Your most impressive/immersive 3D gaming world(s)?

I thought Morrowind was the only beautiful and immersive 3D gaming
world out there with large expansive outdoor enviroments, but I
recently played Gothic 1 and Operation Flashpoint: Cold War and was
pretty impressed with what was presented. The sunrise lighting in
OPF:CW's 4th/5th scenario was very well done I thought.

I would have *loved* to see this enviroment used in a FPS RPG of some
sort. Although I imagine recent efforts to create immersive
enviroments are even better. (Wouldn't know...my system can't handle
them.)

What are your favorites?
29 answers Last reply
More about your impressive immersive gaming world

    At the time Ultima Underworld just blew me away. But most recently I
    would co-sign on Morrowind. The thing that spoiled the immersion in
    Morrowind is that even with the day/night time cycles the NPC either
    stayed in one spot or walked the same paths. Gothic 1/2 corrected this
    but the graphics pale in comparison. Dungeon Lords is the most recent
    RPG out, so I'll have to see, but from the screen shots it looks subpar
    to Morrowind.

    As far as most recently, I'm still blown away by Far Cry with the
    "Cold" render filter. Half-Life 2 and Doom III were nice as well, but
    HL seems flat to me for some reason and Doom III is a little too unreal
    or cartoony. But that's the problem with futuristic games, most of the
    stuff supposedly hasn't been invented yet.

    I think Myst/Riven/Uru were my top picks.

    Half life 2 still blows me away. Never played Morrowind :-(.

    I'd say the most best world I've ever encountered is in Planescape
    -Torment, but Morrowind, Gothic 2, Tomb Raider and Operation Flashpoint
    were also immersive.
    I've gone "sightseeing" in all of them.

    Right now I'm playing Guild Wars, and have to say that the world is
    absolutely gorgeous, doubtless it's the prettiest world I've ever seen,
    and although there aren't that many npc's, they are extremely well
    animated. So far (I'm one day and 7 levels into the game) the Guild
    Wars world has been the virtual tourists dream.

    Blabbus Blabbibicus wrote:
    > I thought Morrowind was the only beautiful and immersive 3D gaming
    > world out there with large expansive outdoor enviroments, but I
    > recently played Gothic 1 and Operation Flashpoint: Cold War and was
    > pretty impressed with what was presented. The sunrise lighting in
    > OPF:CW's 4th/5th scenario was very well done I thought.
    >
    > I would have *loved* to see this enviroment used in a FPS RPG of some
    > sort. Although I imagine recent efforts to create immersive
    > enviroments are even better. (Wouldn't know...my system can't handle
    > them.)
    >
    > What are your favorites?

    It'd be hard to pick among EQ2, WoW and CoH. All are very impressive, but
    in somewhat different ways. Morrowind just never did that much for me on
    any level, despite its graphics.

    --
    chainbreaker

    Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.
    <mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I'd say the most best world I've ever encountered is in Planescape
    > -Torment, but Morrowind, Gothic 2, Tomb Raider and Operation Flashpoint
    > were also immersive.
    > I've gone "sightseeing" in all of them.
    >
    > Right now I'm playing Guild Wars, and have to say that the world is
    > absolutely gorgeous, doubtless it's the prettiest world I've ever seen,
    > and although there aren't that many npc's, they are extremely well
    > animated. So far (I'm one day and 7 levels into the game) the Guild
    > Wars world has been the virtual tourists dream.

    The trouble with GW is that the terrain is all on rails. I've spent at least
    half the time trying to find how to get from one spot to another 10 feet
    away because a little 3 foot slope is in the way that I'm not allowed to
    cross. Ruins it for me. Its like Dungeon Seige in that regard.

    > The trouble with GW is that the terrain is all on rails. I've spent
    > at least half the time trying to find how to get from one spot to
    > another 10 feet away because a little 3 foot slope is in the way that
    > I'm not allowed to cross. Ruins it for me. Its like Dungeon Seige in
    > that regard.

    Hmm, so they left the glass walls in then. I thought that might have just
    been because since that was the first "event" I participated in, it was
    maybe because the terrain wasn't completely finished. Looks like those
    glass canyons were indeed a "feature".

    --
    chainbreaker

    "Roger Christie" <rochrist@<REMOVETOEMAIL>charter.net> once tried to
    test me with:

    > The trouble with GW is that the terrain is all on rails. I've spent at
    > least half the time trying to find how to get from one spot to another
    > 10 feet away because a little 3 foot slope is in the way that I'm not
    > allowed to cross. Ruins it for me. Its like Dungeon Seige in that
    > regard.

