
Tribunal was a fresh run out of Seyda Neen, not a continuation of the
Morrowind campaign. These were more or less trial runs; I had a rough
plan but played them mostly by the ear, to get a feel for such runs and
to gather info on some details.

A while back Bethesda deleted the forums (again) and so the threads are
gone, but I still have a draft of my MW campaign write-up. I could post
it if there's interest.