Old Motorola bag phone w/ Cingular?

Last response: in Brands
Share
August 21, 2005 11:09:15 PM

I have a beautiful old Motorola bag phone that was originally used with
AT&T Wireless. We used this phone from 1997 to about 2000 when we
replaced it with a smaller Nokia. The Nokia did the job, but I miss the
handset size and power output of the older phone.

I found the wall charging cord today while cleaning so I decided to fire
the old beast up. Except for not having a network that will recognize
it, it seems to work great.

Are there any options for using this thing, either as a second phone on
my Cingular plan or on a prepaid plan? I'd like to leave it in the
trunk of the car of occasional use. (My wife is carrying a newer
digital Nokia on a Cingular plan.)

Thanks,
Mike
August 22, 2005 1:26:57 AM

Mike wrote:

> I have a beautiful old Motorola bag phone that was originally used with
> AT&T Wireless. We used this phone from 1997 to about 2000 when we
> replaced it with a smaller Nokia. The Nokia did the job, but I miss the
> handset size and power output of the older phone.
>
> I found the wall charging cord today while cleaning so I decided to fire
> the old beast up. Except for not having a network that will recognize
> it, it seems to work great.
>
> Are there any options for using this thing, either as a second phone on
> my Cingular plan or on a prepaid plan? I'd like to leave it in the
> trunk of the car of occasional use. (My wife is carrying a newer
> digital Nokia on a Cingular plan.)
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

It should work fine so long as it's within range of a cell site still
offering AMPS service. If you're in an urban area, that's getting dicey
these days.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

It will work on the old AMPS analog system for as long as that's kept in
place (which may not be for long!). If you don't have it activated you
can use it to call 911. Remember though that just because it's a high
powered analog unit doesn't mean that it will work better than a new low
power GSM unit.

From:Mike
mbbrutman@yahoo.com

> I have a beautiful old Motorola bag phone that was originally used
> with AT&T Wireless. We used this phone from 1997 to about 2000 when
> we replaced it with a smaller Nokia. The Nokia did the job, but I
> miss the handset size and power output of the older phone.
>
> I found the wall charging cord today while cleaning so I decided to
> fire the old beast up. Except for not having a network that will
> recognize it, it seems to work great.
>
> Are there any options for using this thing, either as a second phone
> on my Cingular plan or on a prepaid plan? I'd like to leave it in the
> trunk of the car of occasional use. (My wife is carrying a newer
> digital Nokia on a Cingular plan.)
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
Related resources
August 22, 2005 4:39:11 AM

BruceR wrote:

> It will work on the old AMPS analog system for as long as that's kept in
> place (which may not be for long!). If you don't have it activated you
> can use it to call 911. Remember though that just because it's a high
> powered analog unit doesn't mean that it will work better than a new low
> power GSM unit.

It can do 911 duty ... I'd rather use it for the occasional phone, but
I understand analog won't last forever.

The phone just has such a nice feel to it - full handset & nice weight.
And the power .. I haven't done extensive shopping, but I can't
remember the last time I've seen anything that looked like the old
Motorola bag phones. For occasional users who don't want the things in
their shirt pockets, they were great units.

Mike
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 10:13:30 AM

Now you can have the best of both worlds - see www.phobile.com and
www.pokia.com for old style handsets that will work with your headset.
As for the power issue, Your 600mw digital probably gets better
reception with less interference than your old 3 watt AMPS bagphone and
better battery life too.

From:Mike
mbbrutman@yahoo.com

> BruceR wrote:
>
>> It will work on the old AMPS analog system for as long as that's
>> kept in place (which may not be for long!). If you don't have it
>> activated you can use it to call 911. Remember though that just
>> because it's a high powered analog unit doesn't mean that it will
>> work better than a new low power GSM unit.
>
> It can do 911 duty ... I'd rather use it for the occasional phone,
> but I understand analog won't last forever.
>
> The phone just has such a nice feel to it - full handset & nice
> weight. And the power .. I haven't done extensive shopping, but I
> can't remember the last time I've seen anything that looked like the
> old Motorola bag phones. For occasional users who don't want the
> things in their shirt pockets, they were great units.
>

> Mike
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 2:14:31 AM

"Mike" <mbbrutman@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I have a beautiful old Motorola bag phone that was originally used with
> AT&T Wireless. We used this phone from 1997 to about 2000 when we
> replaced it with a smaller Nokia. The Nokia did the job, but I miss the
> handset size and power output of the older phone.

I had one that I purchased in 1993!

I figure it is good only as a paperweight...

--
These ain't Mentos... but they'll freshen your breath!
http://tinyurl.com/cr5ka