FLOP 10 games of all times?

answering to the recent thread of TOP TEN games, I thought a poll of
the most disappointing/overhyped games ever comes to mind ...

i.e. NOT worst games, but those who you expected so much more of!

I nominate:
Half-Life 2 (endless loading times, Steam)

many more come to mind (Stonekeep, Age of Mythology, Halo, Daikatana,
Ultima 9, ...)
--
"This is an extremely primitive and paranoid culture."
(James T. Kirk on 20th century America, Star Trek IV)

Tak

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2003

"Cole Turner" <remove.cole.turner@liwest.at.spambotprotection> wrote in
message news:edke7191kqbdblbkafl4kltscp6r69517j@4ax.com...
> answering to the recent thread of TOP TEN games, I thought a poll of
> the most disappointing/overhyped games ever comes to mind ...
>
> i.e. NOT worst games, but those who you expected so much more of!
>
> I nominate:
> Half-Life 2 (endless loading times, Steam)
>
> many more come to mind (Stonekeep, Age of Mythology, Halo, Daikatana,
> Ultima 9, ...)
> --
> "This is an extremely primitive and paranoid culture."
> (James T. Kirk on 20th century America, Star Trek IV)

Black and White
Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor

On Tue, 03 May 2005 12:33:40 +0200, Cole Turner
<remove.cole.turner@liwest.at.spambotprotection> wrote:

>answering to the recent thread of TOP TEN games, I thought a poll of
>the most disappointing/overhyped games ever comes to mind ...
>
>i.e. NOT worst games, but those who you expected so much more of!

Quake
Doom 3
Diablo
Quake 2
Dark Reign 2
Aquanox
Dungeon Keeper
Aces Over Europe
Carmageddon TDR 2000
Mafia

Tak wrote:
> "Cole Turner" <remove.cole.turner@liwest.at.spambotprotection> wrote in
> message news:edke7191kqbdblbkafl4kltscp6r69517j@4ax.com...
>
>>answering to the recent thread of TOP TEN games, I thought a poll of
>>the most disappointing/overhyped games ever comes to mind ...
>>
>>i.e. NOT worst games, but those who you expected so much more of!
>>
>>I nominate:
>>Half-Life 2 (endless loading times, Steam)
>>
>>many more come to mind (Stonekeep, Age of Mythology, Halo, Daikatana,
>>Ultima 9, ...)
>>--
>>"This is an extremely primitive and paranoid culture."
>> (James T. Kirk on 20th century America, Star Trek IV)
>

> Black and White
> Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor

TOEE and Duke Nukem Forever....Oh wait...that hasn't been released ;-)

Cole Turner <remove.cole.turner@liwest.at.spambotprotection> wrote in

> answering to the recent thread of TOP TEN games, I thought a poll of
> the most disappointing/overhyped games ever comes to mind ...
>
> i.e. NOT worst games, but those who you expected so much more of!
>
> I nominate:
> Half-Life 2 (endless loading times, Steam)

Uttery linear, idiotic puzzles to solve in order to advance and boring
combat compared to HL.
Too bad they didn't make more of a great engine.

Seymour C. Moore wrote:

> Cole Turner <remove.cole.turner@liwest.at.spambotprotection> wrote in
>

>>answering to the recent thread of TOP TEN games, I thought a poll of
>>the most disappointing/overhyped games ever comes to mind ...
>>
>>i.e. NOT worst games, but those who you expected so much more of!
>>
>>I nominate:
>>Half-Life 2 (endless loading times, Steam)
>

> Uttery linear, idiotic puzzles to solve in order to advance and boring
> combat compared to HL.
> Too bad they didn't make more of a great engine.

CS: Source is fun, but I find myself going back to plain ol' CS

Cole Turner wrote:
> answering to the recent thread of TOP TEN games, I thought a poll of
> the most disappointing/overhyped games ever comes to mind ...
>
> i.e. NOT worst games, but those who you expected so much more of!
>
> I nominate:
> Half-Life 2 (endless loading times, Steam)
>
> many more come to mind (Stonekeep, Age of Mythology, Halo, Daikatana,
> Ultima 9, ...)

Don't agree on HL2 at all by the way.

