  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
May 5, 2005 9:46:15 AM

I've played ToEE, and really like the turn-based combat which gives
every fight really tactical content. Since then I've moved on to IWD2
(and maybe next will be BG2 - I'm moving back through history :) )

However, I find the real-time combat really hard to control, and even
if I pause the game very often I can't tell which character I should
choose the next move for, etc. Can someone recommend a good intro on
the net, or give some advice as to how to get started getting into this
new frame of mind for combat? I'd really like to get a feel for what I
should be doing. Also, did anyone else have difficulty adjusting, or is
it just me?!

Cheers,
Andy

More about : infinity engine combat

Anonymous
May 5, 2005 4:53:58 PM

I haven't played any games that run using the Infinity Engine in a
while. I've never played IWD2, so I'm not familiar with IWD2's combat
system. However, I have played BG2:ToB and IWD: HoW. In both games, if
I remember correctly, the characters of your party ran using AI
scripts. BG2 even came with an AI compiler, which enabled you to write
your own scripts. I wrote my own scripts for my party, but I think BG2
came with pre-installed scripts. Since you're having difficulty in
IWD2, I'm guessing that all the characters in your party are controlled
by yourself? If so... what I found helpful in BG2 and IWD was pausing,
sending a melee character with a lot of HP (usually a Half-Orc
Barbarian or Fighter) to the battle front, letting him hack away at the
enemies and take most of the damage. I usually have a priest in my
party that makes sure my half orc doesn't die. Real-time takes some
practice... but after a while, you'll get used to it.
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 2:51:46 AM

On 5 May 2005 05:46:15 -0700, a_n_d_y_bell@hotmail.co.uk wrote:

>I've played ToEE, and really like the turn-based combat which gives
>every fight really tactical content. Since then I've moved on to IWD2
>(and maybe next will be BG2 - I'm moving back through history :) )
>
>However, I find the real-time combat really hard to control, and even
>if I pause the game very often I can't tell which character I should
>choose the next move for, etc. Can someone recommend a good intro on
>the net, or give some advice as to how to get started getting into this
>new frame of mind for combat? I'd really like to get a feel for what I
>should be doing. Also, did anyone else have difficulty adjusting, or is
>it just me?!
>
>Cheers,
>Andy

Best thing to do is disable the scripts so that characters don't go
off and do their own thing during battle. Secondly choose an
appropriate formation and move very slowly. BY that I mean don't
click far away from your present poistion to move characters to that
spot. Rather be cautious as you can trigger huge hordes when you
aren't ready. This is especially problematic in the IWD series. Also
get your party balance right. I usually went with two melee tanks, A
rogue with proficiencies in bows and such, a ranger, a mage or
sorceror and a cleric. The cleric was a reserve melee fighter whose
main task was to heal and turn undead. THe rogue and ranger would sit
back and attack from range as would the magic user. A slow, but
effective tactic is to set up your party in an area select your
strongest character have him move forward, trigger a monster or two
and then lead 'em back to an ambush. Also use spells such as Web,
Entangle but make sure you don't trap your own party members.

Lynley
May 6, 2005 4:26:32 AM

<a_n_d_y_bell@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> I've played ToEE, and really like the turn-based combat which gives
> every fight really tactical content. Since then I've moved on to IWD2
> (and maybe next will be BG2 - I'm moving back through history :) )
>
> However, I find the real-time combat really hard to control, and even
> if I pause the game very often I can't tell which character I should
> choose the next move for, etc. Can someone recommend a good intro on
> the net, or give some advice as to how to get started getting into this
> new frame of mind for combat? I'd really like to get a feel for what I
> should be doing. Also, did anyone else have difficulty adjusting, or is
> it just me?!

Different combats require differemt tactics. But ya probably wanna take out
spellcasters first. Ya wanna have tanks up front to absorb most of the
damage. Missle weapons for the non tanks are a good idea as well. As far
as not knowing what character to select next, it doesn't really matter, give
all your characters commands while the game is paused. They go and do their
actions at the same time. If ya notice a flaw, or someone getting hurt,
pause and issue new commands to the characters that need adjustments.

