NetMeeting with MN700

I can't get netmeeting to work with a MN700. I can
connect outbound, but no one can call me. I've tried
setting up a DMZ and port forwarding, but neither work!
Can someone help me?

J Koz wrote:
> I can't get netmeeting to work with a MN700. I can
> connect outbound, but no one can call me. I've tried
> setting up a DMZ and port forwarding, but neither work!
> Can someone help me?

Using the dmz should do the trick -- assuming that there is no firewall or
other impediment locally ( on the target client). Does the client have a
software firewall ( the built in XP one perhaps) enabled?

If the client is the dmz client incoming calls made directly to the wan IP
of the router (assuming it is not also a NAT'ed ip) should be forwarded. No
other calling strategy ( ils server, messenger based invite from your end)
will work.

--
Brian Sullivan
Meeting by Wire ( http://www.meetingbywire.com)

The computer does not have the XP firewall or any software
firewall enabled. I am using the external ip of the cable
modem which I can ping from a different network. This one
really is killing me. Thank you for your help.

I presume the cable modem IP is bridged to the router -- the wan IP of the
router is the same as the "cable modem IP"?

I presume also that the cable modem IP/router IP is determined just before
the call -- i.e. that the IP address is current and correct.

You should make sure that the only the dmz function is set -- and that no NM
related ports are forwarded. I am not sure about the MN700 but with some
routers doing both confuses the router and causes strange results.

If you do get the dmz funtion to work you should make sure that the dmz
computer *is* running a software firewall ( the XP firewall needs ports 1503
and 1720 open to allow incoming NetMeeting calls).

--
Brian Sullivan
Meeting by Wire ( http://www.meetingbywire.com)
------------
Is your PC protected? --

Yes the cable modem is bridged to the WAN side of the
router/AP. I go to whatismyip.com to verify this address
and try to netmeeting to call to that address. Can
netmeeting work without the DMZ activated? I did turn off
all port forwards before trying the DMZ function. Before
I had this router I used to give my internal IP ex:
192.168.0.3 on another router that I had and it worked! I
really don't know how. Thank you again!

That may not be a reliable way to determine the IP address if an http proxy
is in use. The most reliable way to determine the IP address is to use your
browser to view router configuration information ( usually
http://192.168.2.1/ - I am guessing the MN700 is much like the MN500 and the
information is on the primary page-- but I assume you know how to manage the
router already as you have configured the dmz and port forwarding).

> netmeeting work without the DMZ activated?

It depends on what you mean by "work" -- if you want audio/video calling out
( and incoming) you need to use the dmz. Data only calling out needs no
configuration, incoming data calls only need tcp 1503 forwarded.

I did turn off
> all port forwards before trying the DMZ function. Before
> I had this router I used to give my internal IP ex:
> 192.168.0.3 on another router that I had and it worked! I
> really don't know how. Thank you again!

I am not sure what you mean here -- the only way that you could be called
using the private IP as an address is if the caller were on the same private
network.