Morrowind Great Houses

I've finished the main quests of Morrowind and the two addons, but I want to
do as many side quests possible. Which of the Houses has the best quests?
I know this is subjective. I want to visit as many dungeons as possible and
hate escort quests. Which House should I join and if possible why? Any and
all opinions welcome.
15 answers Last reply
More about morrowind great houses

    "Diabolical Mr. Z" <sir_revisited@yahoo.com> wrote in

    > I've finished the main quests of Morrowind and the two addons, but I
    > want to do as many side quests possible. Which of the Houses has the
    > best quests? I know this is subjective. I want to visit as many
    > dungeons as possible and hate escort quests. Which House should I
    > join and if possible why? Any and all opinions welcome.

    I think the choice of House to join should mainly be based on which
    character you play.
    Redoran is Figher oriented, Hlaluu is Thief oriented, while Telvanni is
    Mage oriented, roughly speaking.
    I know Hlaluu has at least one escort mission. This mission was broken when
    I played, but that may be due to playing with 200 mods. But it was easily
    fixed by entering the relevant journal entry from the console.
    I think Redoran has two rescue&escort missions.

    > I've finished the main
    > quests of Morrowind and
    > the two addons, but I want
    > to do as many side quests
    > possible. Which of the
    > Houses has the best
    > quests?
    > I know this is subjective. I
    > want to visit as many
    > dungeons as possible and
    > hate escort quests.
    > Which House should I
    > join and if possible why? > Any and all opinions
    > welcome.

    I prefer House Hlaalu mostly since one of your final rewards is a
    stronghold down the river from the city of Balmora. It's a great
    location for surplus weaponry and ingredients, and its location is a
    nice intermediate point between Hla Oad and Balmora. This is
    convenient since Balmora has teleportation and Stilt strider services
    while Hla Oad is a port which makes travel to Khuul and then onto
    Solstheim all the more easier -not to mention travelling to Balmora
    from a port.

    The downside to House Hlaalu is that there *is* one escort mission as
    well as two slave rescue operations which effectively are the same as
    an escort mission (in that you must keep the slave alive until reaching
    a specified location).

    I haven't joined up with House Telvanni ever and I only did the first
    few missions of House Redoran. Redoran seemed to cater to warrior
    classes more and also offered a stronghold to higher ranking members
    like Hlaalu did. Telvanni from what I could gather was geared towards
    spell casters. Hlaalu's quest seemed to encourage diplomacy related
    skills and thievery, but I'm sure diplomacy via a high Speech skill is
    an option for completing quests in all of the Great Houses.

    I noticed on UESP.net that it is possible to join both House Hlaalu and
    House Redoran as well as joining House Redoran and House Hlaalu.
    Special considerations must be taken to ensure you don't limit your
    ability to advance in the other House. These are outlined at the
    locations below:

    http://www.uesp.net/morrow/quest/mw_househlaalu.shtml#redoranandhlaalu

    http://www.uesp.net/morrow/quest/mw_househlaalu.shtml#telvannibug

    If you don't want to read spoilers yet are curious how to advance in
    two Houses then I would suggest not reading beyond the immediate text
    in both links. However, if you're curious as to exactly what quests
    are available for any given House then UESP.net can give you all the
    details you need.

    --
    Best Regards, mattchu
    np: [ ]

    Quoth The Raven "Diabolical Mr. Z"<sir_revisited@yahoo.com> in
    wvPde.176067$cg1.6401@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net
    > I've finished the main quests of Morrowind and the two addons, but I
    > want to do as many side quests possible. Which of the Houses has
    > the best quests? I know this is subjective. I want to visit as many
    > dungeons as possible and hate escort quests. Which House should I
    > join and if possible why? Any and all opinions welcome.

    I forget the name, it was over a year ago that I played the game, but look
    for a mod that allows you to play all the houses and all the professions.
    that alone let me play for another 6 months.

    --
    If quizzes are quizzical then what are tests?

    Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me

    > I think the choice of House to join should mainly be based on which
    > character you play.
    > Redoran is Figher oriented, Hlaluu is Thief oriented, while Telvanni is
    > Mage oriented, roughly speaking.
    > I know Hlaluu has at least one escort mission. This mission was broken
    when
    > I played, but that may be due to playing with 200 mods. But it was easily
    > fixed by entering the relevant journal entry from the console.
    > I think Redoran has two rescue&escort missions.

    For those who have problems with escort/rescue missions, I highly recommend
    getting my Improved Followers mod, here:

    http://www.elricm.com/nuke/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=getit&lid=73
    or here:
    http://www.rpgplanet.com/morrowind/modcontrols/mod.asp?modid=4387
    (It's also on UFRealms, though UFRealms seems to be down right now.)

    Basically, I vastly improved the AI of all followers so that they don't get
    lost so easily. They can speed up to keep up with you, even with BoBS, and
    if you get them really stuck, they teleport to you when you get too far
    away. In addition, they'll also levitate with you, won't drown when
    swimming, and won't turn on you if you hit them by accident in combat. The
    mod is Beta right now, but only until I clear up a few relatively minor
    bugs. (It's harder to test this than it was to make it.)

    Incidentally, if the broken Hlaalu escort mission you're referring to
    involves Corky the Guar, I've fixed that as well. (And that was a darn
    bugger of a problem to track down, too... Bad dialog entry order on the
    rancher woman who buys him from you.)

    "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in

    >> I think the choice of House to join should mainly be based on which
    >> character you play.
    >> Redoran is Figher oriented, Hlaluu is Thief oriented, while Telvanni
    >> is Mage oriented, roughly speaking.
    >> I know Hlaluu has at least one escort mission. This mission was
    >> broken
    > when
    >> I played, but that may be due to playing with 200 mods. But it was
    >> easily fixed by entering the relevant journal entry from the console.
    >> I think Redoran has two rescue&escort missions.
    >
    > For those who have problems with escort/rescue missions, I highly
    > recommend getting my Improved Followers mod, here:
    >
    > http://www.elricm.com/nuke/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&f
    > ile=index&req=getit&lid=73 or here:
    > http://www.rpgplanet.com/morrowind/modcontrols/mod.asp?modid=4387
    > (It's also on UFRealms, though UFRealms seems to be down right now.)
    >
    > Basically, I vastly improved the AI of all followers so that they
    > don't get lost so easily. They can speed up to keep up with you, even
    > with BoBS, and if you get them really stuck, they teleport to you when
    > you get too far away. In addition, they'll also levitate with you,
    > won't drown when swimming, and won't turn on you if you hit them by
    > accident in combat. The mod is Beta right now, but only until I clear
    > up a few relatively minor bugs. (It's harder to test this than it was
    > to make it.)

    My main problem with followers is that they cast lightning bolts they not
    only frie the enemy but my character as well.
    I think this is due to the Balance - NPC Spellcasting.esp as in my
    current game nearly all NPCs cast some massive lightning bolts which is
    quite annoying.

    > Incidentally, if the broken Hlaalu escort mission you're referring to
    > involves Corky the Guar, I've fixed that as well. (And that was a
    > darn bugger of a problem to track down, too... Bad dialog entry order
    > on the rancher woman who buys him from you.)

    No, it was a trader that needed escort from the gates of Vivec to
    Pelagiad. I don't think the Corky one is a Hlaluu quest, as I remember
    getting the quest when playing Redoran.

    Quoth The Raven "Darrel Hoffman"<i.dont@think.so> in
    mI-dnY2D9OUfzOTfRVn-oQ@giganews.com

    > Basically, I vastly improved the AI of all followers so that they
    > don't get lost so easily. They can speed up to keep up with you,
    > even with BoBS, and if you get them really stuck, they teleport to
    > you when you get too far away. In addition, they'll also levitate
    > with you, won't drown when swimming, and won't turn on you if you hit
    > them by accident in combat.

    non drowning escorts! awesome!, where were you 2 years ago?