To summarize, issue commands to all characters at the start of combat.
Puase and assign actions, of course ya might not need to do this for all
charaters, depending on ght battle and your strat. But the point is issuing
multiple orders while paused is the way to go. Then whatch what happens in
battle, and pause and adjust as needed.

Grotnar
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 2:22:04 PM

I disable all scripts and use the pause button manually. When combat
begins I pause and set what I want each character to do -- for fighters
it's usually just click once on the fighter and then click once on a
nearby enemy -- and then let them do their thing until I want them to
do something different or a situation changes. For spellcasters
usually I pause after a spell is cast so that I can cast another spell.

This is a lot more work than letting characters do what the computer
wants them to do but I don't want to play a game with auto-combat as
that's no fun to me and the "work" is a big part of the fun of the game
for me.
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 5:57:42 PM

<a_n_d_y_bell@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> I've played ToEE, and really like the turn-based combat which gives
> every fight really tactical content. Since then I've moved on to IWD2
> (and maybe next will be BG2 - I'm moving back through history :) )
>
> However, I find the real-time combat really hard to control, and even
> if I pause the game very often I can't tell which character I should
> choose the next move for, etc. Can someone recommend a good intro on
> the net, or give some advice as to how to get started getting into this
> new frame of mind for combat? I'd really like to get a feel for what I
> should be doing. Also, did anyone else have difficulty adjusting, or is
> it just me?!

You can set the game to pause between each 'round', as well as when specific
things happen, which might help.
As for combat, I usually equip everyone with ranged weapons, and start by
concentrating everyone's (except the mages) attacks at the same target. This
helps to cut the enemy down before they get too close.
For the mages, it depends on whether you're up against enemy mages - if so,
you have to start off by dispelling whichever protections they have up,
which can get quite annoying (certain protective spells can only be
cancelled by specific counter-spells, so you have to have a wide range
memorised).
For enemies without mages, I usually start off with area affect spells - so
that while everyone else is sticking them full of arrows, the mages are
pulverising them with fireballs or whatever. Then when the fighters switch
to meelee, start using single-target spells.
As someone else said, you can set party members to use AI scripts for their
default actions - I usually go with heals and ranged attacks for clerics,
and ranged attacks for mages.

Rich
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 9:10:15 AM

On 5 May 2005 05:46:15 -0700, a_n_d_y_bell@hotmail.co.uk wrote:

>I've played ToEE, and really like the turn-based combat which gives
>every fight really tactical content. Since then I've moved on to IWD2
>(and maybe next will be BG2 - I'm moving back through history :) )
>
>However, I find the real-time combat really hard to control, and even
>if I pause the game very often I can't tell which character I should
>choose the next move for, etc. Can someone recommend a good intro on
>the net, or give some advice as to how to get started getting into this
>new frame of mind for combat? I'd really like to get a feel for what I
>should be doing. Also, did anyone else have difficulty adjusting, or is
>it just me?!

Rule Number 1 with the Infinity Engine. The space bar is your best
friend.

I tried the "pausing after every round" options, and just found that
it went too slowly.

I never disabled the AI scripts like other people did. Therefore AoE
spells were always problematic. It was too hard to cast fireball with
any effectiveness because the engine doesn't show the Area of the AoE
when you are selecting your target position.

Personally I found the mage spells most useful for dispelling, tough
spells that wouldn't let my tanks go to work. Every once in awhile in
a tough battle, spells would be useful. But for the most part, it was
just easier, to let my tanks go to work on auto-script rather than
micro-managing my spell casters to get out there spells.
May 11, 2005 6:16:52 PM

On Thu, 05 May 2005 22:51:46 +0200, Lynley James
<lynley.james@gmail.com> wrote:

>Best thing to do is disable the scripts so that characters don't go
>off and do their own thing during battle.

Good advice! That's the way I always played infinity engine games, and
it prevents AI stupidity such as chaincasting fireballs into a melee
combat and killing your own guys, etc...

All your advice looked pretty good, but I'd add that there is no queue
function in the infinity engine. If you pause and give new orders (or
even repeat the same order) the character will cancel their current
activity and begin (or restart) the new one. That can be pretty damn
annoying, but it's pretty easy to avoid.
!