    Yep, that is the immersion breaker for me, essentially it's a 2D world, you
    can never jump or in any way go vertical except on the preset paths.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

    Blabbus Blabbibicus <blabbus@talk.com> once tried to test me with:

    > What are your favorites?

    Far Cry is extremely cool graphically. Physics are also good. Very
    immersive. Half-Life 2 is also very well done, and the physics are
    astounding in it. I wasn't that thrilled with Doom 3, maybe if someone does
    something other than a corridor shooter with it I'll be impressed then.
    That Vampire Bloodlines game also is pretty cool 3D especially for an RPG
    but I never got very far in it.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

    On Wed, 4 May 2005 19:20:32 -0400, "Roger Christie"
    <rochrist@<REMOVETOEMAIL>charter.net> wrote a very poorly quoted
    message:

    This page will help you post useful messages rather than a screwed up
    ..sig:
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Blabbus Blabbibicus" <blabbus@talk.com> wrote in message

    > I thought Morrowind was the only beautiful and immersive 3D gaming
    > world out there with large expansive outdoor enviroments, but I
    > recently played Gothic 1 and Operation Flashpoint: Cold War and was
    > pretty impressed with what was presented. The sunrise lighting in
    > OPF:CW's 4th/5th scenario was very well done I thought.
    >
    > I would have *loved* to see this enviroment used in a FPS RPG of some
    > sort. Although I imagine recent efforts to create immersive
    > enviroments are even better. (Wouldn't know...my system can't handle
    > them.)
    >
    > What are your favorites?

    The world outside my window really kicks ass, best 3D and lighting I've ever
    seen. NPCs are very realistic, appearing to live their own lives, sound
    quality is superb, better than anything I've ever heard. Most amazing of
    all is the open-ended design, giving me the freedom to literally go in any
    direction I want, do the puzzles and quests in any order. Not sure how big
    the landscape is, but I have a feeling that I could walk for days without
    zoning. I'm very impressed, so much so every other game pales in
    comparison.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-05-04, bugler@gmail.com <bugler@gmail.com> wrote:
    > I think Myst/Riven/Uru were my top picks.
    >
    > Half life 2 still blows me away. Never played Morrowind :-(.

    I'm only an hour or so into Morrowind, but it hasn't blown me away
    graphically, because everything is so brown. Where's the colour? Are
    there any beautiful vistas later on that don't share a palette with
    Quake 1?

    --
    Toby.
    field to circumvent my email filters.

    On Thu, 5 May 2005 09:13:04 +0100, Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote:

    >On 2005-05-04, bugler@gmail.com <bugler@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> I think Myst/Riven/Uru were my top picks.
    >>
    >> Half life 2 still blows me away. Never played Morrowind :-(.
    >
    >I'm only an hour or so into Morrowind, but it hasn't blown me away
    >graphically, because everything is so brown. Where's the colour? Are
    >there any beautiful vistas later on that don't share a palette with
    >Quake 1?

    Well, there is also red. That's about it. Enjoy.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    "Blabbus Blabbibicus" <blabbus@talk.com> wrote in message

    > I thought Morrowind was the only beautiful and immersive 3D gaming
    > world out there with large expansive outdoor enviroments, but I
    > recently played Gothic 1 and Operation Flashpoint: Cold War and was
    > pretty impressed with what was presented. The sunrise lighting in
    > OPF:CW's 4th/5th scenario was very well done I thought.
    >
    > I would have *loved* to see this enviroment used in a FPS RPG of some
    > sort. Although I imagine recent efforts to create immersive
    > enviroments are even better. (Wouldn't know...my system can't handle
    > them.)
    >
    > What are your favorites?

    At the time it was released, Trespasser was pretty impressive. Fond memories
    of leaping off the top of a waterfall, and having enough time to appreciate
    the scenery before landing in the pool at the bottom :)

    I'd like to see the Half-Life 2 graphics used in an RPG, but I don't know if
    the engine can cope with large non-linear environments.

    Rich
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Thu, 5 May 2005 09:31:58 +0100, "Richard Wingrove" <rich@privacy.net>
    wrote:

    >I'd like to see the Half-Life 2 graphics used in an RPG, but I don't know if
    >the engine can cope with large non-linear environments.