My vote goes to Deus Ex 2 and all Tomb Raider sequels.

Cole Turner wrote:

> answering to the recent
> thread of TOP TEN
> games, I thought a poll of
> the most disappointing/
> overhyped games ever
> comes to mind ...
>
> i.e. NOT worst games, but
> those who you expected
> so much more of!

This question lends itself towards listing sequels. Since gamers would
come to expect a certain standard in a series for which the sequels
might fail to live up to. A few offenders spring to mind:

Diablo II -the random outdoor environments were a disappointment from
the carefully crafted town in Diablo 1. I picked up Diablo 2 within a
couple of months of its initial release only to uninstall it upon
reaching the second realm.

Quake 3
There never was a coherent storyline between the games of the Quake
series but Quake II offered a basic enough story for sequels to be
built off of. Quake 3 completely abandoned that and catered to
deathmatch and MP exclusively. The SP component was a training
excercise for online play. Quake 4 looks to pick up where Quake 3
dropped the ball. We'll have to wait and see.

There's other games that weren't sequels that disappointed me but I'll
post that tomorrow if I remember to check back here.

--
Best Regards, mattchu
np: The Dwarves - Way Out.mp3

> Hey, I *liked* the cheesy in-game fmv. Gave the game character.

Absolutely! A dungeoncrawler that permitted only 90 degree turns was
inherently awkward enough by the time of its release. The FMV was just
icing on the cake!

I loved that game. I can't remember the last remotely enjoyable game
where I slaughtered a murdering mummy. It's unlikely that I could
stomach it again today but it was fun while it lasted.

--
Best Regards, mattchu
np: [ ]

Well, an honorable mention will always go to Outpost.

nostromo

Thus spake Cole Turner <remove.cole.turner@liwest.at.spambotprotection>,
Tue, 03 May 2005 12:33:40 +0200, Anno Domini:

>answering to the recent thread of TOP TEN games, I thought a poll of
>the most disappointing/overhyped games ever comes to mind ...
>
>i.e. NOT worst games, but those who you expected so much more of!
>
>I nominate:
>Half-Life 2 (endless loading times, Steam)
>
>many more come to mind (Stonekeep, Age of Mythology, Halo, Daikatana,
>Ultima 9, ...)

Hey, Stonekeep wasn't so bad, if you got past the cheesy in-game fmv
sequences.

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

Nostromo wrote:

> Thus spake Cole Turner <remove.cole.turner@liwest.at.spambotprotection>,
> Tue, 03 May 2005 12:33:40 +0200, Anno Domini:
>

>>answering to the recent thread of TOP TEN games, I thought a poll of
>>the most disappointing/overhyped games ever comes to mind ...
>>
>>i.e. NOT worst games, but those who you expected so much more of!
>>
>>I nominate:
>>Half-Life 2 (endless loading times, Steam)
>>
>>many more come to mind (Stonekeep, Age of Mythology, Halo, Daikatana,
>>Ultima 9, ...)
>

> Hey, Stonekeep wasn't so bad, if you got past the cheesy in-game fmv
> sequences.

Thank god FMV died. Anyone remember the awful FMV game Phantmasmagoria
(or something like that)???

Nostromo wrote:
> Thus spake Cole Turner
> <remove.cole.turner@liwest.at.spambotprotection>, Tue, 03 May 2005
> 12:33:40 +0200, Anno Domini:
>
>> answering to the recent thread of TOP TEN games, I thought a poll of
>> the most disappointing/overhyped games ever comes to mind ...
>>
>> i.e. NOT worst games, but those who you expected so much more of!
>>
>> I nominate:
>> Half-Life 2 (endless loading times, Steam)
>>
>> many more come to mind (Stonekeep, Age of Mythology, Halo, Daikatana,
>> Ultima 9, ...)
>
> Hey, Stonekeep wasn't so bad, if you got past the cheesy in-game fmv
> sequences.

Hey, I *liked* the cheesy in-game fmv. Gave the game character.

