Sign in with
Your question

Heatsink Fan & Case Fan Questions

Last response: in Components
February 3, 2003 12:48:40 AM

Hello folks.

Would you be so kind as to help me with these questions about heatsink and case fans?

Let's say I have a computer with an Asus A7S333 motherboard, Athlon XP CPU, full tower case, running Windows XP...

And let's say I am going to have a different Heatsink Fan, as well as different case fans put in.

What is the minimum and ideal CFM for the Heatsink Fan to have?

What is the minimum and ideal number of intake case fans to have?

What is the minimum and ideal CFM for the intake case fan(s) to have?

Should the intake fan(s) go in the front of the case? (Where specifically is best?)

What is the minimum and ideal number of exhaust case fans to have?

What is the minimum and ideal CFM for the exhaust case fan(s) to have?

Should the exhaust fan(s) go in the back of the case? (Where specifically is best?)

Is it best to use the same brand/model/power of case fan for all fans used?

Is it best for the total CFM of the intake fans to equal the total CFM of the exhaust fans?

Thank you very much!

Best wishes,
DuckTape
February 3, 2003 9:19:16 AM

A. the CPU cooler fan can run quite slow, if you use a large enough heatsink. a good allround cooler is the volcano 9, or something else that takes the 80mm smartfan2. it has temp control, thats quite useful.

regarding intake and exhaust fans, you can get away with suprisingly little if the case is a good one and is well designed.
one medium to slow rear fan can be enough if no overclocking is planned.

the most effective place for a single fan is at the back, below the PSU, venting warm air from around the CPU.

usually 2 fans is sufficient, one front suckin in and one rear blowing out (ignoring the psu fans)

and yes, balance the fans... just get two of the same speed.

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>
February 3, 2003 9:42:56 PM

Thanks for your replies, lhgpoobaa and all.

lhgpoobaa,

<< regarding intake and exhaust fans, you can get away with suprisingly little if the case is a good one and is well designed. >>

What characteristics would a case have in order for it to be well designed so that it can get by with just one exhaust fan (and no intake fan)?

Also, can you tell me what cases (brands/models) you know that meet these criteria?

How about In Win's Q500?

Thanks much!
DuckTape
Related resources
February 3, 2003 10:10:58 PM

the case characteristics you are looking for is <b>LOW RESTRICTION</b>

look at the intake and exhaust grills. is it a fine wire grill or a innefficient series of punched holes?

the easier air can get in and out the better. Many cheaper cases are particularly poor, especially with fan holes at the front.

Speaking generally the better more expensive aluminium cases are better ventilated, having mroe fanholes as well as better designed ones.

i took a quick look at the inwin case, but i dont see how the front fan can get any air into the case.

try looking at antec, lian li, enermax or atlas cases.

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>
February 4, 2003 7:16:12 AM

Aluminum means nothing, it's all about quality design. I have GATEWAY cases that have a SUPURB design for the integrated fan grille, and some "name brand" cases that don't! There are a lot of cheap aluminum cases out there, some of them are expensive at certain vendors, yet maintain the low quality design. No use in getting an expensive aluminum case just to get good fan grills when a good quality steel case can be had with similar grille design at lower cost.

Oh, and my Dell/Micron/etc Palo Alto (plastic) cases have almost no restriction in the fan grille, the grille is almost a wide mesh (my gateway cases have sturdier grilles that still offer good flow).

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>
February 4, 2003 9:27:06 AM

point... though far greater number of aluminium cases are more expensive and thus (hopefully) are betterdesigned.

bottom line, look at what you are getting. use common sense.
can the air easily get in and out?

<font color=purple><i>Melb_angel19</i></font color=purple>
February 4, 2003 2:29:04 PM

PooBaa... please watch which account you're using. You're are mixing up accounts outside The Other.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek: 
February 5, 2003 2:43:04 AM

LOL it was her!!!
heh. advice is advice :wink:

February 7, 2003 2:58:02 PM

Cool... are you teaching her hardware stuff or did she know that already. I know that she knows a lot about software...

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek: 
!