    *points*
    Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, you mean? The textures are different
    but the engine is the same or mostly the same. So it could be done. How
    about Fallout HL2? :)

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
    http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote in news:slrnd7jlcg.5eh.google@ID-
    171443.user.uni-berlin.de:

    > On 2005-05-04, bugler@gmail.com <bugler@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> I think Myst/Riven/Uru were my top picks.
    >>
    >> Half life 2 still blows me away. Never played Morrowind :-(.
    >
    > I'm only an hour or so into Morrowind, but it hasn't blown me away
    > graphically, because everything is so brown. Where's the colour? Are
    > there any beautiful vistas later on that don't share a palette with
    > Quake 1?

    Vanilla Morrowind does look rather dated now.
    You should install some of the graphics replacers.
    It looks really good with these installed:
    Morrowind Visual Pack from
    http://khalazza.production.free.fr/view_plugin.php?ref=21
    Morrowind Visual Pack 2.2 [Nature] from
    http://khalazza.production.free.fr/view_plugin.php?ref=29
    Visual Pack XT from http://www.thelys.org/mods.php?a=Qarl#Visual_Pack_XT
    Better Sky by Thann from
    http://www.rpgplanet.com/morrowind/modcontrols/mod.asp?modid=4437

    And also Better Bodies and Better Heads to make the NPCs look better.

  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > On Wed, 4 May 2005 19:20:32 -0400, "Roger Christie"
    > <rochrist@<REMOVETOEMAIL>charter.net> wrote a very poorly quoted
    > message:
    >
    > This page will help you post useful messages rather than a screwed up
    > .sig:

    Bite me.
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 5 May 2005 09:31:58 +0100, "Richard Wingrove" <rich@privacy.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I'd like to see the Half-Life 2 graphics used in an RPG, but I don't know
    if
    > >the engine can cope with large non-linear environments.
    >
    > *points*
    > Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, you mean? The textures are different
    > but the engine is the same or mostly the same. So it could be done. How
    > about Fallout HL2? :)

    *slaps forehead*

    Err, yes, forgot about that one :) Haven't tried it yet myself - are there
    lots of large areas to wander around, without having huge loading times
    often?

    Rich
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Thu, 5 May 2005 13:48:23 +0100, "Richard Wingrove" <rich@privacy.net>
    wrote:

    >Err, yes, forgot about that one :) Haven't tried it yet myself - are there
    >lots of large areas to wander around, without having huge loading times
    >often?

    Well, there are loading times between areas normally. Or you could
    install the game into a ram disk and nearly do away with those, if you
    have enough ram to spare.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
    http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-05-05, Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:
    > On Thu, 5 May 2005 13:48:23 +0100, "Richard Wingrove" <rich@privacy.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Err, yes, forgot about that one :) Haven't tried it yet myself - are there
    >>lots of large areas to wander around, without having huge loading times
    >>often?
    >
    > Well, there are loading times between areas normally. Or you could
    > install the game into a ram disk and nearly do away with those, if you
    > have enough ram to spare.

    Sounds interesting. I have 1 gig: I'm assuming that is not enough?
    Considering VTMB is a little unstable, this is only going to make
    matters worse, right?

    --
    Toby.
    field to circumvent my email filters.
    Ignore any mail delivery error.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Thu, 5 May 2005 14:32:42 +0100, Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote:

    >On 2005-05-05, Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 5 May 2005 13:48:23 +0100, "Richard Wingrove" <rich@privacy.net>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Err, yes, forgot about that one :) Haven't tried it yet myself - are there
    >>>lots of large areas to wander around, without having huge loading times
    >>>often?
    >>
    >> Well, there are loading times between areas normally. Or you could
    >> install the game into a ram disk and nearly do away with those, if you
    >> have enough ram to spare.
    >
    >Sounds interesting. I have 1 gig: I'm assuming that is not enough?
    >Considering VTMB is a little unstable, this is only going to make
    >matters worse, right?

    I didn't have any stability problems with it regardless of whether I was
    using the ram disk or not, just the problems with the plot that were not
    fixed before the game was released. OMA's unofficial patches fixed those
    however. He's not hosting the patches anymore but you can find them on
    many gaming sites now. Anyhow I was using 2G for the game and 1.2G for
    the ram disk. Hmmm...thinking back, it did crash to desktop once but it
    wasn't a big deal at the time so I didn't remember.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
    http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Thu, 05 May 2005 10:16:11 GMT, "Seymour C. Moore" <notv@l.id>
    wrote:

