How can i put a desktop icon on my task bar

alanpigott

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
I have changed to windows 7 and now find it impossible to pin a desktop shortcut to my taskbar ..any solutions ...Alan

MaizeNBlue2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

My Windows 7 PC is down at the moment, so I can't verify this, but I'm pretty sure you just right-click on it and select "Pin to Taskbar."

alanpigott

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

No That doesn't work ..tried it ,, neither does drag and drop ..but thanks

Don't pin the desktop shortcut - pin the actual program or file.
Use the Start Menu, find the program there with the search bar or All Programs (if it isnt already showing the recent program list) and then choose Pin to Taskbar.

helpdesknewby

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
I think i know what you're saying alanpigott, though it looks like no-one else does.
you want to pin the desktop to the task bar so that you can drag files to it. I'm also trying to find out. Every forum respondant misses the point too

Mark Sheridan

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014

Right click on taskbar.
Go to "Toolbars".
Left click "Desktop".

burge007

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015
Open the program you want to pin, once you're in it, it will show up in your taskbar. From there, go to the icon on taskbar when its open, right click and there will be an option to "Pin to Taskbar"

Flying Kiwi 1968

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
None of you seem to get the point of the initial question... the reason I have found this forum is because I put "how to pin an icon to taskbar windows 7" into Google... The reason I also ask is this. I MAKE myself a simple icon in PAINT and save it as a .bmp
Then I create a new folder on the Desktop, change the "folder icon" to the particular one I have created, then USED TO in XP and VISTA, drag and drop it onto the taskbar. That icon has particular info that I require, in this case the WiFi login password which has multiple users here at work.
So... WHY is this function not able to be done now in W7..?.. and in all previous versions it was a simple exercise

Michel_6

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016

Well sometimes google is stupid, before you went to a menu on the top right (with Chrorme) through "tool" and found "add a short cut" , then you had the choice to pin it or put it on your desktop. But now you go through "more tools" and only have the option to pin it on the task bar! that's GG for progress. I'm here because I want it on my desktop...But if I unpin the B...thing it's gone! Thx GG

THOMAS E

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017

I HAVE BEEN USING WIN 7 ULTIMATE FOR YEARS. ALL I HAVE TO DO IS RIGHT CLICK,AND SELECT PIN TO...
BUT THE PROPER WAY TO DO IT,IS TO PUT COPIES OF ALL THE ICONS THAT YOU USE, INTO A SEPARATE FOLDER... THEN FROM THERE, RIGHT CLICK AND SELECT PIN TO. IF THERE WAS A WAY TO SEND YOU AN ATTACHMENT IN HERE, IT WOULD EXPLAIN WHAT I AM TYPING ABOUT.