--
chainbreaker

On Tue, 03 May 2005 09:36:09 -0600, James Garvin
<jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote:

>Nostromo wrote:
>
>> Thus spake Cole Turner <remove.cole.turner@liwest.at.spambotprotection>,
>> Tue, 03 May 2005 12:33:40 +0200, Anno Domini:
>>

>>>answering to the recent thread of TOP TEN games, I thought a poll of
>>>the most disappointing/overhyped games ever comes to mind ...
>>>
>>>i.e. NOT worst games, but those who you expected so much more of!
>>>
>>>I nominate:
>>>Half-Life 2 (endless loading times, Steam)
>>>
>>>many more come to mind (Stonekeep, Age of Mythology, Halo, Daikatana,
>>>Ultima 9, ...)
>>

>> Hey, Stonekeep wasn't so bad, if you got past the cheesy in-game fmv
>> sequences.
>
>Thank god FMV died. Anyone remember the awful FMV game Phantmasmagoria
>(or something like that)???

I have the Gabriel Knight FMV game and while the story was good, the
acting was atrocious. That and the fact that it takes up half a shelf
just killed those games for me. Black Dahlia, OTOH, was pretty good.
I remember there was one "starring" Tia Carrera, never plaed it, but
it looked godawful. At least Origin hired decent talent for the Wing
COmmander series. ALthough I could never look at the aladin character
without seeing him in a fez and calling out "Indy".

Lynley

James Garvin wrote:
> Thank god FMV died. Anyone remember the awful FMV game
> Phantmasmagoria (or something like that)???

Now *that* game is on my all-time worst games list, maybe heading it up.
It's the only Sierra game I ever took advantage of their money-back
guarantee with.

--
chainbreaker

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-05-03, Lynley James <lynley.james@gmail.com> wrote:

> I remember there was one "starring" Tia Carrera, never plaed it, but
> it looked godawful.

The Daedulus Encounter. It was awful. I played it on the 3DO or
tried to play it.

Lynley James wrote:
> it looked godawful. At least Origin hired decent talent for the Wing
> COmmander series. ALthough I could never look at the aladin character
> without seeing him in a fez and calling out "Indy".

There might have been better fmv games than those in the Wing Commander
series, but those are the best I saw.

--
chainbreaker

On Tue, 03 May 2005 12:33:40 +0200, Cole Turner
<remove.cole.turner@liwest.at.spambotprotection> wrote:

>answering to the recent thread of TOP TEN games, I thought a poll of
>the most disappointing/overhyped games ever comes to mind ...
>
>i.e. NOT worst games, but those who you expected so much more of!

Actually, they're the same thing. If a game is bad, it means that it
failed to meet minimum requirements - which in turn means that they're
disappointing.

>I nominate:
>Half-Life 2 (endless loading times,

Have you compared those times to loading times of other games, on the
systems that were generally available at the time of release? For example,
Sanity: Aiken's Artifact.

>Steam)

What's wrong with Steam, when compared to other games that are currently on
the market? (For example, games with Starforce copyprotection installing
drivers that prevent SafeDisc games from running.)

You'll have a much better chance of making your case if you have said
'corridor shooter' rather than pointing to these two minor issues. While a
game can be declared bad if there's plenty of outstanding minor issues,
they generally require something that's more critical.

"Seymour C. Moore" <notv@l.id> writes:

> Too bad they didn't make more of a great engine.

Well, there's Vampire: Bloodlines.

"Nostromo" <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote in message
> Thus spake Cole Turner <remove.cole.turner@liwest.at.spambotprotection>,
> Tue, 03 May 2005 12:33:40 +0200, Anno Domini:
>
> >answering to the recent thread of TOP TEN games, I thought a poll of
> >the most disappointing/overhyped games ever comes to mind ...
> >
> >i.e. NOT worst games, but those who you expected so much more of!
> >
> >I nominate:
> >Half-Life 2 (endless loading times, Steam)
> >
> >many more come to mind (Stonekeep, Age of Mythology, Halo, Daikatana,
> >Ultima 9, ...)
>
> Hey, Stonekeep wasn't so bad, if you got past the cheesy in-game fmv
> sequences.

For the record, I liked Stonekeep. I might not have seen all the hype on it
at the time, but the game was a pretty decent dungeon crawl for it's time.

I've never understood why it was so universally panned. But maybe it was
cause of the hype.

And ya, the FMV wasn't so hot.