    >Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote in news:slrnd7jlcg.5eh.google@ID-
    >171443.user.uni-berlin.de:
    >
    >> On 2005-05-04, bugler@gmail.com <bugler@gmail.com> wrote:
    >>> I think Myst/Riven/Uru were my top picks.
    >>>
    >>> Half life 2 still blows me away. Never played Morrowind :-(.
    >>
    >> I'm only an hour or so into Morrowind, but it hasn't blown me away
    >> graphically, because everything is so brown. Where's the colour? Are
    >> there any beautiful vistas later on that don't share a palette with
    >> Quake 1?
    >
    >Vanilla Morrowind does look rather dated now.
    >You should install some of the graphics replacers.
    >It looks really good with these installed:
    >Morrowind Visual Pack from
    >http://khalazza.production.free.fr/view_plugin.php?ref=21
    >Morrowind Visual Pack 2.2 [Nature] from
    >http://khalazza.production.free.fr/view_plugin.php?ref=29
    >Visual Pack XT from http://www.thelys.org/mods.php?a=Qarl#Visual_Pack_XT
    >Better Sky by Thann from
    >http://www.rpgplanet.com/morrowind/modcontrols/mod.asp?modid=4437
    >
    >And also Better Bodies and Better Heads to make the NPCs look better.

    You forgot to mention the Lighting upgrades which improves how MW's
    ambient lighting works.

    But also you have to remember that Morrowind takes place on a gigantic
    volcanic island so there are bound to be alot of grays and browns.
    <:-)

    If you go to the Bitter Coast region (Far southwestern areas I
    believe) and the human settled areas things become more green.
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 5 May 2005 02:22:24 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:

    >"Roger Christie" <rochrist@<REMOVETOEMAIL>charter.net> once tried to
    >test me with:
    >
    >> The trouble with GW is that the terrain is all on rails. I've spent at
    >> least half the time trying to find how to get from one spot to another
    >> 10 feet away because a little 3 foot slope is in the way that I'm not
    >> allowed to cross. Ruins it for me. Its like Dungeon Seige in that
    >> regard.
    >
    >Yep, that is the immersion breaker for me, essentially it's a 2D world, you
    >can never jump or in any way go vertical except on the preset paths.

    That's why I was so impressed with Operation Flashpoint's engine. You
    had full access to the entire island and it all loads up seamlessly.
    There are hills in the distance which show their actual depth and
    height, forests (pine and decidious) that you can walk through,
    buildings which you can enter and explore, etc. etc.

    And I mean this island is BIG. I remember wrecking the motorcycle you
    use at the beginning of the game and trying to walk to the next town.
    FORGET IT! It was way too far. It actually takes you about 15 mins to
    drive to your first mission. And all the while you're driving past
    farms, road signs, forests, other traffic, buildings, etc.

    It wasn't up to today's graphical standards of course, but it was
    nicely immersive.

    I forgot to mention Grand Theft Auto 3 as one of my favorites. The
    disappearing/reappearing pedistrians and traffic ruined it a bit, but
    it was/is still pretty awesome.
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca> wrote:
    >"Blabbus Blabbibicus" <blabbus@talk.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I thought Morrowind was the only beautiful and immersive 3D gaming
    >> world out there with large expansive outdoor enviroments, but I
    >> recently played Gothic 1 and Operation Flashpoint: Cold War and was
    >> pretty impressed with what was presented. The sunrise lighting in
    >> OPF:CW's 4th/5th scenario was very well done I thought.
    >>
    >> I would have *loved* to see this enviroment used in a FPS RPG of some
    >> sort. Although I imagine recent efforts to create immersive
    >> enviroments are even better. (Wouldn't know...my system can't handle
    >> them.)
    >>
    >> What are your favorites?
    >
    >The world outside my window really kicks ass, best 3D and lighting I've ever
    >seen. NPCs are very realistic, appearing to live their own lives, sound
    >quality is superb, better than anything I've ever heard. Most amazing of
    >all is the open-ended design, giving me the freedom to literally go in any
    >direction I want, do the puzzles and quests in any order. Not sure how big
    >the landscape is, but I have a feeling that I could walk for days without
    >zoning. I'm very impressed, so much so every other game pales in
    >comparison.

    Hahahahaha.
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thusly "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> Spake Unto All:

    >Hmm, so they left the glass walls in then. I thought that might have just
    >been because since that was the first "event" I participated in, it was
    >maybe because the terrain wasn't completely finished. Looks like those
    >glass canyons were indeed a "feature".

    What it is, is that steeply sloping terrain is impassable. You can't
    climb rockfaces, or jump off cliffs.

