Replacing router on a network

This is a small business, our IT suck, so we are in the process of looking for a better company. We wanted to replace the router that is used for the internet and it didn't go so well.

We had internet on all the computers but the lan did not work.

So the question is why?

So here is the configuration. The old router was a linksys e4200 the new router is a cisco rv220w. The wireless connection speed was awesome compared to the e4200 but we had to put the e4200 back on because the lan did not work.

The setup is modem - > router

The router feeds:

lan 1 port, feeds to a d-link switch, which runs office #2 lan - server (server 2008 software), printer and two work stations.

lan 2 port, feeds computer #1 in office #1.

lan 3 port, feeds computer #2 in office #1.

lan 4 port, feeds a bizhub 250 printer.

What I am actually confused about is why did the lan in office #2 go down when the router is only suppose to be feeding internet to the network?

I need to understand this better since the IT company we had dealt with doesn't always do it's job but we are kind of stuck with them until we find a new company.

We thought this was going to be just a simple plug n' play. So when you get done laughing maybe someone could point out the obvious to me.

In hind sight I am wondering if we had changed the ip address of the new router to match the ip address of the old router, if everything would have worked or is there something else we are missing.

Thanks to all those who respond.
3 answers Last reply
More about replacing router network
  1. As described, this isn't a very complicated network architecture. In fact, except for the D-Link switch, it's just wireless and a few LAN ports. So something is amiss, but based on the information provided, it's not obvious what that is.

One thing I would do is remove the switch (temporarily) and connect some wired device directly to LAN port #1. IOW, see if removing the switch changes things for the better. I assume you tried using different ports to determine if LAN port #1 is simply a hardware failure.

Another option would be to return to using the original router, disable its wireless AP, and patch the Cisco wireless router as only a wireless AP (i.e., disable its DHCP server, give it a unique IP in the same network as the primary router, and connect them LAN to LAN) . No, it’s not an ideal situation, but you’d be taking what you know works from each router to create one “logical” router. At least until you determined the real source of the problem.
  2. the new router needs to use the same IP scheme than the old router.

also make sure the DHCP range is the same in case the Server and printer have a Static IP. the Linksys use 50 IPs the Cisco uses 150 IPs for DHCP.

what model switch is the D-Link?

can port 2+3 print to port 4 on the Cisco?
  3. The D-Link is a DGS-2208 gigabit switch.
Ask a new question

Read More

Routers LAN Networking