Sign in with
Your question

Cpu Heat Problem

Last response: in Networking
February 16, 2013 9:16:00 AM

:hello: 

I'm wondering why my cpu temp reaches heights of 75°C ?

everything has stock fans, nothing overclocked
I normally run 2 games (path of exile), firefox, skype

My Setup:
27" Asus Monitor VE276N
19" LG Monitor L1953S

Intel Core i5-3570k
Nvidia Geforce GTX 570
Asrock Z77 pro 3
16gb Corsair Vengance
Corsair CX600

Screenshots (only running 1 game at that time)

CoreTemp
http://imageshack.us/a/img820/522/coretempm.jpg

Task Manager
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/933/taskg.jpg

More about : cpu heat problem

a b à CPUs
February 16, 2013 4:36:37 PM

It sounds like you need better cooling. You have the Intel HSF (heatsink/fan) on the CPU; you may want to check that it is securely fastened so that it has a good contact area, and may need to go to a new better quality HSF.

Also insure that your case ventilation is adequate, just for a test take off the side cover and see if it helps your temps.
February 17, 2013 10:20:26 AM

thanks

i read some reviews and thinking about

Thermalright HR-02 Macho ~45€
or
Zalman CNPS 9900 Max ~55€

my cpu fan is blowing the heat right at the gpu card which is on ~58°C when running 1poe
the Zalman would blow the heat out of my case

guess i should go with the zalman then?

im open to any other suggestions!
Related resources
February 17, 2013 11:35:46 AM

I wouldnt rush to buy a new heatsink just yet.

While 75isnt low its not dangerous for your i5. What is troubleing thought is that it reaches that temperature while playing PoE which isn't really demanding ..

What are your core temps while the PC is idle ? Also I suggest downloading prime95, its a piece of software that blasts your core to full capacity. Run it for a few mins and again take a reading of your temps. I suspect they will go way over your current readings. If that is the case you most ceirtanly have a badly installed heatsink, or someone used too much / too little thermal paste on your CPU. Either case you have a much easier and cheaper fix than buying fans and heatsinks. I had similar problems recently on my i5-750.

a b à CPUs
February 17, 2013 12:06:47 PM

I agree that I would check the stock fan first, although it uses a pre-applied pad and not paste. It may not be fully secure, as the Intel locking mechanism isn't all that great. Also address case ventilation next before spending on another HSF, just give it a trial with the side open.
February 17, 2013 7:01:07 PM

ael00 said:
I wouldnt rush to buy a new heatsink just yet.

While 75isnt low its not dangerous for your i5. What is troubleing thought is that it reaches that temperature while playing PoE which isn't really demanding ..

What are your core temps while the PC is idle ? Also I suggest downloading prime95, its a piece of software that blasts your core to full capacity. Run it for a few mins and again take a reading of your temps. I suspect they will go way over your current readings. If that is the case you most ceirtanly have a badly installed heatsink, or someone used too much / too little thermal paste on your CPU. Either case you have a much easier and cheaper fix than buying fans and heatsinks. I had similar problems recently on my i5-750.

about 30°C when its idle

was running prime95 5minutes max temp on all cores: 73-80-73-71

RealBeast said:
I agree that I would check the stock fan first, although it uses a pre-applied pad and not paste. It may not be fully secure, as the Intel locking mechanism isn't all that great. Also address case ventilation next before spending on another HSF, just give it a trial with the side open.

running it side open for a few days now as a friend has told me to do that

this is my first pc i build on my own i read how to apply the paste but idk if i did it wrong maybe i have used to much paste
but did i understood that right i didnt need paste? maybe that causes the problems
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2013 7:06:20 PM

You put paste on a stock Intel heatsink? If so, that is the issue. It already has a thermal transfer pad -- basically a paste pad so all you need to do is put it on. You will want to remove it and use alcohol to wipe the paste off. If the Intel thermal pad comes off during the cleaning, then you can apply a thin layer of paste.

HERE is a picture of the bottom on an Intel heatsink. The grey areas are the thermal pad, over time they sort of melt and thin out a bit more usually.

When you use paste on a heatsink that doesn't have that preapplied pad, you want to use a VERY small amount and smooth it very thin with a credit card or something similar so that it is smooth and about as thick as a sheet of paper.

It is always a great idea to watch your temperatures after a build to catch issues like this, so good job on that.
February 17, 2013 7:19:35 PM

reapplied thermal paste
1 poe + skype +ff im at 62°C max now
~10°C less than before

Thanks RealBeast and ael00

with 2x poe im still at 73°C max temp should i do something about that?
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2013 9:03:06 PM

I wouldn't worry at all about running at 73C with 2x poe. That CPU handles much higher temps so I think that you are good now; Ivy Bridge CPUs run hotter.
!