    --
    Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once

    "Seymour C. Moore" <notv@l.id> wrote in message

    > My main problem with followers is that they cast lightning bolts they not
    > only frie the enemy but my character as well.
    > I think this is due to the Balance - NPC Spellcasting.esp as in my
    > current game nearly all NPCs cast some massive lightning bolts which is
    > quite annoying.

    It's happened to my characters and I've never used the mod. Yes, it's
    annoying, and makes you wonder why the hell they need an escort in the first
    place.

    > My main problem with followers is that they cast lightning bolts they not
    > only frie the enemy but my character as well.
    > I think this is due to the Balance - NPC Spellcasting.esp as in my
    > current game nearly all NPCs cast some massive lightning bolts which is
    > quite annoying.

    Ah. I also made a point of arming many of the followers with Chitin bows
    and arrows, or throwing stars. This keeps them out of you way for the most
    part, and if they do accidentally hit you, it doesn't hurt too much. But I
    can't do much about stuff added by other mods. In fact, there's a chance my
    mod would conflict with that one, haven't tested that.

    > > Incidentally, if the broken Hlaalu escort mission you're referring to
    > > involves Corky the Guar, I've fixed that as well. (And that was a
    > > darn bugger of a problem to track down, too... Bad dialog entry order
    > > on the rancher woman who buys him from you.)
    >
    > No, it was a trader that needed escort from the gates of Vivec to
    > Pelagiad. I don't think the Corky one is a Hlaluu quest, as I remember
    > getting the quest when playing Redoran.

    I think Corky is a quest for both the Hlaalu and Redoran houses. I got him
    as a quest from that Hlaalu guy who lives upstairs at the castle in Caldera.
    He wanted me to go collect rent and taxes from some farmers in the
    plantation area. One of those farmers was too poor to pay the taxes, so he
    gave me the guar instead. The woman you're supposed to sell him too,
    Drulene Falen, lives in a hut west of Ald'Ruhn, and is a quest-giver for
    House Redoran.

    This quest was quite annoying, because it's by far one of the LONGest
    distance escort missions, (with the possible exception of that Argonian near
    the Erabenimsum camp that you have to get to Ebonheart) and you have to take
    a guar through some dangerous, hilly terrain. Several times, I had him fall
    off a cliff and die. I can't fix that, because guars don't have the
    Acrobatics skill like people do (I raised all humanoid followers' Acrobatics
    to 200 so they won't die by falling), and because you can't cast Slowfall on
    a guar. (It has the opposite effect for some reason. Stupid bug.) The bug
    was that even when you got to Drulene, she acted as if you'd already sold
    her the guar, and wouldn't purchase it from you. Some dialog entries were
    out of order, and I fixed that.

    > non drowning escorts! awesome!, where were you 2 years ago?

    Probably playing Diablo II. I only started playing MW about 4 months ago,
    and I've only been modding it for the past two. I just basically saw a need
    and filled it. All my mods are like that. I just fix stuff that's
    annoying. (Go to any of the sites I listed and search for "Lurlock", you'll
    see the rest of them.) This is by far my most popular mod yet. My theory
    is why let Bethesda's lazy AI programming spoil your experiences working for
    any of the factions, all of which have plenty of other more interesting
    quests. I don't like having to think about "Should I work for this faction?
    I know that you get XXX when you complete it, but there's 3 escort missions,
    and that really stinks..."
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Sarah" <scrubbrush@DELrogers.comDEL> wrote in

    > "Seymour C. Moore" <notv@l.id> wrote in message
    >
    >> My main problem with followers is that they cast lightning bolts they
    >> not only frie the enemy but my character as well.
    >> I think this is due to the Balance - NPC Spellcasting.esp as in my
    >> current game nearly all NPCs cast some massive lightning bolts which
    >> is quite annoying.
    >
    > It's happened to my characters and I've never used the mod. Yes, it's
    > annoying, and makes you wonder why the hell they need an escort in the
    > first place.