    --
    A True Hero: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/03/magazine/03ALI.html
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Knight37 wrote:

    > Blabbus Blabbibicus <blabbus@talk.com> once tried to test me with:
    >

    >>What are your favorites?
    >

    > Far Cry is extremely cool graphically. Physics are also good. Very
    > immersive. Half-Life 2 is also very well done, and the physics are
    > astounding in it. I wasn't that thrilled with Doom 3, maybe if someone does
    > something other than a corridor shooter with it I'll be impressed then.
    > That Vampire Bloodlines game also is pretty cool 3D especially for an RPG
    > but I never got very far in it.

    Doom 3 was TOO dark and too predictable. While I can see the engine
    being used for cool stuff, it doesn't look like anyone is picking it up.

    HL2 was a good game for basic stuff, but I'd like to see more games like
    VtM:B use the HL2 engine for the coolness ;-)

    Gothic is also pretty nice...and it looks like Elder Scrolls V is gonna
    be rockin' IF you have the beef to play it.
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Richard Wingrove wrote:

    > "Blabbus Blabbibicus" <blabbus@talk.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I thought Morrowind was the only beautiful and immersive 3D gaming
    >>world out there with large expansive outdoor enviroments, but I
    >>recently played Gothic 1 and Operation Flashpoint: Cold War and was
    >>pretty impressed with what was presented. The sunrise lighting in
    >>OPF:CW's 4th/5th scenario was very well done I thought.
    >>
    >>I would have *loved* to see this enviroment used in a FPS RPG of some
    >>sort. Although I imagine recent efforts to create immersive
    >>enviroments are even better. (Wouldn't know...my system can't handle
    >>them.)
    >>
    >>What are your favorites?
    >

    > At the time it was released, Trespasser was pretty impressive. Fond memories
    > of leaping off the top of a waterfall, and having enough time to appreciate
    > the scenery before landing in the pool at the bottom :)

    Don't get me started on Trespasser ;-)

    > I'd like to see the Half-Life 2 graphics used in an RPG, but I don't know if
    > the engine can cope with large non-linear environments.

    It is used with VtM:Bloodlines.
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Seymour C. Moore wrote:

    > Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote in news:slrnd7jlcg.5eh.google@ID-
    > 171443.user.uni-berlin.de:
    >
    > Vanilla Morrowind does look rather dated now.
    > You should install some of the graphics replacers.
    > It looks really good with these installed:
    > Morrowind Visual Pack from
    > http://khalazza.production.free.fr/view_plugin.php?ref=21
    > Morrowind Visual Pack 2.2 [Nature] from
    > http://khalazza.production.free.fr/view_plugin.php?ref=29
    > Visual Pack XT from http://www.thelys.org/mods.php?a=Qarl#Visual_Pack_XT

    Beware the XT package. If you are only slightly above min spec, it will
    slow your machine down to a crawl!

    > Better Sky by Thann from
    > http://www.rpgplanet.com/morrowind/modcontrols/mod.asp?modid=4437
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Mean_Chlorine wrote:
    > Thusly "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> Spake Unto All:
    >
    >> Hmm, so they left the glass walls in then. I thought that might
    >> have just been because since that was the first "event" I
    >> participated in, it was maybe because the terrain wasn't completely
    >> finished. Looks like those glass canyons were indeed a "feature".
    >
    > What it is, is that steeply sloping terrain is impassable. You can't
    > climb rockfaces, or jump off cliffs.

    That's not really what I'm talking about--I can understand and accept stuff
    like that. I'm talking about the feeling I got from my experience which was
    sort of like being a hamster inside a clear glass tube.

    --
    chainbreaker
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Outcast.

    Beautiful voxel graphics made the landscape so natural. It was so
    cool having the alien citizens wave and cheer you as you walked past
    them later in the game after helping them. The game was incredibly
    immersive for it's time.

    When you walked up to an npc the camera would switch to a different
    angle and the npc would step back to fit in the scene. When they
    stepped back they would look behind themselves - pretty cool for the
    time.

    While the plot was not PS:T material it was cool. The hardest aspect
    was learning all the names for things in the world as it was an alien
    world and nothing was named in english.

    That game immersed me like no other even though it was an
    action/adventure game. I would have loved to have seen a sequel. I
    may have to do some web searching to see if I can still purchase it
    again.

    Hmm...found this: http://www.outcast-thegame.com/. Looks like they
    still have an extremely dated website up.

    Here's a review:
    http://www.adventurecollective.com/reviews/outcast.htm

    And a quick search revealed
    http://www.cdaccess.com/html/pc/outcast.htm
    $30 for the game in 2005???? Are they crazy??? But it was so damn
    good...I may have to buy it.

PC gaming Gaming RPG 3D Video Games