V551 - 3GP & other questions

Tags:
  • Motorola
Last response: in Brands
August 19, 2005 2:41:25 PM

(1) I use DataPilot & a USB cable to do laptop transfers of pictures,
ringtones, etc. from/to V551 & other Motorola cell phones. I downloaded a
couple video clips, that arrived as type 3GP files. I can view them with
Real Player, but want to email them to friends, so need to convert them to a
file type that Windows Media Player can play. And edit them - they are
sometimes too long or have inappropriate sections. Any free or inexpensive
programs available, that you have experience with?
(2) I just moved from a V400 to a V551 - an almost identical phone, with the
same problem. It changes from "loud" to silent, or vibrate, or other ring
methods, by itself, because the outside controls are so easy to bump. So
then I miss calls. Is there a practical solution - maybe the outside
controls can be turned off?
(3) I've seen comments about using this phone as a wireless means to access
the internet. Must Cingular be my ISP to do this? I doubt I can dial up my
ATT WorldNet account. How can this work?

More about : v551 3gp questions

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 12:10:11 AM

1) There are quite a few, from quicktime pro to mpegable to edit parts out
and make your own. As for 3gp to wmv or avi, google will be your best
friend
2)set your ringstyle with a lock, under security settings. That way you
can't change them without entering your password.
3) People use bt to get their pocketpc online etc, I doubt Cingular will let
you use it as a dialup modem though.
Before you start playing with the net, you may want to see Cingulars options
and rates on their website.
You may also here alot about the V551 and the net because it has Edge, which
is faster then gprs.
I don't mean to be rude really, but a www.google.ca search or even a visit
to howardforums, which would have turned up in your google search, would
have answered each and every Q you asked.

"P Hoberg" <nospamphobergnospam@att.net> wrote in message
[...]
August 20, 2005 5:41:47 AM

Thanks, CJD. See my in-line comments, below:

"CJD" <newsgroupmail@rogers.com> wrote in message
news:o MGdnf_lC5hB6ZveRVn-sg@rogers.com...

====================================
1) There are quite a few, from QuickTime pro to mpegable to edit parts out
and make your own. As for 3gp to wmv or avi, google will be your best
friend

I Googled like crazy - found some stuff - downloaded "Xilisoft 3GP Video
Converter", that seemed to show up most - doesn't work! Bummer. I'll
probably buy from QuickTime - a company with credibility.
====================================
2)set your ringstyle with a lock, under security settings. That way you
can't change them without entering your password.

I can't find how to just lock the ringstyle. I looked thru the Cingular
V551 instructions at
http://tutorials.cingular.com/tutorial/web_tutorials/tu... .
The instruction book that came with the phone is less helpful. Any
suggestions?
====================================
3) People use bt to get their pocketpc online etc, I doubt Cingular will let
you use it as a dialup modem though. Before you start playing with the net,
you may want to see Cingular's options and rates on their website. You may
also hear alot about the V551 and the net because it has Edge, which is
faster then gprs.

I'd like to know more about what "Edge" is.
====================================
I don't mean to be rude really, but a www.google.ca search or even a visit
to howardforums, which would have turned up in your google search, would
have answered each and every Q you asked.

As I said above, I Googled a lot.
====================================

> "P Hoberg" <nospamphobergnospam@att.net> wrote in message
> (1) I use DataPilot & a USB cable to do laptop transfers of pictures,
> ringtones, etc. from/to V551 & other Motorola cell phones. I downloaded a
> couple video clips, that arrived as type 3GP files. I can view them with
> Real Player, but want to email them to friends, so need to convert them to
> file type that Windows Media Player can play. And edit them - they are
> sometimes too long or have inappropriate sections. Any free or
> inexpensive
> programs available, that you have experience with?
> (2) I just moved from a V400 to a V551 - an almost identical phone, with
> the
> same problem. It changes from "loud" to silent, or vibrate, or other ring
> methods, by itself, because the outside controls are so easy to bump. So
> then I miss calls. Is there a practical solution - maybe the outside
> controls can be turned off?
> (3) I've seen comments about using this phone as a wireless means to
> access
> the internet. Must Cingular be my ISP to do this? I doubt I can dial up
> my
> ATT WorldNet account. How can this work?

August 20, 2005 4:39:32 PM

To get to the lock app section, all you should need to do is....
Menu>Settings>Security>Lock Application>enter password>Scroll down to
ringstyles and switch to locked. I also do this for my web browser to
prevent accidentally turning it on, or to prevent it from being used if I
should lose my cell and not realize it for a bit.
> [...]