    You are right; I unchecked the Balance mod and I can't see any
    difference.
    But there must be some mod making the NPCs cast these massice Lightning
    Bolts, as they didn't do it in my first game, when I had only a very few
    mods installed.

    I just rescued five slaves from a bandit cave. On the way to a safehouse
    I was attacked by a kwama forager, so naturally the slave in the back
    cast a lightining bolt, frying the other slaves, the forager and my
    characters whiskers...

    BTW, I guess you like the Kahjits? After all they greet yet with your
    name. ;-)

  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Thu, 5 May 2005 19:18:06 -0400, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
    wrote:

    >I think Corky is a quest for both the Hlaalu and Redoran houses. I got him
    >as a quest from that Hlaalu guy who lives upstairs at the castle in Caldera.
    >He wanted me to go collect rent and taxes from some farmers in the
    >plantation area. One of those farmers was too poor to pay the taxes, so he
    >gave me the guar instead. The woman you're supposed to sell him too,
    >Drulene Falen, lives in a hut west of Ald'Ruhn, and is a quest-giver for
    >House Redoran.

    Of course, the escort part of that quest is totally optional; I always
    spoke to Crassius Curio about it, and never actually collected anything
    from the farmers.
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com> wrote in

    > On Thu, 5 May 2005 19:18:06 -0400, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I think Corky is a quest for both the Hlaalu and Redoran houses. I
    >>got him as a quest from that Hlaalu guy who lives upstairs at the
    >>castle in Caldera. He wanted me to go collect rent and taxes from some
    >>farmers in the plantation area. One of those farmers was too poor to
    >>pay the taxes, so he gave me the guar instead. The woman you're
    >>supposed to sell him too, Drulene Falen, lives in a hut west of
    >>Ald'Ruhn, and is a quest-giver for House Redoran.
    >
    > Of course, the escort part of that quest is totally optional; I always
    > spoke to Crassius Curio about it, and never actually collected
    > anything from the farmers.

    There should have been an option to say something like "I haven't got time
    draggin Corky all the way to Al'ruhn. Keep him and I'll pay the 50 drakes
    myself".
    An idea for a small mod, if not already done?

  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > You are right; I unchecked the Balance mod and I can't see any
    > difference.
    > But there must be some mod making the NPCs cast these massice Lightning
    > Bolts, as they didn't do it in my first game, when I had only a very few
    > mods installed.

    That's possible. When it happened to me, I had a ton of mods loaded, but I
    have no idea if a mod caused it to happen or if it would have happened
    anyway.

    > BTW, I guess you like the Kahjits? After all they greet yet with your
    > name. ;-)

    Or something sounding like my name, anyway. To be honest, I don't like
    khajit. Probably my least favorite race.
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Fri, 06 May 2005 08:17:58 GMT, "Seymour C. Moore" <notv@l.id> wrote:

    >There should have been an option to say something like "I haven't got time
    >draggin Corky all the way to Al'ruhn. Keep him and I'll pay the 50 drakes
    >myself".
    >An idea for a small mod, if not already done?

    If you talk to CC, he tells you not to even bother visiting the farmers,
    and gives you more than enough money to pay the rents with. That saves
    you a lot of time and effort, as well as being the morally upright thing
    to do.
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > On Fri, 06 May 2005 08:17:58 GMT, "Seymour C. Moore" <notv@l.id>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>There should have been an option to say something like "I haven't got
    >>time draggin Corky all the way to Al'ruhn. Keep him and I'll pay the
    >>50 drakes myself".
    >>An idea for a small mod, if not already done?
    >
    > If you talk to CC, he tells you not to even bother visiting the
    > farmers, and gives you more than enough money to pay the rents with.
    > That saves you a lot of time and effort, as well as being the morally
    > upright thing to do.

    My timid little pussycat is a bit nervous around Uncle Crassius after he
    made her take off all her clothes...

    Funny thing is that after the conversation he started moving and returned
    and said "Oooh. You're naked. Spare me." and turned around!

PC gaming Games Video Games