Dual DDR mix 'n match?

McGrupp2000

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2003
I have an Asus A7N8x mobo with 1 stick of 256 DDR400 C2.5 Kingston mem and I want to add another stick for the dual DDR. Do I have to stay with the exact same type/manufacturer of memory? I know I have to stay with 256 meg, but can I use a slightly slower/cheaper stick? Since I a 2100+ XP Palamino, my fsb is at 266 so real fast mem like the DDR400 is untapped at the moment. Thoughts?

Also, out of curiosity, who are the OEM's for "generic" and house brand mem boards? I stay clear of them but was just wondering who really does make them. Thanks.

DanW

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2003
If you're underclocking your current memory, adding a new stick of slower memory shouldn't hurt. The only difference between slower and faster memory is that the 'faster' memory has been tested to work correctly at the faster speed.

My first computer was a Packard Bell. I'm glad it was a Packard Bell. It taught me a lot about computers. Specifically, how NOT to build a computer.

DanW

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2003
If you're underclocking your current memory, adding a new stick of slower memory shouldn't hurt. The only difference between slower and faster memory is that the 'faster' memory has been tested to work correctly at the faster speed.

My first computer was a Packard Bell. I'm glad it was a Packard Bell. It taught me a lot about computers. Specifically, how NOT to build a computer.

DanW

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2003

-----

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Generally speaking it's a good idea to stick with the same manufacturer/model, but it is not strictly necessary. Usually mixing different brands of RAM is okay. Usually mixing different size and speeds of ram is okay. Please note that I said USUALLY and not always.

Of course the system will go at the speed of the slowest ram, so getting ddr333 will effectively underclock your ddr400, even with dual channels.

Generally speaking getting the same brand and model will avoid all compatibility issues. Mixing brands/models will usually work, but is not gaurenteed.

Also you can mix different sizes of Ram with this model motherboard. You can for instance mix a stick of 256 with a stick of 512 (giving you 768 megs total). The dual channel should still work fine (tested by tomshardware and anandtech). So long as you have 2 sticks and only 2 sticks, the size doesn't matter.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

McGrupp2000

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2003
Thanks for the input. I just ordered another stick at the same speed and cas, just different manufacturer (samsung). I dind't know you could mix sizes like that though. Thats good to know.