Old Motorola bag phone w/ Cingular?

I have a beautiful old Motorola bag phone that was originally used with
AT&T Wireless. We used this phone from 1997 to about 2000 when we
replaced it with a smaller Nokia. The Nokia did the job, but I miss the
handset size and power output of the older phone.

I found the wall charging cord today while cleaning so I decided to fire
the old beast up. Except for not having a network that will recognize
it, it seems to work great.

Are there any options for using this thing, either as a second phone on
my Cingular plan or on a prepaid plan? I'd like to leave it in the
trunk of the car of occasional use. (My wife is carrying a newer
digital Nokia on a Cingular plan.)

Thanks,
Mike
5 answers Last reply
More about motorola phone cingular

    Mike wrote:

    > I have a beautiful old Motorola bag phone that was originally used with
    > AT&T Wireless. We used this phone from 1997 to about 2000 when we
    > replaced it with a smaller Nokia. The Nokia did the job, but I miss the
    > handset size and power output of the older phone.
    >
    > I found the wall charging cord today while cleaning so I decided to fire
    > the old beast up. Except for not having a network that will recognize
    > it, it seems to work great.
    >
    > Are there any options for using this thing, either as a second phone on
    > my Cingular plan or on a prepaid plan? I'd like to leave it in the
    > trunk of the car of occasional use. (My wife is carrying a newer
    > digital Nokia on a Cingular plan.)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mike

    It should work fine so long as it's within range of a cell site still
    offering AMPS service. If you're in an urban area, that's getting dicey
    these days.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    It will work on the old AMPS analog system for as long as that's kept in
    place (which may not be for long!). If you don't have it activated you
    can use it to call 911. Remember though that just because it's a high
    powered analog unit doesn't mean that it will work better than a new low
    power GSM unit.

    From:Mike
    mbbrutman@yahoo.com

    BruceR wrote:

    > It will work on the old AMPS analog system for as long as that's kept in
    > place (which may not be for long!). If you don't have it activated you
    > can use it to call 911. Remember though that just because it's a high
    > powered analog unit doesn't mean that it will work better than a new low
    > power GSM unit.

    It can do 911 duty ... I'd rather use it for the occasional phone, but
    I understand analog won't last forever.

    The phone just has such a nice feel to it - full handset & nice weight.
    And the power .. I haven't done extensive shopping, but I can't
    remember the last time I've seen anything that looked like the old
    Motorola bag phones. For occasional users who don't want the things in
    their shirt pockets, they were great units.

    Mike

    Now you can have the best of both worlds - see www.phobile.com and
    www.pokia.com for old style handsets that will work with your headset.
    As for the power issue, Your 600mw digital probably gets better
    reception with less interference than your old 3 watt AMPS bagphone and
    better battery life too.

    From:Mike
    mbbrutman@yahoo.com

    "Mike" <mbbrutman@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > I have a beautiful old Motorola bag phone that was originally used with
    > AT&T Wireless. We used this phone from 1997 to about 2000 when we
    > replaced it with a smaller Nokia. The Nokia did the job, but I miss the
    > handset size and power output of the older phone.

    I had one that I purchased in 1993!

    I figure it is good only as a paperweight...

    --
    These ain't Mentos... but they'll freshen your breath!
    http://tinyurl.com/cr5ka

Motorola Phones Cingular