> file type that Windows Media Player can play. And edit them - they are
> sometimes too long or have inappropriate sections. Any free or
> inexpensive
> programs available, that you have experience with?
> (2) I just moved from a V400 to a V551 - an almost identical phone, with
> the
> same problem. It changes from "loud" to silent, or vibrate, or other ring
> methods, by itself, because the outside controls are so easy to bump. So
> then I miss calls. Is there a practical solution - maybe the outside
> controls can be turned off?
> (3) I've seen comments about using this phone as a wireless means to
> access
> the internet. Must Cingular be my ISP to do this? I doubt I can dial up
> my
> ATT WorldNet account. How can this work?

August 21, 2005 2:45:37 AM

P Hoberg <nospamphobergnospam@att.net> wrote:

>> 2)set your ringstyle with a lock, under security settings. That way you
>> can't change them without entering your password.

> I can't find how to just lock the ringstyle. I looked thru the Cingular
> V551 instructions at

Menu>Settings>Security>Lock Application>1234>scroll down two pages (22
lines) to "-Audio", a few lines below "AIM" (which makes it look like
"-Audio" is a subset of "AIM"), Change, Locked, END.

After you do this, when you pull your phone out of your pocket, it will say
"Enter unlock code", because you have inadvertently tried to change the
audio style. "cancel" and carry on with use of the phone.

---
August 21, 2005 2:45:38 AM

Thank you, Clarence. It worked. How did you know "1234"? That had me
stopped in CJD's instructions. Does the same lock code work for everything?
So if I lock the phone, and change it from 1234 to another set of 4 numbers,
even this one (Audio) will see that change? Paul

<dold@XReXXV551X.usenet.us.com> wrote in message
news:D e8bqh$dnl$4@blue.rahul.net...
>P Hoberg <nospamphobergnospam@att.net> wrote:
>
>>> 2)set your ringstyle with a lock, under security settings. That way you
>>> can't change them without entering your password.
>
>> I can't find how to just lock the ringstyle. I looked thru the Cingular
>> V551 instructions at
>
> Menu>Settings>Security>Lock Application>1234>scroll down two pages (22
> lines) to "-Audio", a few lines below "AIM" (which makes it look like
> "-Audio" is a subset of "AIM"), Change, Locked, END.
>
> After you do this, when you pull your phone out of your pocket, it will
> say
> "Enter unlock code", because you have inadvertently tried to change the
> audio style. "cancel" and carry on with use of the phone.
>
> ---
> Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8,-122.5

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 8:52:54 AM

P Hoberg <nospamphobergnospam@att.net> wrote:
> Thank you, Clarence. It worked. How did you know "1234"? That had me
> stopped in CJD's instructions. Does the same lock code work for
> everything? So if I lock the phone, and change it from 1234 to another
> set of 4 numbers, even this one (Audio) will see that change? Paul

"Your phone's 4-digit unlock code is originally set to 1234,
and the 6-digit security code is originally set to 000000."

It's in the owner's manual.
There's so little of value in the manual, I can see why you missed it ;-)

---
August 21, 2005 11:12:05 AM

Hee, ya sorry bout that, I just figure knowing that is a given, been playing
with Motos for too long lol
Thank you, Clarence. It worked. How did you know "1234"? That had me
stopped in CJD's instructions. Does the same lock code work for everything?
So if I lock the phone, and change it from 1234 to another set of 4 numbers,
even this one (Audio) will see that change? Paul

<dold@XReXXV551X.usenet.us.com> wrote in message
news:D e8bqh$dnl$4@blue.rahul.net...
>P Hoberg <nospamphobergnospam@att.net> wrote:
>
>>> 2)set your ringstyle with a lock, under security settings. That way you
>>> can't change them without entering your password.
>
>> I can't find how to just lock the ringstyle. I looked thru the Cingular
>> V551 instructions at
>
> Menu>Settings>Security>Lock Application>1234>scroll down two pages (22
> lines) to "-Audio", a few lines below "AIM" (which makes it look like
> "-Audio" is a subset of "AIM"), Change, Locked, END.
>
> After you do this, when you pull your phone out of your pocket, it will
> say
> "Enter unlock code", because you have inadvertently tried to change the
> audio style. "cancel" and carry on with use of the phone.
>
> ---
> Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8,-122.5

August 23, 2005 6:48:55 AM

3GP clips:
Xilisoft free encoders can read them (but not .MOV files) if shorter than 5 mins
You could convert them to .AVIs with Xilisoft or free tools at:
http://www.radgametools.com/
then use something simple and free like Windows Movie Maker 2 to cut and stitch them and add effects
etc
WMM2 outputs as .WMV so you would need Xilisoft to convert them back to .3GPs
Unfortunately mpegable is no longer available.
!