Sound Audigy 2 Platinum Question!

DanAshmoreUK

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
ok im a first time user to these boards so i hope my signature works!!!
Anyway ive a question to ask about the creative labs audigy 2 platinum card and that is could i use the card with no speakers plugged into the sound card, and just use the SPDIF digital out to connect to my Sony receiver's speakers? My receiver is the SONY STRDB1080. (Just in case you wanted to know) :smile:
I wanted to use them for everything on the PC so that the sound will come through them all the time for things such as my music/dvd's/games and even windows startup...
is this possible
thx everyone

<b>---Ashmore---</b>
<font color=blue><i>It's always funny until someone gets hurt.........and then it's just hillarious!</i></font color=blue>

DanAshmoreUK

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
anyone? please

<b>---Ashmore---</b>
<font color=blue><i>It's always funny until someone gets hurt.........and then it's just hillarious!</i></font color=blue>

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
Welcome to the boards.

Yes, many of us do the same thing. It depends on your receiver capabilities though: I have connected my Audigy's (any sound card for that sake) front audio-out jack to my Denon stereo amp because it's not a digital receiver and doesn't have/amplify digital inputs. If your receiver is one of those home theatre ones (with 5.1 dolby digital decoding, blah blah) and it has a digital input, you can connect the sound card to the receiver. You can use either optical or coaxial (SPDIF) ports/cables in this process so check which ports are available on the Audigy and on the receiver to match them.

DanAshmoreUK

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
ok cheers everyone my receiver is a digital sony 6.1 decoder with 6*100 watt channel so that should work very well with the audigy 2 platinum right :smile:

<b>---Ashmore---</b>

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Glade to be able to help, one note however that you may want to to plug the outputs (Analog) to the reciever using the receivers 6 channel imputs, this will allow you to use the surround sound in a more direction sense as the card will be able to send dedicated signals to each of the six speakers that yo have on the Sony. This is very helpful in games where the signal is not Dolby Digital but uses direct 3d or EX for sound. Also, the Audigy 2 has suppport for DVD-Audio disks and a whole slew of other features. If you do find yourself needing the digital imputs and outputs, I recommend the Audigy 2 at newegg.com for $112.00 and the <A HREF="http://www.tracertek.com/sblive.htm" target="_new">Hoontech SB DB-3</A> for your digital inputs and outputs for $35.

If it works for you then don't fix it.