Grotnar

"James Garvin" <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Nostromo wrote:
>
> > Thus spake Cole Turner <remove.cole.turner@liwest.at.spambotprotection>,
> > Tue, 03 May 2005 12:33:40 +0200, Anno Domini:
> >

> >>answering to the recent thread of TOP TEN games, I thought a poll of
> >>the most disappointing/overhyped games ever comes to mind ...
> >>
> >>i.e. NOT worst games, but those who you expected so much more of!
> >>
> >>I nominate:
> >>Half-Life 2 (endless loading times, Steam)
> >>
> >>many more come to mind (Stonekeep, Age of Mythology, Halo, Daikatana,
> >>Ultima 9, ...)
> >

> > Hey, Stonekeep wasn't so bad, if you got past the cheesy in-game fmv
> > sequences.
>
> Thank god FMV died. Anyone remember the awful FMV game Phantmasmagoria
> (or something like that)???

I remember this game. It came on 7 cds! Sierra hyped the fact that it was
on 7 cds. I think they were trying to insinuate that the game was long, but
really, i remember being able to solve the game in about an hour or so, if
ya knew what to do. The only thing that made it take that long were the
chapter interludes, and all the speach. On the plus side it did have some
brief nudity and some other adult content. Which by itself isn't that
amazing, but for a big title at the time, adult content was unheard of.

I think it took me maybe 5 to 7 hours to solve it, over a few nights, I
promptly returned it and got my cash back. Those were old school Software
Etc., days where ya could get money back on game if ya returned it within 30
days.

Grotnar

tron

Comparing the ratio of marketing and development $ to sales $ - Daikatana.
The flops get no bigger. :)

"Cole Turner" <remove.cole.turner@liwest.at.spambotprotection> wrote in
message news:edke7191kqbdblbkafl4kltscp6r69517j@4ax.com...
> answering to the recent thread of TOP TEN games, I thought a poll of
> the most disappointing/overhyped games ever comes to mind ...
>
> i.e. NOT worst games, but those who you expected so much more of!
>
> I nominate:
> Half-Life 2 (endless loading times, Steam)
>
> many more come to mind (Stonekeep, Age of Mythology, Halo, Daikatana,
> Ultima 9, ...)
> --
> "This is an extremely primitive and paranoid culture."
> (James T. Kirk on 20th century America, Star Trek IV)

What do you mean by FLOP? Games that didn't sell as expected, or
didn't turn out to be as good as expected?
I haven't played HL2 but I would disagree with you, it definitely sold
really well, and most people say it's a great game, as great as hyped.
The STEAM thing is another issue, you may hate it, but it doesn't make
HL2 a flop in any way.

To me, games I expected to be much better than what I got:
- Black and White
- Ultima 8
- Heroes of M&M 4
- M&M 9 (or 8? whatever, the last one)
- Wizards and Warriors
- Gothic 2 (so many good reviews from players, only to find it
unplayable with the controls)
- Neverwinter Nights (granted, never played the mods)
- Temple of Elemental Evil
- Microsoft OS2 (what? not a game? it is when you turn the box into a
soccer ball)
- Horizons MMORPG

chainbreaker wrote:

> Lynley James wrote:
>
>>it looked godawful. At least Origin hired decent talent for the Wing
>>COmmander series. ALthough I could never look at the aladin character
>>without seeing him in a fez and calling out "Indy".
>

> There might have been better fmv games than those in the Wing Commander
> series, but those are the best I saw.

Agreed. Mark Hamill was a great choice and the Kilrathy looked awesome.

"mattchu" <wintlerpark@hotmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>This question lends itself towards listing sequels. Since gamers would
>come to expect a certain standard in a series for which the sequels
>might fail to live up to. A few offenders spring to mind:
>
>Diablo II -the random outdoor environments were a disappointment from
>the carefully crafted town in Diablo 1. I picked up Diablo 2 within a
>couple of months of its initial release only to uninstall it upon
>reaching the second realm.

But D2 had the same carefully crafted towns that Diablo did, just more
of them.

The randomized layouts outside town are common to both games, just D2 is
on the surface (mostly) and Diablo is all underground levels.

The overly square layouts of D2's areas was a bit disappointing though.

Xocyll