UPC Barcode question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm putting out a record, and putting the barcode on the cd design has been
left up to me. I've been told that I need a special program to do this.
What info is contained on the barcode? And what program do I need to make it?

On 13 Jan 2005 20:48:07 GMT, docgorpon@aol.com (Doc Gorpon) wrote:

>I'm putting out a record, and putting the barcode on the cd design has been
>left up to me. I've been told that I need a special program to do this.
>What info is contained on the barcode? And what program do I need to make it?

You need a manufacturer ID #. Find someone who will let you use
theirs. Its the first 5 digits, the rest of them are up to you (and
the original ID # people who will give you an available number.)

To get an ID # from the Universal Product Code people is horrifically
expensive now and has recurring yearly expenses. Thanks to a recent
class-action lawsuit, those with old ID #s can avoid the yearly costs.

Google the RAP archive and see what was said about this about a year
ago.

The replicator may be able to let you use theirs (Discmakers has that
exact service.)

Kurt Riemann

> I'm putting out a record, and putting the barcode on the cd design has
> been
> left up to me. I've been told that I need a special program to do this.
> What info is contained on the barcode? And what program do I need to make
> it?

If the bar code represents an ISBN number, try:

www.cgpp.com/bookland/isbn.html

-John O

In article <_iBFd.8796$Vj3.4560@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>,
John O <johno@#no^spam&heathkit.com> wrote:
>> I'm putting out a record, and putting the barcode on the cd design has
>> been
>> left up to me. I've been told that I need a special program to do this.
>> What info is contained on the barcode? And what program do I need to make
>> it?
>
>If the bar code represents an ISBN number, try:

It does not, it represents a UPC.

You need to get the UPC code from the customer, and you can then generate
the barcode with a number of programs. The linux one that I know of is
just called "barcodetopnm" and is part of the portable pixmap toolkit.
--scott

On 13 Jan 2005 16:05:20 -0500, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>In article <_iBFd.8796$Vj3.4560@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>,
>John O <johno@#no^spam&heathkit.com> wrote:
>>> I'm putting out a record, and putting the barcode on the cd design has
>>> been
>>> left up to me. I've been told that I need a special program to do this.
>>> What info is contained on the barcode? And what program do I need to make
>>> it?
>>
>>If the bar code represents an ISBN number, try:
>
>It does not, it represents a UPC.
>
>You need to get the UPC code from the customer, and you can then generate
>the barcode with a number of programs. The linux one that I know of is
>just called "barcodetopnm" and is part of the portable pixmap toolkit.
>--scott

A good PC one is dBarcode.

Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
@/

Kurt Riemann <> wrote:

> The replicator may be able to let you use theirs (Discmakers has that
> exact service.)

Do all audio CDs need a UPC number and barcode? What are the rules? Who
sets these rules?

sincerely
Lars Farm

--
lars farm // http://www.farm.se
lars is also a mail-account on the server farm.se

Troy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

Call any CD duplication place and buy one.We sell them for $75.00
Canadian.These are registered and are your own UPC code.You can email me if
you wish to buy one.

--
Thanks
Troy Tremblay

In article <1gqdgxq.zddia4j0r1vwN%see.bottom.of.page@farm.se> see.bottom.of.page@farm.se writes:

> Do all audio CDs need a UPC number and barcode? What are the rules? Who
> sets these rules?

The UPC bar code is important if you're going to sell through a store
or distributor. They use it to track sales. If you're making CDs in
your back room and are going to sell them at gigs or through your own
web site, there's no need for a bar code.

So, it's the retailers that make the "rules," and the rule is that if
it doesn't have a bar code that they can scan at the cash register,
they may not take it for sale.

Lars Farm <see.bottom.of.page@farm.se> wrote:
>Kurt Riemann <> wrote:
>
>> The replicator may be able to let you use theirs (Discmakers has that
>> exact service.)
>
>Do all audio CDs need a UPC number and barcode? What are the rules? Who
>sets these rules?

The stores set the rules. You can sell without a UPC number and barcode,
but a lot of stores and distributors won't carry them because they can't
keep track of them. Also, without one, you don't get much feedback about
sales through Soundscan.
--scott

So what information is on those barcodes ?

Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
@/

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:44:25 GMT, "Troy" <alternate-root@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>Call any CD duplication place and buy one.We sell them for $75.00
>Canadian.These are registered and are your own UPC code.You can email me if
>you wish to buy one.

"Frank Vuotto" wrote ...
> So what information is on those barcodes ?

How UPC barcodes work....
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/upc.htm
Basicly, they contain only the manufacturer's ID
number (first half), and the individual item number
(last half).

Of course other barcodes (other than the UPC) contain
all manner of info.

For those interested in getting UPC barcodes for their
own CDs...
http://www.cdbaby.net/resources/barcode.htm

Frank Vuotto <deepthrob@hotmail.com> wrote:

>So what information is on those barcodes ?

A Universal Product Code. This contains a vendor ID number and an item
number. The vendor ID must be purchased from the committee that assigns
the codes, but once the record label has it, they can use a large number
if item codes with it.

Go to the grocery and look at some. The numbers at the bottom of the
code are a human-readable version of the stuff in the bars. Compare
some of the labels from the same and different vendors.

For a small label, they may choose to use a code from the replication
house. For example, if Europadisc makes your CDs up for you, they will
give you for a small fee a UPC code which contains their vendor ID and
an item number assigned to them. If you just need the UPC code for
distributor and retailer inventory control, this is fine. But, you will
not get good Soundscan data this way.
--scott